Best sequencing

Mister_Jay_Tee

Proud Member
Donations
$1.00
For MJ, what worked better, ebbs and flows of fast and slow songs, or all fast, and then all slow?

Off The Wall and Dangerous have first halfs of just dance tunes and I love it. Thriller, Bad, HIStory, and BOTDF deal in more eclectic mixes. And Invincible starts with 3 dance tunes, switches to ballads, then kinda goes between mid tempo and slow tempo before it ramps back up.

I think there's a point to be made that when there's two slow songs in a row, people usually pick just one and not the other (Girlfriend, SOOML, WYBT/KTF, YANA/Childhood, Little Susie/Smile).

I like the contrast. A fast song and a slow one side by side (Speechless/2000 Watts, TGIM/Thriller).

It’s the best sequencing when you don’t notice it. When you enjoy every song of the sequence.
When you are excited about the current song & equally about the next one.
When you don’t think about a skip, a contrast to stark, or too many similar songs following each other..

Merry Christmas 🎄🎁 to those who celebrate!

Totally agree on Dangerous. It had the perfect blend. Had that new sound on the first "half " then the other MJ on the other "half. Then ending with the actual song Dangerous brings it back to the pace . Simply brilliant.

To me Thriller, Bad & Dangerous are PERFECT.

HIStory imo dips on two occasions:
1. „Come Together“ (old) & YANA (sappy)
2. The Ending. Having „Little Susie“ & „Smile“ as the closing numbers of the album is such a ultra saaaaaad occasion.. what a bummer! „HIStory“ (the song) should have closed that album. With „Smile“ as the second to last. And put „Little Susie“ where CT & YANA resides..

Interesting thread.

Yeah, maybe Dangerous has too many slow songs towards the end. There are actually several songs that would have been an ideal album closer.

HIStory - as we said in the other thread, this album probably has less variety in tempo, ie it's all mid-paced.

Similarly, Invincible is all slow-paced.

Got to Be There, Forever Michael, Bad and Thriller are all perfect.

This thread actually gives me an idea. Stay tuned.

Speaking of sequencing (sort of) the end of dangerous and the beginning of jam fit perfectly if the album is set on repeat

Is it just me or was the sequencing of Invincible inspired by Dangerous?
On both albums you have the new sound in the beginning and the final track has again the new sound:
1. Jam/Unbreakable
2. WYWTOM/Heartbreaker
3. In the Closet/Invincible
6. Can’t Let Her Get Away/YRMW
14./16. Dangerous/Threatened

Last edited:
There are certain issues regarding the sequence of the songs on his studio albums.

For example:

'Baby Be Mine' and the 'The Girl Is Mine' should not have been placed in a consecutive order because they have one common word ('mine'), and this does not look good on the track list.

The 'Man In The Mirror' song should have been the closing track on the 'BAD' album because in that way the song would have made its message clearer and more emphatic.

For the same reason, the 'Heal The World' song should have been also the closing track on the 'Dangerous' album (the 'Dangerous' song should have been placed together with all the other new jack swing tracks).

For the same reason, the 'HIStory' song should have been also the closing track on the 'HIStory' album.

The 'Smile' song should not have been the closing track on the 'HIStory' album because it makes the album end in a very underwhelming way.

'Unbreakable', 'Heartbreaker' and 'Invincible' should not have been placed in a consecutive order because they are too similar musically and thus they sound like one very long song.

The 'Smile' song should not have been the closing track on the 'HIStory' album because it makes the album end in a very underwhelming way.
It's part of the concept, that HIStory begins with a scream and ends with a smile.
Michael would say:
If you enter this world knowing you are loved and you leave this world knowing the same, then everything that happens in between can be dealt with.

'Unbreakable', 'Heartbreaker' and 'Invincible' should not have been placed in a consecutive order because they are too similar musically and thus they sound like one very long song.
For the same reason, the 'Heal The World' song should have been also the closing track on the 'Dangerous' album (the 'Dangerous' song should have been placed together with all the other new jack swing tracks).
On Dangerous you want 7 NJS songs in a consecutive order, but not 3 Darkchild songs on Invincible?
Unbreakable and Heartbreaker sound different enough to be on pos. 1 and 2, I'd only remove Invincible.
Heartbreaker to Unbreakable is kind of a progression in tempo, like TDCU to Scream. That's why Invincible feels like a step back as it has a slower tempo than Heartbreaker and shares a similar theme.

Last edited:
It can work well on albums , but especially i feel on live tours , for example the way MJ would do I just cant stop Loving you , followed by She's Out of My Life. I just wish MJ had done a few different songs on his tours ( live sung i mean ) . However still cannot fault both of those songs especially live.

1. Upbeat Song Like Jam/Scream/Unbreakable
2. Upbeat Song Like They Don’t Care About Us
3. Upbeat song with more Melody like Blue Gangster
4. Rock Song like Give Into Me or Dirty Diana
5. Dark/Broody Song with great rhythm/beat like Who Is It or Billie Jean
6. R&B Banger like Rock My World.
7. Ballad Like You Are Not Alone or Speechless.
8. Anti-Media/Angry Song
9. Humanitarian Song like Earth Song or We’ve Had Enough.
10. Experimental/Musical type song like Seeing Voices or Little Susie.
11. Duet with a classic artist or a Bruno Mars type current artist. Pure pop sensation.
12. A gospel type ballad/inspirational uplifting song like Man In The Mirror or Keep The Faith.
13. Triumphant song like History.

On Dangerous you want 7 NJS songs in a consecutive order, but not 3 Darkchild songs on Invincible?
Unbreakable and Heartbreaker sound different enough to be on pos. 1 and 2, I'd only remove Invincible.
Heartbreaker to Unbreakable is kind of a progression in tempo, like TDCU to Scream. That's why Invincible feels like a step back as it has a slower tempo than Heartbreaker and shares a similar theme.
The concept of the 'Dangerous' album is apparently to include 2 different albums.

The first album comprised of the new jack swing sound, and the second album comprised of all the other musical genres.

That is why, the 'Dangerous' song should have been placed on the first album (i.e., together with all the rest new jack swing tracks).

Besides, if you like the new jack swing sound of the 'Dangerous' album, it would have been better (especially, for practical reasons) to have all the new jack swing tracks together in a consecutive order.

Back