Blood On The Dance Floor - Book ll?

Richard76

Heartbreaker
Country
Russia
Listening to BOTDF album always makes me think, this album was the best option to be 2d part of History album set. Like sequel... or B side for main album. I wonder why MJ didn't use that opportunity. He could litteraly just make dilogy. These 2 albums has the same music soundings, but they are opposite in amtosphere: History sounds kind, hopeful and bright, while BOTDF is aggresive, dark and sad and little bit scary. Two opposide sides. Yin and Yang:)

The 'HIStory' album does not sound kind, hopeful and bright, on the contrary it sounds aggressive, angry, dark, sad, and even scary.

'Smile' is the only song that may sound kind, hopeful and bright, but in essence this song sounds melancholic.

It would be more interesting to know what new songs the 'HIStory, Book II' planned album would include considering that there were so few, complete outtakes from the 'HIStory' album sessions.

The 'Blood On The Dance Floor' album came out of nowhere (as a result of a compromise between the singer and Sony), that is why Michael Jackson never planned to use that album as a sequel (or as a B-side album) to the 'HIStory' album.

Slightly off-topic: I have this love/hate thing with 'Morphine': I don't really like the Industrial Rock sound and always hoped for a more funky beat and better chorus BUT as an piece of art I think it's awesome: the theme is bold and personal, the vocals are very strong and the sample from 'The Elephant Man' is also a cool reference

The 'HIStory' album does not sound kind, hopeful and bright, on the contrary it sounds aggressive, angry, dark, sad, and even scary.

'Smile' is the only song that may sound kind, hopeful and bright, but in essence this song sounds melancholic.

It would be more interesting to know what new songs the 'HIStory, Book II' planned album would include considering that there were so few, complete outtakes from the 'HIStory' album sessions.

The 'Blood On The Dance Floor' album came out of nowhere (as a result of a compromise between the singer and Sony), that is why Michael Jackson never planned to use that album as a sequel (or as a B-side album) to the 'HIStory' album.
The title song’s chorus is ”kind, hopeful, and bright”. The verses, though, are aggressive, and the pre-choruses pleading.

It would be even more epic if it was only one CD...

01. Scream
02. They Don't Care About Us
03. Stranger in Moscow
04. Blood on the Dance Floor
05. Earth Song
06. D.S.
07. Money
08. Morphine
09. Childhood
10. Tabloid Junkie
11. Ghosts
12. HIStory
13. Little Susie
14. Much Too Soon (I know it's not in the context of the topic)
15. Smile

*I really LOVE You Are Not Alone, but I think Much Too Soon works better on the album, especially as the penultimate track. YANA could be published in the future as a single from a greatest hits album.

01. Scream
03. Stranger in Moscow
05. Earth Song
06. D.S.
07. Money
08. Morphine
09. Childhood
10. Tabloid Junkie
11. Ghosts
12. HIStory
13. Little Susie
15. Smile

*I really LOVE You Are Not Alone, but I think Much Too Soon works better on the album, especially as the penultimate track. YANA could be published in the future as a single from a greatest hits album.
Although I feel History would have been a timeless classic if it would only consist of protest songs, something like this this would be second best!

Listening to BOTDF album always makes me think, this album was the best option to be 2d part of History album set. Like sequel... or B side for main album. I wonder why MJ didn't use that opportunity.
That's what BOTDF was supposed to be, but since MJ was too busy with the HIStory tour he only released an EP worth of songs.

From the Making Michael book:
"Michael had considered following HIStory with a sequel album, HIStory Book II which engineer Rob Hoffman said would have followed a similar format, with both new songs and greatest hits. "It would have included more old hits because there were songs such as 'Human Nature', 'Dirty Diana', 'Smooth Criminal' and 'Dangerous' that weren't on part one, and then there were the big songs from HIStory, like 'You Are Not Alone' and 'Earth Song', that they were going to add."

"But recording a whole new album at this stage would have been time consuming, and Michael was interested in a shorter project. "The HIStory Book II concept was talked about but never that big of an idea in Michael's mind," Brad Buxer said. "Michael's desire was for an album with a limited amount of new tracks and one that wouldn't be that complicated or take that long to do."

comparing to BOTDF, History album sonds brighter)

BOTDF is outtakes from previous albums, at least from Dangerous for sure)

Slightly off-topic: I have this love/hate thing with 'Morphine': I don't really like the Industrial Rock sound and always hoped for a more funky beat and better chorus BUT as an piece of art I think it's awesome: the theme is bold and personal, the vocals are very strong and the sample from 'The Elephant Man' is also a cool reference
Morphine sounds wild.... Ahhh. This is rockest Michael's song i have ever heard

01. Scream
03. Stranger in Moscow
05. Earth Song
06. D.S.
07. Money
08. Morphine
09. Childhood
10. Tabloid Junkie
11. Ghosts
12. HIStory
13. Little Susie
15. Smile

Sorry, but YANA > MTS :)

The greatest hits disc of book 2 would have included earth song and you are not alone. That would have been a weird decision to have both songs on both HIStory Volumes.

Lets try to come up with a tracklist for book II, I assume he would have ignored the Motown hits:

1) Smooth Criminal
2) In The Closet
3) Another Part Of Me
4) Human Nature
5) Earth Song
6) Dirty Diana
7) You Are Not Alone
8) Will You Be There
9) Dangerous
10) Give In To Me
11) PYT
12) SaySaySay
13) Off the Wall
14) They Don’t Care About Us
15) Leave Me Alone

That’s 15 tracks

Singles not used because of less favorable sales: Girlfriend, Liberian Girl, Stranger In Moscow, Who Is It, Jam, Gone Too Soon, Why, You Can’t Win, Ease On Down The Road and Scream
Though Dangerous would have been part of it which was never a single and thus never a hit but as a live staple it probably proved popular enough. In this case I would also not dismiss working day and night to be included.

Last edited:
The greatest hits disc of book 2 would have included earth song and you are not alone. That would have been a weird decision to have both songs on both HIStory Volumes.

Lets try to come up with a tracklist for book II, I assume he would have ignored the Motown hits:

Dangerous, Human Nature, Dirty Diana, Earth Song, Off the Wall, PYT, Another Part Of Me, Smooth Criminal, Will You Be There, Give In To Me, They Don’t Care About Us, Leave Me Alone, SaySaySay, You Are Not Alone, In The Closet

That’s 15 tracks

Singles not used because of less favorable sales: Girlfriend, Liberian Girl, Stranger In Moscow, Who Is It, Jam, Gone Too Soon, Why, You Can’t Win, Ease On Down The Road and Scream
Though Dangerous would have been part of it which was never a single and thus never a hit but as a live staple it probably proved popular enough. In this case I would also not dismiss working day and night to be included.
but where is new tracks?

Back