Regis Philbin Announces Retirement at 79 (Leaving "Live" after 28 years)

Victory2004

Proud Member
January 18, 2011, 2:30 PM ET. Regis Philbin Announces Retirement at 79 By WSJ Staff

After 28 years on "Live With Regis and Kathie Lee/Kelly" (and 40 years in television overall), Regis Philbin has announced he will retire. The 79-year-old talk show host shared the news of Tuesday's episode of his show, telling the audience "I don't want to alarm anybody... This will be my last year on the show."
Philbin will stay with the show until the end of the summer, though an exact departure date has yet to be announced. Blogs and online media have already begun speculating as to who his successor should (and will) be.
Given his status as a pop culture icon - Philbin's cameos as "himself" include "How I Met Your Mother," "Brothers & Sisters," "Damages," "All My Children" and many others - the host's final show is sure to be a star-studded and funny affair.
http://blogs.wsj.com/speakeasy/2011/01/18/...tirement-at-79/[/url]

Yes, I heard about this earlier today and I am so sad about it. Although I did have a feeling it was coming. The spark in the show has dimmed a little. I have been watching Regis on that show since the early 80's when it was just a local talk show in NY. Before Kelly Ripa and even before Kathie Lee joined him I watched the show. When I first started watching (must have been 1983 or so) I used to wonder, why is that man shouting? LOL but he grew on me. He will be missed.

I hope Kelly's husband Mark takes over for Regis.

Back