Philly/NYC fans- a special proposal

ivygivy

Proud Member
Hi!
I'm a student at the University of Pennsylvania in Philadelphia and I'm in a class on profile writing (feature articles like in GQ and Rolling Stone, only non-celebrity, of course!) I'd like to write about one of you. Here's my proposal.

I live in Philadelphia but can easily travel to NYC. Not really beyond that. Preferably, this would happen on either October 31 or November 1 (actually, any day is fine if it can happen in Philadelphia). Ideally, we would meet up (just us or others, it's up to you!) and watch TII together, and then I would buy you a delectable dinner or something and ask you questions and talk and probably record on dictaphone. I'd like to find someone who is willing to open up about themselves, about Michael, and about the movie. I'd like to find a very long-time, gung-ho, dedicated fan! I'd also like to find a nice, social person because I don't want to be stuck with a jerk ;). I really want this paper to be beautiful- for you, for my grade!, and, you know, for Michael.

Now, I know this may seem scary, but I promise you it is not. I'm not trying to trick you or kidnap you or any other internet horror story. I consider myself quite an amiable person who is rather enjoyable company! I'm 20 years old and a female, if that makes a difference (i.e. not intimidating). The article will NOT be published unless you really want it to be and give me written permission to do so. It will be shared confidentially with a class of 15 students and will be graded for my final. I'm NOT NOT NOT looking to make a fool of you. I know I am not a known name on this board, but I have been a steadfast Michael Jackson supporter since I became intensely disgusted with his treatment in the media in 2005. I have read every book written about him. (I have exchanged nasty emails with Diane Dimond, which I will be happy to show you if interested. I'm also currently the top review on Taraborelli's book on Amazon. That's my claim to fame right now! haha). I have written essays on him. I vehemently believe that he is the most important figure in in the last century. Regrettably, I only really became a fan of his music this summer. (I always fancied myself a rock fan. As it turns out I am a GOOD MUSIC fan and, thusly, a Michael Jackson fan ;))

The end product will be 10-14 pages of my best effort. I'm really excited about this. I think what you all do on these message boards and in your daily lives is really beautiful. I know that sometimes it's hard to defend yourself as a fan- people wonder why you dedicate so much time and energy towards someone you never met (my friends never let me hear the end of it). And I know how dealing with the accusations and the jokes must have felt suffocating. And I know how frustrating it must be to see all of these fair-weather fans popping up after his death. I know how difficult it is to not know who to believe or how to feel about this movie. But your fortitude is a tribute to Michael's diligent grace and your story deserves to be told. I'd be honored to be the one to tell it.

Please, please message me if this interests you and you will be in Philly/NYC during 'This Is It' or if you know someone else who is perfect for this. I apologize if anyone takes any sort of offense to this sort of request. I don't mean any harm. I come in peace and think this could be a really fun experience.

Thank you,
Ivy

Back