Paranoia and Songwriting

Psychoniff

Proud Member
Was MJ at his best when writing paranoid monologues/soliloquies? (Things I Do For You, This Place Hotel, Billie Jean, Dirty Diana, Leave Me Alone, Price Of Fame, Who Is It, Dangerous, Blood On Dance Floor, Is It Scary, Ghosts etc)

Last edited:
It's certainly a really compelling element to the spectrum of his songwriting.

I like when he sneaks it in to seemingly innocent pop/love songs. Intentional or not.

It's certainly a really compelling element to the spectrum of his songwriting.

I like when he sneaks it in to seemingly innocent pop/love songs. Intentional or not.

He was the master of pathos! (better than any other pop star that is)

Last edited:
I think paranoia, suspicion are very awesome in song writing.. It's compelling story telling that everyone can relate to and takes you somewhere that most songs don't.... It brings a story to life in a way that others we have been desensitized because it's been over used..

Smooth Criminal is also a very paranoid song. How many times did he ask if Annie was Ok, lol

I think paranoia, suspicion are very awesome in song writing.. It's compelling story telling that everyone can relate to and takes you somewhere that most songs don't.... It brings a story to life in a way that others we have been desensitized because it's been over used..

Absolutley!!! It's what sets his songs apart from other popstars.

Smooth Criminal is also a very paranoid song. How many times did he ask if Annie was Ok, lol

Yes.

Indeed they are, as is melancholy a most important tool in any artistry. However, my understanding of paranoia has always been unjustified fear and a feeling of unwarranted persecution. The man (and his misguided PR team) may have started silly, harmless rumors back in the 80s for whatever misconceived notion of mystique, but none of that justified the dreadful treatment he got from 93 onwards. I don't think it's fair to say he was being paranoid while most of the world and 99% of the media labelled him a criminal of the worst kind. This type of songs may not be the cup of tea for many people, but they reflect one of the darkest parts of his life and if people want to have a full and proper picture of the man they must take it all in, the good with the bad, not just the parts they are comfortable with.

You mean to tell me he asked that q more than once? :p

Last edited:
Back