Coca-Cola and Michael Jackson

MJBrazil21

Proud Member
Why are Michael Jackson and Coca-Cola not popular in North Korea? one is the most famous and consumed drink brand in the world and the other is supposedly the most famous person in the world and of all time?

Michael about Coca-Cola:
He got monkey finger, he shoot Coca-Cola
Come Together, 1995

Why are Michael Jackson and Coca-Cola not popular in North Korea?
I think the Korean government would prefer people listen to Korean singers and drink Korean drinks, instead of American ones, that's all.

Coca-Cola is popular in North Korea, especially in Pyongyang (the capital of the country).

Coca-Cola is bottled in China and the bottles have labels on them written in Chinese, which are later transported into North Korea.

These Coca-Cola bottles (in North Korea) contain the original flavour of Coca-Cola.

North Korea also produces a clone version of the Coca-Cola drink (that has a slightly different flavour compared to the Coca-Cola drink).

Coca-Cola is popular in North Korea, especially in Pyongyang (the capital of the country).
Why would you say this?

I was curious so I just googled it. According to two sources, Coke is banned in North Korea.

Tut.

Coca-Cola is bottled in China and the bottles have labels on them written in Chinese, which are later transported into North Korea.
Huh? You realize North Koreans don't speak Chinese, right?! The Korean language isn't even written using Chinese characters.

These Coca-Cola bottles (in North Korea) contain the original flavour of Coca-Cola.

North Korea also produces a clone version of the Coca-Cola drink (that has a slightly different flavour compared to the Coca-Cola drink).
You are about as accurate as Wikipedia

It's like saying "Copan Dry is bottled in Honduras, therefore it must be popular in USA".

Why would you say this?

I was curious so I just googled it. According to two sources, Coke is banned in North Korea.

Tut.

Huh? You realize North Koreans don't speak Chinese, right?! The Korean language isn't even written using Chinese characters.
Foreign people who visited North Korea also confirmed that Coca-Cola is sold there.

For example, in Pyongyang, Coca-Cola can be found in restaurants, pizzerias, hotels, and supermarkets.

There was also a video (on YouTube) that showed a pizzeria in Pyongyang serving Coca-Cola to its customers.

I don't know who that is. Rodman? In any case, when there's a diplomatic meeting like that, the people involved probably took a week's supply of Coke with them on their private jet. Note the English can. I also get suspicious when products are facing perfectly towards the camera like that.

Again, one photo doesn't prove anything. The question was whether Coke was popular. It doesn't seem believable that a country with American sanctions against it will be drinking lots of American drinks.

Duh, of course Coke isnt popular in North Korea. But it's there.
How do you think they got Rodman there, they watch basketball.

Why are Michael Jackson and Coca-Cola not popular in North Korea? one is the most famous and consumed drink brand in the world and the other is supposedly the most famous person in the world and of all time?
Books written on the subject in the 90s say that kids in school told journalists that they knew who Michael Jackson was, listened to his music and even did the moonwalk for the. However after his death reporters were told that few knew who him, a article i saw said that they didn't recognize anything about the west and only one child knew who Michael Jackson was and that was because he left North Korea to live in China

Books written on the subject in the 90s say that kids in school told journalists that they knew who Michael Jackson was, listened to his music and even did the moonwalk for the. However after his death reporters were told that few knew who him, a article i saw said that they didn't recognize anything about the west and only one child knew who Michael Jackson was and that was because he left North Korea to live in China
Wow, this is amazing, but how did North Koreans know Michael Jackson in the 90s? I think some Western reporters who showed their music videos to the students

Books written on the subject in the 90s say that kids in school told journalists that they knew who Michael Jackson was, However after his death reporters were told that few knew who him
The answer is simple. In the 90s, MJ was a big star, and in 2000 he wasn't.

Really, in 2008, you'd be hard pushed to find an English 10-year-old who listened to MJ. This is especially true in a country that hates America.

Back