Today in Michael Jackson History February 4th

qbee

Proud Member
Today in Michael Jackson History February 4th

HISTORICAL DATES

1974 - The Jackson 5 fly home from Dakar, Senegal. after three concerts and many celebrations in their honor.

1990 - The Sammy Davis Jr 60th Anniversary Special which took place November 13, 1989 (Aired on ABC-TV) Michael Jackson performed "You Were There" joining other stars at this musical gala to honor Sammy Davis Jr. with all proceeds, $250,000 being donated to the UNC Fund. The song "You Were There" was written with Buz Kohan especially for Sammy on this occasion. The night before the tribute show, Michael and Buz Kohan, went in the rehearsal hall and wrote a song. They arranged it overnight, and the night of the show was the first and only time he ever performed it.

Michael was not introduced before he came on stage. but after Jessie Jackson spoke some beautiful words about breaking down walls, inspiration, faith and hope to Sammy, the curtain lifted and Michael's silhouette appeared drawing screams and applause from the audience. He then stepped out from behind the glare of several spotlights to perform, "Your Were There". His touching tribute brought a roar of approval from his piers and tears to his idol, who was then battling throat cancer. After Michael finished the performance, Sammy walked over to the stage and as they gave each other a warm embrace, Sammy who could not speak whispers: "I love you Michael". The show would go on to win a Emmy Award and was the last appearance of Sammy who passed away from throat cancer on May 16th, 1990 just a few months after the program was broadcast.

1997 - Michael Jackson testifies at court in Rome Italy over a claim of plagiarism by Italian songwriter Albano Carrisi for the song "Will You Be There". The Italian court ruled in favor of Jackson and Carrisi was ordered to pay all legal fees related to the case. Carrisi claimed that "Will You Be There" was copied from his song "I Cigni di Balaka" ("The Swans of Balaka"). The original case was in favor of Carrisi because Michael didn't appear at that hearing. but Michael appealed and after seven years, an Italian court ruled in his favor.

PICTURES OF THE DAY

2exphxf.jpg

Homage

256bb07.jpg

Michael Jackson "You Were There" Performance 1990

SONG OF THE DAY

You Were There - Sammy Davis Jr. 60th Anniversary

http://youtu.be/RGxRJkBpv0k

VIDEOS OF THE DAY

Michael Jackson - Will You Be There, The Cleveland Orchestra - Free Willy Theme

http://youtu.be/jQY_QL_wvQU

QUOTE OF THE DAY

"Carry Me Like You Are My Brother
Love Me Like A Mother
Will You Be There?
"

~ Michael Jackson

You might also enjoy February ~ On This Day In Michael Jackson History - MJ Calendar 2013 in Legacy Project

* Your support and comments are greatly appreciated. Please feel free to contribute to this thread
by commenting, adding pictures, videos or any other information related to this day in MJ History.

Oh that song & Sammy looking at him with those big eyes, just moved me.

Oh that song & Sammy looking at him with those big eyes, just moved me.

I agee it was very moving to see his response and his eyes well up in tears watching Michael sing to him. Their respect and love for one another was mutual. In April 1989 Sammy by tape presented Michael the first, Soul train, Sammy Davis Jr Award ( He was still perfoming at that time and died a yr later in May 1990 of throat cancer.) But he sums up his feeling about Michael's talent and his love and respect for him here.

'89 Sammy Davis Jr. Discuss Michael at Soul Train Awards

http://youtu.be/CS4MSo4HH0E

There are so many great stories and videos. I just adore Sammy Davis Jr. and so did Michael. There is so much I could show of how Michael imulated him and paid homage to him in his own performances that many don't notice.

Is this a second Feb 3rd day--or is this supposed to be Feb 4th?

Qbee if you did not post that photo collage above showing Sammy & Michael poses, I wouldn't have realized that Michael gave so much homage to Sammy in his art. Now as I think about "Bojangles" I see a bigger connection. Thanks for this piece.

Back