Brad Buxer: best year was 2004

Hot_Street

Proud Member
Brad Buxer: best year was 2004
because of In the Back, Beautiful Girl, The Way You Love Me, Days in Gloucestershire, Adore You

Last edited:
From my perspective he can’t be far off with that claim. I think only in the back is an older song and lyrically it is very much in the post 93 HIStory mode. But the other 4 songs he names they are positive, Michael perhaps had put the past behind him, he sounded good and clear, there was something ethereal about the compositions and they sounded quite unique vocally and musically. It is a shame no album came out of it.
I also wonder about the other titles of this era. I think Buxer only named a few of the songs he liked.

The version of In the Back they worked on at the end of 2004, was that the version on the Ultimate Collection?

Also means there's updated versions of Beautiful Girl and The Way You Love Me....weren't these from 1999 with Michael revisiting them in 2005?
I have the Ultimate Collection, the booklet says:
Beautiful Girl: recorded 1998-2004
The Way You Love Me: recorded 2000-2004

Yeah, there’s a version of “In the Back” with additional instrumental passages from a renowned session player whose name escapes me.

The 2004 sessions seem to have been very productive as far as writing goes. “Days in Gloucestershire” is outstanding, and I’d love to hear what else they came up with.

Michaels most creative time were imo when he was more or less isolated at home.
"Carl: The other thing that really surprises me about the guy is that he was such a wonderful songwriter, and it seems like you need to have some kind of grounded life experience to write these really relatable songs. Jackson was born in a bubble, yet he was still able to write songs that moved ordinary people.

Dan [Beck]: Very much so. I was around him when he was in the studio, and he was never particularly a musician in the technical sense – he was a guy with ideas in his head and he would interpret them through musicians.
But I think so much of songwriting comes from isolation. Even as a child performer he had a lot of isolated time where he wasn’t like everybody else, and I think that’s why he became such a good writer. He was also a student of the whole business and I think that is part of it too."

Back