Best Songs in HIStory

MJInTheMirror

Proud Member
Today I was listening to the album and I was amazed, I mostly listen to Dangerous and Bad honestly, and HIStory along with Invincible are the ones I listed to less often maybe. I was playing the music kind of loud and that really made me really appreciate Scream, TDCAU, Stranger In Moscow, This Time Around and Tabloid Junkie. I think those along with Earth Song are the best ones in the album. What do you think are the best ones?

Best on the album are

You are not Alone,
a great ballad that never dates and it is just so heart felt and pure
They don't care about us, a perfect piece of frustration and again it is laden with all the classic Michaelisms
Stranger in Moscow, a beatiful song, with an amazing beat and singing that sets the mood, you feel like you are there and the chorus of "How does it feel" is also amazing, it makes you think and you realise he is singing about being truly lonely.

These 3 stand out above the others and are all 10/10 songs and easily a great addition to his legacy of the first four albums. Not only are they great songs and have a perfect MJ touch to all of them,they are amongst the most truthful songs he has ever recorded. This is a template for putting your feelings to music.

Almost as good are Earth Song, Scream, This time around and Tabloid Junkie, again truthful and funky songs. All of them vary but are still very worthy songs. I give them all 9/10. Earth Song gets a 9.5/10 a great song, but the topic has been doen to death and the soaring harmonies make it my 4th favourite on the album. Scream is the perfect pop anger song, a great video and you can feel his anger. Tabloid Junkie again is not the greatest written song in the world, but an unforgettable melody and chorus (Just because you see it on a TV screen or read it in a magazine, doesn't make it actual, factual) with the message make it great. This time around is a great album track, funky and prominent enough, but probably not great single material.

The rest of the album is mixed, Smile is a decent take on a Charlie Chaplin song, but he is a bit over emotive, still an 8/10, smae with History if you can wade past all the soundbites, important as they are, they make it hard listening as background music 7/10. DS is purely silly and very slight musically, but is redeemed by the fact this song is about the maggot called Tom Sneddon who tried to destroy Michael. Musically its 4/10 but as a diss track its an 8/10, plus you can feel his anger so it gets the 8/10.
Come together and Money are average by the numbers tracks, good melodies and rhythms save underwhelming lyrics and construction (Although the Beatles singing Come Together is much better), still enjoyable 7/10 a piece I guess. Little Susie is sad and haunting and a great feelings based song, but the topic (Child abuse) and the gothic choir put me off a bit. But I know he was creating the mood and the song is very serious, so again its an 8/10. The trite rapping and I'm so bad ass feel of 2Bad seems badly dated now, but it is still a powerful track and BIGGIE does his job well enough, with Shaq giving his best ever rap performance (Which is barely average, not Dr Dre, but not Tony M either - Prince fans know who he is), so the track gets 7.

Hope this helps, so its They don't care about us, Stranger in Moscow and You are Not Alone, probably the last song named is the very best.

The album only has one true stinker and that is Childhood, I just find it hard to get into and a poor choice as a double A side single, too close to the trials and a bit maudling and self indulgent 4/10 only.

I love these songs best on HISTORY album:D
You are not Alone
They don't care about us
Stranger in Moscow
Earth Song

They Don't Care About and Earth Song. They also make me sad, because, you know. This Is It.

I definitely think "Stranger In Moscow" is the best song on HIStory. That's in my top 3 MJ songs of all time for sure. The song is so personal without coming off as too self indulgent at all.

"Earth Song", "Scream", "This Time Around" and "You Are Not Alone" are also great. I think the rest of the album is mediocre, though.

HIStory, my favourite album. :punk: (BAD is the second.)
The songs on the album are so great.

SCREAM !
2BAD
TDCAU
THIS TIME AROUND
HISTORY
ES
MONEY
.... and all the others. ;) (except YANA)

I really like History (the song) as well. It just grew on me lately.

I've roughly rated and roughly ranked my fav songs on HIStory :)
My favourites/songs I listen to most on disc 2 would be:
1)Stranger in Moscow (in fact one of my top 3 favourite MJ songs - this song is just simply perfection to me) 10+/10
2)Scream/Childhood 10/10 for both
3)TDCAU 10/10
4)You Are Not Alone 9/10
5)Earth Song 9/10
6)Smile 10/10
7)2 Bad 8/10
8)Money 8/10
9)HIStory 8/10
10)Come Together 8/10
11)This Time Around 7/10

*D.S., Tabloid Junkie and Little Susie are songs that I haven't listened to as much so I think it would be unfair to rank/rate them*
Intherain.gif
BTW Mike is beyond handsome in the Making of Stranger in Moscow with his drenched hair and clothes ;)

In no particular order

Stranger In Moscow
They Don't Care About Us
2Bad
Earth Song
Childhood
Scream

My favorites are

Stranger in Moscow
They don't care about us
Scream
2 Bad
Tabloid Junkie
Smile

HIStory is his most unpredictable album to date. It has so much diversity! Most people label the entire album being all about anger - but there are so many themes in HIStory.

There's obvious social commentary in TDCAU and Money and Tabloid Junkie and Scream. Solid paranoia factor in 2 Bad and This Time Around. A better-than-the-original cover Come Together. Two of the best self lifting tracks he's ever done; History ( I think it's criminally underrated) and Earth Song. Tributes to two personalities; Charlie Chaplin and Little Susie (it's one of his best songs imo). And then there are references to loneliness in the songs Stranger in Moscow, You Are Not Alone and Childhood.

To me, the highlights of HIStory were:

1. Tabloid Junkie (that hook man! That hook!)
2. They Don't Care About Us
3. Scream
4. Earth Song
5. Little Susie
6. Stranger in Moscow
7. This Time Around
8. History

Just to be clear, the only song that I think is mediocre on HIStory is 2 Bad and well Childhood is a little too slow for my taste (tho the vocals are simply brilliant). All the others are gems which have not received the acclaim they deserve.

Glad to see some love for History! Incredibly under-recognized album.

It isn't Michael's most enjoyable album (that distinction would probably go to Thriller or Off the Wall) but it is most certainly his artistic peak, paired with Blood on the Dance Floor. It's a little all over the place in terms of consistency but almost every song is Michael essentially flipping the bird to his critics, making some powerful personal/social statements, and pretty much doing whatever the hell he wanted to do with his music. No restrictions, no concerns over what was charting or what was popular. Just what he wanted. And it turned out glorious.

I can't pick a "best" song on the album because almost all of them are unique and excellent. Tabloid Junkie is my favorite because of its complexity. Childhood is beautiful in its honesty. 2 Bad is frenetic and irresistible. They Don't Care About Us is brash and powerful. Even Smile, the least impressive cut, is worth a listen simply for Michael's vocal.

And what can I say about Blood on the Dance Floor that hasn't already been said? A bit formulaic at times but such a huge departure from anything in his catalog. Is It Scary is a masterpiece top to bottom. Superfly Sister takes a few notes from Prince's handbook (and does it much better than he ever could). I would dare say that even Ghost stands as a better song/video than Thriller. And the title track and Morphine... pure perfection.

If I had to pick a single album that is in dire need of a critical re-evaluation, it's these two. By far my favorite Michael Jackson album/s.

Back