Blood on the Dancefloor should have been Invincible - minus remixes

Hurley509

Proud Member
I've been an MJ fan for about 30 years but I can be a bit late to the party sometimes. I've really only gone back to Blood on the Dancefloor again recently, and while some of it is a bit dated, (the title track was considered dated even upon release), there are moments of that album that represent more experimentation than we ever saw in Invincible.

One of the crowning moments, for mine, of the album is when the rock beat of Morphine gives way to this really haunting piano riff, "Demerol, Demerol, Oh god he's taking Demerol!" On Invincible he never dares to be to take his music this far "out of the box".

And then there's Is It Scary, which I've now rediscovered as one of my favourite songs. There's something a bit James Bond theme song to it. It's theatrical, and it has different moods and textures.

These kinds of songs are a far cry from the artistically stagnant fare of much of Invincible, which only has maybe 5 songs that I would choose to listen to of my own volition and certainly none of its attempted dance tracks (bar YRMW) are much above a Brittney Spears B side.

I wonder what may have happened had Michael kept those tracks from BOTDF and let that build into a fully realized album, ala Decade turning into Dangerous. I think the MJ of 1997-8 and even up to 99 and 00 was far more creative and ambitious than what he became for Invincible.

I know there are people who, beyond my better reasoning, will always love Invincible but for me the album that should have been was cut short and maybe Invincible came in half cocked because it just wasn't the time for it.

I've been an MJ fan for about 30 years but I can be a bit late to the party sometimes. I've really only gone back to Blood on the Dancefloor again recently, and while some of it is a bit dated, (the title track was considered dated even upon release), there are moments of that album that represent more experimentation than we ever saw in Invincible.

One of the crowning moments, for mine, of the album is when the rock beat of Morphine gives way to this really haunting piano riff, "Demerol, Demerol, Oh god he's taking Demerol!" On Invincible he never dares to be to take his music this far "out of the box".

And then there's Is It Scary, which I've now rediscovered as one of my favourite songs. There's something a bit James Bond theme song to it. It's theatrical, and it has different moods and textures.

These kinds of songs are a far cry from the artistically stagnant fare of much of Invincible, which only has maybe 5 songs that I would choose to listen to of my own volition and certainly none of its attempted dance tracks (bar YRMW) are much above a Brittney Spears B side.

I wonder what may have happened had Michael kept those tracks from BOTDF and let that build into a fully realized album, ala Decade turning into Dangerous. I think the MJ of 1997-8 and even up to 99 and 00 was far more creative and ambitious than what he became for Invincible.

I know there are people who, beyond my better reasoning, will always love Invincible but for me the album that should have been was cut short and maybe Invincible came in half cocked because it just wasn't the time for it.
Sorry, but I don't understand your point of view. Michael Jackson started to record Invincible album right after he released Blood on the Dance floor album. It was like a brand new big era for him. Moreover, I would even say that during Invincible session, he created/get biggest amount of songs, comparing with other eras. Because he even planed to use some of them for his 12th album. That's why Invincible just couldn't be small project. No way. It was full Michael Jackson's album, just like HIstory, Thriller, Bad and so on
1059bc1de659bc88573529669d6595fc.jpg

2000 Watts, Heartbreaker and Shout sound experimental to me.

Last edited:
Sony Music wanted the 'Invincible' album to be played on radios.

The problem with such songs (like, 'Morphine', 'Is It Scary', etc) is that they are not radio friendly songs.

That is why, they called Rodney Jerkins because he was able to easily create and produce radio friendly songs, like 'You Rock My World' which became the first single from that album.

They also called R. Kelly, who gave another radio friendly song ('Cry') which became the second single from that album.

Sony was in the wrong for almost everything, but i do think Michael should have just toured for Invincible. Not worldwide or anything, but just in the United States, just do 50 shows spread out across 2001-02 call it his final tour and he sells out all of them instantly.

Could he have genuinely done this or was his physical state not in the condition to do it?

Sony was in the wrong for almost everything, but i do think Michael should have just toured for Invincible. Not worldwide or anything, but just in the United States, just do 50 shows spread out across 2001-02 call it his final tour and he sells out all of them instantly.

Could he have genuinely done this or was his physical state not in the condition to do it?
I think he could

Sony Music wanted the 'Invincible' album to be played on radios.

The problem with such songs (like, 'Morphine', 'Is It Scary', etc) is that they are not radio friendly songs.

That is why, they called Rodney Jerkins because he was able to easily create and produce radio friendly songs, like 'You Rock My World' which became the first single from that album.

They also called R. Kelly, who gave another radio friendly song ('Cry') which became the second single from that album.
The thing is ..... half the stuff on Invincible I wouldn't consider to be radio friendly, the choruses are not snappy enough and often too long winded before they get going. šŸ˜²

The fact he barely ate, slept etc was probably the main reason that touring became less and less of an appealing prospect the older he got. MJ was always in pretty good physical condition for his age (speaking generally I know he had some problems) , but the not eating and mental strain were the main problem imo and MJ even said this himself.

No. MSG 2001 put the final nail in the coffin in the idea of touring even before the horrible events that occurred the day after those shows.

No. MSG 2001 put the final nail in the coffin in the idea of touring even before the horrible events that occurred the day after those shows.
Except for the fact he did several performances the next year they were all, adequate if nothing else.

Back