Hotel California vs This Place Hotel

Psychoniff

Proud Member
Both are classics about the tale of a protagonist and his strange experience in a hotel. Do you think Mike may have got some inspiration from HC to write TPH?

Last edited:
Both are classics about the tale of a protagonist and his strange experience of being in the a hotel. Do you think Mike may have got some inspiration from HC to write TPH?

I think he might. HC is one of my favourite songs. I think I read that This place hotel inspired Rod temperton to write Thriller, Rod Temperton said once. Both great songs

I think he might. HC is one of my favourite songs. I think I read that This place hotel inspired Rod temperton to write Thriller, Rod Temperton said once. Both great songs

If you have a link to this, please post it. Thanks!

I don't have to check this right now but I think this is it: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8EqCFsOQffY

Here is a random link which mentions it too: http://www.geniusmichaeljackson.com/en/albums/songs/Thriller/Thriller.html

I think the above interview is the one though. It's around this time Michael said it.

Apparently it was a radio interview from 1987:

"Michael talks about how 1981's Heartbreak Hotel was the inspiration for "Thriller": "Heartbreak Hotel was a stimulant for Rod Temperton...because he told me how much he loved Heartbreak Hotel with all of the sounds and the sound effects...I was trying to step into the future with that, Heartbreak Hotel...try something different with the drama and the sound effects of the music, and it worked."

Apparently it was a radio interview from 1987:

"Michael talks about how 1981's Heartbreak Hotel was the inspiration for "Thriller": "Heartbreak Hotel was a stimulant for Rod Temperton...because he told me how much he loved Heartbreak Hotel with all of the sounds and the sound effects...I was trying to step into the future with that, Heartbreak Hotel...try something different with the drama and the sound effects of the music, and it worked."

Thanks bro!!! And to think that not only was it a template for Thriller, but all future MJ songs about "wicked women" entailing the femme fatale.

This is the audio of the interview

I think Michael basically denies This Place Hotel was inspired by Hotel California.

I don't know where's the VS part here.

I'm currently listening to "Speed Demon" and the quirky lyrics and experimental production remind of the stuff Peter Gabriel would do with similar songs like "Sledgehammer" and "Big Time". Agree?

Back