Michael Jackson TV Alerts Thread

Re: This Is It Premiering on Channel 5 UK Christmas Day

Michael wasn't acting strange in any footage we've saw of the TII rehearsals imo. He was putting less effort in yes, but that's cause it was rehearsals.

I don't think he's acting strange or looking sick. Skinny maybe, but not sick, in fact he's quite energetic on stage. I'm glad they are showing it. Believe me, compared to some of today's artists, even his rehearsals look fabulous and on a whole another level.

I'm going to watch it, but on TV? Neh, I'm going to watch it on my Blu-Ray in full HD with the surround sound.

I'm going to watch it, but on TV? Neh, I'm going to watch it on my Blu-Ray in full HD with the surround sound.

Waw surround sound, you have a pretty good home theater there. I will be looking at it too and enjoying my blu ray.

Unlike some here there is nothing in TII that makes me think of AEG. I refuse to let Michael's last creative performance be spoiled by negative thoughts. I guess it is just the way people see things.

I always find it difficult to watch it because Michael is gone now. But I think people should watch it. You see how Michael worked and how much he cared. You also see someone who knows what he wanted to happen on stage. He wanted it to be special and I appreciate that. He did have happy moments being back on stage and I feel sad that he couldn't have at least 1 show. You appreciate him as an artist and as a person.

I don't think he's acting strange or looking sick. Skinny maybe, but not sick, in fact he's quite energetic on stage. I'm glad they are showing it. Believe me, compared to some of today's artists, even his rehearsals look fabulous and on a whole another level.

Exactly my thought's.

I do sometimes find it hard to watch This Is It, in the sense that it can get emotional. No way in hell am I letting AEG get in the way of some of Michael's last performances. Never even thought of how they treated him getting in the way of me enjoying TII. I love watching it in Blu-Ray though. The shots filmed in HD look absolutely stunning! Sony are known for producing excellent-looking Blu-Rays and This Is It is no exception!

Question though: Has This Is It never been shown on UK television or something (hence the word 'premiere')? Or has it been shown on UK television before, just not on Channel 5... asking this because I know of movie channels (not in the UK) that aired it a good 3 years ago...

I wish the media would show something that shows him in his prime as many times as they show TII. But if it's a "premiere" maybe they show it for the first time in the UK? In my country they have played it many times and while it's nice I wish they'd show something like Wembley'88 or Bucharest'92 something that shows him in his prime, rather than playing TII over and over again.

I don't think he's "acting strange" (don't even know what was meant by that by the poster who said it), but he's obviously not in his prime and we know by now why. To me it's just hard to watch, especially knowing what went on behind the scenes.

The penguin move is not strange? Makes me cringe every time. The clothes are not strange? The earth song footage is horrible coz he looks like he's about to drop. The bit where he on stage with Travis Payne and the floor is rising he looks totally ouy of it.. Travis is guiding him and he looks like he's disoriented and is gonna drop. Some parts of the film are great. others are odd. In others is just sad too see a legend reduced to that. I loved it when it came out but can't watch it now. Sorry don't want to disrupt the thread.

I don't this is the first time in UK tv, just the first time on channel 5.

this is very cool, I like the film very much, it shows michael being a perfectionist and the little community that is created during rehearsals:) and I don't think he is acting strange and honestly I love the clothes!

and we shouldn't be ashamed with Michael, never! he had his problems, it would have been great if someone could have really helped him, but anyway he was an amazing human being and a great performer!

I don't think it's horrible, nor do I think "he's acting strange" and the things bobmoo79 listed aren't strange to me. I feel like they are exaggerated by him a bit. But it's true that it's not MJ's best and TVs (at least where I am) always keep playing it as if it's MJ's best or something and I'm a bit tired of it because it's absolutely not his best and I wish the focus went back on his peak a little instead.

I don't think MJ's acting strange... what's the penguin move?

Not everybody has to agree with me. It's fine.
I just wish a mainstream channel would give some airtime to the Wembley concert, Ghost, or maybe show some positive documentary about MJ rather than show TII. It's not a big deal.

(BTW the 'penguin' move was a name given by the fan community to that weird arm swinging motion during Human Nature. I'm not sure why they called the penguin but never mind...)

(BTW the 'penguin' move was a name given by the fan community to that weird arm swinging motion during Human Nature. I'm not sure why they called the penguin but never mind...)

Ahh yes, that one! It's a bit awkward but I've always seen it as a spur of the moment thing to be honest... still don't think he acts strange throughout though.

I don't think channels will play Wembley until a version of adequate visual quality is release. We live in a world where many TV stations are now broadcasting in high definition, they don't want to purchase a license for a VHS-quality 2 hour concert that's 1/4 the resolution of HD. There have been rumours that film negatives have been sourced in the last year or something, so in a few years time when the Estate releases and licenses a higher quality version, then I think we'll start to see more of MJ at his peak.

I do sometimes find it hard to watch This Is It, in the sense that it can get emotional. No way in hell am I letting AEG get in the way of some of Michael's last performances. Never even thought of how they treated him getting in the way of me enjoying TII. I love watching it in Blu-Ray though. The shots filmed in HD look absolutely stunning! Sony are known for producing excellent-looking Blu-Rays and This Is It is no exception!

Question though: Has This Is It never been shown on UK television or something (hence the word 'premiere')? Or has it been shown on UK television before, just not on Channel 5... asking this because I know of movie channels (not in the UK) that aired it a good 3 years ago...

Yes Sky showed it already in the UK. This is the terrestrial network premiere.
Remember guys Ch5 also has a HD simulcast.

Yes Sky showed it already in the UK. This is the terrestrial network premiere.
Remember guys Ch5 also has a HD simulcast.

Channel 5 has a history of gaining the rights to the films that other networks weren't particularly interested in because those were the only ones they could afford the rights to. C5 is not one of the big few TV channels and so BBC and ITV had more money to spend and so C5 got whatever the others didn't want to bid big money for - usually the ones that weren't popular at the box office or were considered to have grossly underperformed.
Is that still the case? I know TII performed very well at the box office and at home, but if it's still true that C5 get whatever the others don't want, it's disappointing that the big UK networks didn't want to show TII.

EDIT: I just found this in The Guardian. According to this guy C5 is now good at films:

http://www.theguardian.com/tv-and-radio/tvandradioblog/2013/jul/24/how-watch-channel-5

I'm not sure that's necessarily the same as saying they tend to outbid the other channels to get the big blockbusters that they want, but it's a start....

No thanks. xmas is depressing enough. my dvd is still in its rapper. seen the begining of the advert twice had to switch over quickly. Wondered what the advert was for. at least it wasnt an ad for a hatchet docu

Personally don't want to watch all of it again myself, but I think it's great it's being shown on terrestrial television. It's giving people who aren't fans a chance to get a glimpse in to his creative world.

I don't think TII is really the best thing to show. Like someone mentioned, showing Ghosts, concerts like Dangerous Munich and BAD Wembley, Moonwalker, etc is a better idea. Making of stuff as well.

TII was just a rehearsal, peopole tend to forget that.

I've no doubt they will use this to advertise their upcoming documentary about Michael's autopsy, so just bear that in mind if you plan on watching it.

http://about.channel5.com/node/1900

Channel 5 have a history of showing garbage ridden "documentaries" about Michael. There was "Michael Jackson's Face", "Michael Jackson's Mind". I remember when they did that documentary about his face, they had a large billboard in my town with a picture of Michael's appearance over the years and next to the present day one (this was in 2002), it said "How did it come to this?". So yeah, stuff them.

I think the movie is great because it's very interesting to see Michael rehearse. Only things I don't like are the dubbing and they should have shown more full performances. Just recently I bought the Blu-Ray version and it looks amazing! :)

With bad 25 and Wembley out on dvd I am sure that will be on tv in the future. I remember when Michael died they played the Bucharest concert a lot. There is a lot of mixed emotions with This is It. It still good to see Michael even if it was just rehearsals.

I'd love a proper concert to be shown even if it's Bucharest. That's what people should see as MJ although given the man was 'frail ' I think he was a pretty decent entertainer. This is It actually showcases Michael's genius and that he still had it.

Re: TV Alerts Thread - Keep them all in HERE! [Merged]

UK TV:
TII is repeated again on Saturday 28th Dec (Channel 5) at 17.50.

On Friday 3rd January (BBC4) There is a programme called 'Diamonds are Forever: The Don Black Songbook'.

Don Black, the lyricist behind hit songs including Diamonds are Forever, Born Free, Ben and Love changes everything shares an insight into his life's work with Michael Grade. Recorded at the Royal Festival Hall in London, musicians including Brian May, Eliza Dolittle, Frances Rufelle, Gary Wilmot, Gregory Porter, Katie Melua, Laura Wright, Marc Almond etc perform a selection of his songs.

So not MJ's version of Ben, but I'll still be interested to see this.

Re: Channel 5 Documentary on MJ's autopsy

TV ALERT channel 5 UK

On Tuesday 7th January 2014, Channel 5 plans to broadcast "the first of three hour-long documentaries," where "world-renowned forensic pathologist Dr Richard Shepherd investigates the death of Michael Jackson, 'The King of Pop'."

"He was the biggest-selling recording artist of all time, but when he suddenly died at just 50 years old, he left $400 million in debts and more questions than answers.
The evidence revealed by his autopsy shows a severely sick man. Jackson was plagued by complications from his many plastic surgeries, suffered from two rare skin conditions and was riddled with arthritis. His lungs were severely damaged, he had an enlarged prostate, and was still suffering the effects of a horrific accident that left him partially bald.
The most startling evidence, however, uncovers the bewildering number of drugs that were coursing through his veins, bearing witness to a number of addictions that had spiralled out of control. It was Jackson's desperate battle against insomnia, however, that would ultimately cost him his life."
Source: http://www.channel5.com/shows/autopsy-michael-jacksons-last-hours/episodes/autopsy-michael-jacksons-last-hours

Is there any way to stop this being broadcasted???

channel 5=trash

I have never watched this awards show in the past, but when I saw the advert on TV, I got excited.
I would like to see how the new song will be presented and I hope they don't
make me wait til the end of the program to hear it. I don't wanna see the whole show. :\

Guess it's just me and Wendijane who is interested. Or at least curious.
Thanks Wen! :happy:

Have a great day! :)

UK TV:

Motown at the BBC (Repeat)
A compilation of studio performances by some of Motown's greatest artists, originally broadcast to mark the record label's 50th Anniversary.
Feat Diana Ross and the Supremes, The Temptations, the Jackson Five, The Four Tops and Stevie Wonder.
Friday 25th July, 10.30 pm BBC4

Back