Complain to ofcom about leaving neverland

MJTruth

Proud Member
I'm surprised that people aren't talking about this here.

We should ALL complain to OFCOM about the show. It's the only way they'll take it seriously.

https://ofcomforms.secure.force.com/formentry/SitesFormCSLEStandardsComplaints

Details:

Programme title: "Leaving Neverland: Michael Jackson and Me"
Date of broadcast: 6th March 2019 (I guess you could file a second complaint for the second part shown on 7th March 2019)
Time of broadcast: 21:00
Channel / station: Channel 4

If you do PLEASE focus on the aspects of the broadcasting code that have been breached.

https://www.ofcom.org.uk/__data/assets/pdf_file/0016/132073/Broadcast-Code-Full.pdf

For example

Opportunity to contribute and proper consideration of facts

7.9 Before broadcasting a factual programme, including programmes examining past events, broadcasters should take reasonable care to satisfy themselves that:

• material facts have not been presented, disregarded or omitted in a way that is unfair to an individual or organisation; and
• anyone whose omission could be unfair to an individual or organisation has been offered an opportunity to contribute

And also

7.11 If a programme alleges wrongdoing or incompetence or makes other significant allegations, those concerned should normally be given an appropriate and timely opportunity to respond.
7.13 Where it is appropriate to represent the views of a person or organisation that is not participating in the programme, this must be done in a fair manner.

REMEMBER this is not about declaring MJ innocent or not. They don't care about that.
You argument MUST be focused on the breach of their code.

For what it's worth I don't believe a brief text statement saying Culkin and Barnes is enough to balance the insinuation they too were abused. Particularly when both commented publicly in the lead up to the broadcast and it is very possible that their own words in response to the show COULD have been used instead! Their views could not have been reflected adequately because they were not sought, public statements were not included, and in the case of Brett Barnes, his wishes to be removed from the show were ignored. (A breach of section 7.9 and 7.13). His letter to HBO equally applies to Channel 4 as far as I'm concerned.

The show make significant allegations about Michael Jackson and I don't think including footage of MJ discussing PRIOR allegations is sufficient right of reply to THESE very specific allegations being made by Wade and James. Simply put, MJ was NOT responding to their allegations at all, as they had made none at the time the footage was recorded. As MJ's legal representation, only the MJ Estate can respond in a legal sense, but they were not informed at any time ahead of the Sundance announcement. (A breach of section 7.11) Their letters to HBO and Channel 4 were in effect ignored. Channel 4 refused to engage with them, despite the MJ Estate providing information to suggest that the show was being less than honest with its viewers. Information that could be backed up by court documents. As such, it is patently obvious that material facts have been disregarded and omitted from the show. (A breach of section 7.9)

Last edited:
Channel can be sanctioned/fined made to advertise the ruling. Ofcom is a toothless tiger though.if they dont rule in mjs favours over this they never will considering how one sided it is

I've seen short apologies mentioned after complaints to Ofcom......not sure many pay any attention to that.....the media certainly won't if it regards MJ.

They are ordered to do it. And its not just them having to publically reteact but its the actual ruling that matters

They are ordered to do it. And its not just them having to publically reteact but its the actual ruling that matters

I agree Ofcom is weak, but I do believe it is always important to take a stand and complain to the regulator.
If you don't complain, you can't complain when more crap like this airs later.

Back