Wanna Be Startin Somethin live appreciation

analogue

Proud Member
For me Wanna Be Startin Somethin is one of the highlights of an MJ concert. The energy is great, it brings the song to life far more than what the album version does. Honestly, after hearing all the different live versions of Wanna Be Startin Somethin i can't listen to the album version anymore. I love the album version but it really lacks energy compared to the live version. That's another thing that i love about Wanna Be Startin Somethin live is that the sound of it was changed at every concert. For each show we were always gonna get something that sounded different

I totally agree with you. WBBS was definitely the highlight of every MJ concert... The energy as you mentioned was great and also all the HOs and Aaows were just amazing. I haven't listened to the album version in quite some time, I always listen to the live version.

I wish Sony would release live album of just WBBS performances from the Victory Tour, Bad Tour, Dangerous Tour & HIStory Tour... I know that won't happen but you can always dream. :D

and i also loved the fact that it was always sung live

Another thing i forgot the mention was the ad libs.

The album version sounds almost alien compared to the live version.

Favourite Versions:
Victory Tour
Bad Tour

My favorite is HIStory Tour version. Singing was best in Bad Tour but performance was best in HIStory Tour.

ITA! My favourite versions are

Victory Tour
Dangerous Tour

And oh you jsut gotta love the ''flamingo'' steps near the end!

Of course... This song is one of my favourite songs... I love the version in THIS IS IT.

I love that song. I love when he performs "Wanna Be Startin' Somethin' as an opening for the Bad Tour. The Bad Tour version is top notch for me, the performance, the energy and the jacket he wore.

TOP NOTCH

I love that song. I love when he performs "Wanna Be Startin' Somethin' as an opening for the Bad Tour. The Bad Tour version is top notch for me, the performance, the energy and the jacket he wore

He didn't always wear it.

Love all the performances of this but honestly MJ sounded really bad in Munich during the HIStory Tour.. Don't hate me!

Michael was having problems with his voice during the HIStory Tour. You can tell when he sings Wanna Be Startin Somethin and parts of Billie Jean and Beat It. Infact it sounded painfull to me on times

copenhagen 1997 is probably the best history tour performance.

i thought on the bad tour 1988-89 leg, mj always wore the jacket. i know on the 1987 leg he didn't wear the jacket sometimes.

He was fantastic rehearsing it for the This is it concerts,
and I absolutely love this song, i feel it's so motivating "Help me sing it"

I've always preferred the live version to the album version, the energy is so much better. Bad tour and HIStory tour were my favourite live versions and I always loved how he sung it live too ;)

WBSS is definitely one of the best highlights from a Michael Jackson Tour. My favorite would be the Dangerous Tour Performances. Vocals and dancing are perfect.

I've herd that Michael wasn't really satisfied with WBSS' on the album, so maybe the live versions are more what he visualised what the song should of been - faster, more pace with energy - I know a live performance gives that anyway to a song but the sound of WBSS is different to the album, so parhaps Michael took the live version into somthing he wanted the song to be like all along....!!

Back