caught in the vault

Hot_Street

Proud Member
What are the reasons, some songs are still in the vault?
Songs like Hot Street, If You Don't Love Me, Chicago 1945, Dreams Away and Throwing Your Life Away are sure good enough to be released, aren't they?
Where's the problem?

UPDATE: Statement of the Estate:

Last edited:
There are various reasons; it could be that they either think it wouldn't fit the album they want to release, it could be that they're saving for other albums, it could be that they don't have permission to release the song or it could just be that they're not interested in releasing it. For songs like Chicago 1945 it's mainly due to the 3rd reason. The estate already considered using TYLA for Michael and Xscape so it's very likely that they'll release the song someday.

What are the reasons, some songs are still in the vault?
Songs like Hot Street, If You Don't Love Me, Chicago 1945, Dreams Away and Throwing Your Life Away are sure good enough to be released, aren't they?
Where's the problem?

UPDATE: Statement of the Estate:
because Sony and Estate are AS**OLES šŸ˜”

i think sony would be more interested in releasing music.

but the estate is a bunch of complete idiots. stupid re-releases or projects nobody is asking for: scream album, thriller40, otw40, crappy Megamix by Mark Ronson, Kygo song, Mashup song Dangerous X BOTDF, King of Style.

why is it so hard to release a boxset of new music?
T40 demos were a collection of random songs in bad quality (+ already known stuff)

i think sony would be more interested in releasing music.

but the estate is a bunch of complete idiots. stupid re-releases or projects nobody is asking for: scream album, thriller40, otw40, crappy Megamix by Mark Ronson, Kygo song, Mashup song Dangerous X BOTDF, King of Style.

why is it so hard to release a boxset of new music?
T40 demos were a collection of random songs in bad quality (+ already known stuff)
Some of the T40 songs weren't bad as far as quality, just bad selections. I mean why put Can't Get Out Of The Rain on there? It's a 3 minute song with Michael repeating the same line over and over and over. Plus it was released as a B-side on 45 vinyl years ago.....it wasn't needed.

I swear, monkey's could make better selections of songs then Branca does.

especially Behind the Mask, which I had the biggest hope for
If you ask me, I'd like albums filled with demos of one song. They should release a Give in to Me album with every demo of this song. The next month a Who Is It album and its demos. ...

Last edited:
Some of the T40 songs weren't bad as far as quality, just bad selections. I mean why put Can't Get Out Of The Rain on there? It's a 3 minute song with Michael repeating the same line over and over and over. Plus it was released as a B-side on 45 vinyl years ago.....it wasn't needed.
Well, it kinda was. I didn't know the song, I didn't have it and I love it. Admittedly, it did get shoved aside (along with the whole of T40) by Dream Away. In the last week or so, I've started listening to CGOOTR again; it's the only T40 track I'm paying attention to right now.

Putting CGOOTR instead of the original demo of Don't Matter To Me on T40 was such a wasted opportunity, the estate wouldn't be losing anything if they put the song there since they have absolutely no use for it.

especially Behind the Mask, which I had the biggest hope for
If you ask me, I'd like albums filled with demos of one song. They should release a Give in to Me album with every demo of this song. The next month a Who Is It album and its demos. ...
An album of one song's demos would not have mass appeal. I don't think it would even appeal to the core fanbase.

Back