Behind the Mask and Clapton

sayat

Proud Member
From Wikipedia:

The English musician Eric Clapton recorded "Behind the Mask" for his 1986 album August. Greg Phillinganes brought the composition to Clapton's attention. Phillinganes played keyboards and performed background vocals on Clapton's recording. This version did not credit Jackson as one of the song's co-writers, but Mosdell confirmed that Jackson's estate took 50% of the songwriting royalties from the recording.

Why do you think Michael wasn't credited? What could be the reasons? To me it looks like envy.

From Wikipedia:

The English musician Eric Clapton recorded "Behind the Mask" for his 1986 album August. Greg Phillinganes brought the composition to Clapton's attention. Phillinganes played keyboards and performed background vocals on Clapton's recording. This version did not credit Jackson as one of the song's co-writers, but Mosdell confirmed that Jackson's estate took 50% of the songwriting royalties from the recording.

Why do you think Michael wasn't credited? What could be the reasons? To me it looks like envy.
They never worked out writing credits; hence why it didn't make Thriller. It very likely couldn't receive credits legally.

From Wikipedia:

because EC is not a nice person. I expect this

I love Greg’s version, I kind of hoped Michael‘s version would be the exact same but with a change of vocals obviously.

I love Greg’s version, I kind of hoped Michael‘s version would be the exact same but with a change of vocals obviously.
Actually, hearing it now, Greg's sounds a lot like the Original Behind The Mask.

I wonder how the Westlake Quincy version sounds.

Not a fan of Eric's version. I don't know what it is. Possibly hearing the Michael remix first. It's legit a masterclass of finishing a demo but keeping the same vibe and feel.

Best version of this song! Music video is trash, but music...is pure masterpiece :D I fell in love with Michael's beatbox completely! 🤪;)

It has been said that the 'Behind The Mask' song was copyrighted long before Michael Jackson made his additions.

Also, Chris Mosdell stated that when Michael Jackson recorded it for himself he added an extra melody line and a few extra lyrics, and because of that Michael Jackson wanted to split the royalties.

Chris Mosdell compared that situation with a Beatles example: you cannot take a Beatles song and add a melody line, a few more lyrics, and then ask for fifty percent royalties.

It has been said that the 'Behind The Mask' song was copyrighted long before Michael Jackson made his additions.

Also, Chris Mosdell stated that when Michael Jackson recorded it for himself he added an extra melody line and a few extra lyrics, and because of that Michael Jackson wanted to split the royalties.

Chris Mosdell compared that situation with a Beatles example: you cannot take a Beatles song and add a melody line, a few more lyrics, and then ask for fifty percent royalties.
Moronic, as always. And with not a source in sight.

Soon after the song was released, Quincy Jones, on a trip to Japan, was introduced to the song by Kuni Murai, the president of Alfa Records. He thought it was a perfect vehicle for the new album of Michael Jackson that he was producing, so he took it back to Los Angeles and presented it to Michael. Michael then added an extra musical and lyrical section to the song, and transformed it from a techno-classic into a dance/funk composition.

This is where the line between myth, memory, and factual details becomes hazy. Chris’s recollection is that he was informed that Michael was in the process of recording Behind the Mask for his upcoming album. Chris immediately sat down and wrote a longer version of the song––taking into account Michael’s musical predilections––and had it delivered to him. Whether any of these new lyrics were used or their thematic content referred to is a matter of conjecture, but the song, in its hybrid state, was hammered out and, by all accounts, placed on the track list of Thriller!

Naturally, the song was copyrighted long before Michael made his additions, and this was where contentions as to the credit (and royalty percentages) arose. Chris was subsequently asked to divide this credit/royalty share equally (as too was Sakamoto on the musical side) with Michael, which, with reservations, they both agreed to. However, it seems that this did not sit well with the management side of YMO, and after further discussion and disagreement, the song was taken off Thriller.

Back