Digital Music and Best Audio Quality (Apple Digital Masters)

Mister_Jay_Tee

Proud Member
Donations
$1.00
So I wanna talk about the lossless music quality some more.

How do Apple Digital Masters sound for:

Invincible
Michael (Assuming that it's on there; if not, what's the best version of this album, quality wise)
Bad 25
Xscape
Thriller 40

And are they really superior to other "HD" high res audio collecting sites?

So I wanna talk about the lossless music quality some more.

How do Apple Digital Masters sound for:

Invincible
Michael (Assuming that it's on there; if not, what's the best version of this album, quality wise)
Bad 25
Xscape
Thriller 40

And are they really superior to other "HD" high res audio collecting sites?
Michael is the exact same on every single release, CD, streaming, doesn't matter, they're all the exact same.
As for Bad 25th and Xscape, there's very slight differences between the CD releases and the streaming versions, to my knowledge though there's not really a great difference between each, the only one that's different is the apple version of both since they've got equalized and might sound slightly better for some people, however they're still pretty ass lol
As for Invincible, the streaming version (not counting apple as i haven't heard that one) is pretty much identical to the CD releases.

Michael is the exact same on every single release, CD, streaming, doesn't matter, they're all the exact same.
As for Bad 25th and Xscape, there's very slight differences between the CD releases and the streaming versions, to my knowledge though there's not really a great difference between each, the only one that's different is the apple version of both since they've got equalized and might sound slightly better for some people, however they're still pretty ass lol
As for Invincible, the streaming version (not counting apple as i haven't heard that one) is pretty much identical to the CD releases.
I've noticed with Michael that it is the same just about everywhere. As long as its flac. Invincible only sounded better on the vinyls, mainly the 2009 one, and that Butterflies Promo Edit.

Bad 25 and Xscape do sound better? I'll take every little bit I can get. Does Streetwalker still sound better on the 2001 special edition?

Xscape does sound better from iTunes.

I'm gonna look at acquiring some Apple Digital Masters of the Jackson 5 eras. Since I've never owned those before anyway. How do The Jackson's/CBS records compare?

Rarely mentioned but worth knowing: The Ultimate Fan Extras Collection on iTunes has slightly different masters of Another Day and For All Time. These are the best-sounding versions of both songs.

Rarely mentioned but worth knowing: The Ultimate Fan Extras Collection on iTunes has slightly different masters of Another Day and For All Time. These are the best-sounding versions of both songs.
Now that is good to know, thank you.

Does Streetwalker still sound better on the 2001 special edition?

Not sure if you question is strictly about Apple but a quick comparison of the CD versions, 2001 is a bit less compressed than 2012.
Also, Bad 25 bonus are slightly better on vinyl.

Not sure if you question is strictly about Apple but a quick comparison of the CD versions, 2001 is a bit less compressed than 2012.
In this case I'm mostly dwelling on just finding the best quality. I hear good things about Apple sometimes, but not a lot of information.

That about lines up with what I've heard, about Bad 25 sounding terrible.

Discussions about best release can go endless (and I need to go just after writing this post). But there's already a thread in this forum and also one in the 2000 Watts section. You'll find relevant (but unstructured) info there...

Reactions: MJ5
Yeah I've seen those. Never had what I was looking for exactly. But I'll try to maintain a presence there.

I prefer the Bad 25 version of Streetwalker.

The one on the Bad 2001 special edition transitions from the interview tracks, meaning you hear it start as the previous track ends and the next track begins right when streetwalker ends. The song on Bad 25 doesnā€™t do this and it is without interruptions. They didnā€™t just copy it from the 2001 special edition, they went back to the 1/2ā€ master.

I prefer the Bad 25 version of Streetwalker.

The one on the Bad 2001 special edition transitions from the interview tracks, meaning you hear it start as the previous track ends and the next track begins right when streetwalker ends. The song on Bad 25 doesnā€™t do this and it is without interruptions. They didnā€™t just copy it from the 2001 special edition, they went back to the 1/2ā€ master.
True. However, it is much more compressed (therefore brickwalled).

I agree with our fellows that the 2001 versions of Streetwalker and Fly Away for that fact.

There's a certain warmness to the original CDs I bought. I have them ripped in lossless FLAC to my computer, and they sound better than what is streamed over Apple Music Lossless.

It's a lot easier to listen to streaming services than buy music, and a lot of computers don't have CD/DVD drives anymore (and CD players aren't as popular or easy to come by anymore), but the master that streaming services have is usually inferior to the purchased one.

I swear by all the original CDs and Vinyls MJ's albums were released as during his lifetime and mostly by his oversight. I hear the OTW SE is a little better than the 1979 original though. Thriller on SACD also sounds good?

I really can't get started on the main albums, I'm mostly content there. Im trying to get through all the side material mostly.

True. However, it is much more compressed (therefore brickwalled).

I agree with our fellows that the 2001 versions of Streetwalker and Fly Away for that fact.
That might not be a problem with the better master of Apple/iTunes. It's much more balanced. I'm So Blue definitely is.

I prefer both, and if that means nothing is available, then so be it. Of course, just talking for myself here.
Well I get that. But idk, I'm just getting into this. Take for example, Michael, it sounds the same no matter where. If I got the CD and ripped to FLAC, that would sound the best maybe. But is it that much better really than just investing in the iTunes? More convenient and instant. In instances like that that's where I say it's fine.

I'd take well mastered mp3 over a compressed to hell flac any day. Just gotta look at how the xscape leaks sound better than the released versions as a prime example.
Maybe they sound better on Apple Digital Masters though, nod to the thread title.

All the original pressings ar far better in my opinion. With the exception of the 2022 Thriller MOFI SACD and Vinyl. Those are wonderful!

And what about the records I mentioned in my first comment in this post?
Michael: Uses the same master on all platforms
Bad 25: I only hear a difference between the Bad 25 cd and streaming versions. I don't think that the apple music one is any different to Spotify in terms of mastering. The first cd pressing is the very best in terms of mastering.
Xscape: Don't hear any difference between cd and streaming platforms.
Thriller 40: No big difference eather between streaming platforms. The first cd pressing or the sacd have the best mastering.

"Apple Digital Masters is a specification set by Apple Music to ensure that the highest quality masters are created for their Apple Music Platform. Based on the Apple Digital Masters guidelines, your master should be of the highest original bit-depth and sampling-rate possible and should avoid clipping.".

Most of the time it isn't a master made special for Apple, just that the master passed the "quality check" of Apple. I don't think you will hear adifference between hi-res streaming sites.

Dangerous is all digital and some say there's no difference between the 1st press CD and vinyl for the vinyl is quieter due to the cutting method (it has to be), but the dynamic range is somewhat better on it.
Dangerous is DAD šŸ˜Ž

Back