Do you think MJ was over saturated during the Bad Era?

That's true but if you take the Dangerous era for instance, it's well known the number of days he was on set for short films were a lot less. He even used doubles and stand ins for some short films during the Dangerous era

You're right about the HIStory era though, I think we would have got another short film or two if Mike hadn't have focused on Ghosts, but that's understandable

Also, the aggressive and costly promotion in the post-BAD eras show the exact opposite.

For example, in the HIStory era Michael Jackson at that time focused more on the promotion of his new music, rather than on his new music.

The HIStory video teaser for instance, which was shot in Hungary, although it was so brief (4 minutes), yet it cost around 4 million dollars.

Or, the 'Scream' music video which was the most expensive music video ever made (7 million dollars).
How do you determine that he focused more on the promotion than on the actual music? He spent a year and a half in the studio creating the record and some songs (e.g. Earth Song) took a total of 7 years to complete. Yes, he spent a lot of money on the music video, but that doesn't necessarily show that he was more dedicated towards the promotion than to the actual content.

Also, it is irrelevant whose idea it was for Michael to make the cameo in Liberian Girl. It doesn't disprove the theory that he must have been tired to make short films at the end of the Bad era. In the end, he was the one to decide what he was going to do. If he would have wanted to make a more elaborate short film for Liberian Girl, he would have done so.

Bad era is marketing & branding101 to me... While Thriller was the largest selling album, Bad era outdid Thriller in many regards on the backend. He was highly saturated but the fact that it kept selling shows it was not oversaturated. Dangerous had huge potential and was starting off huge until... Well, we all know what happened.

Now onto Bad. MJ released his autobiography, the album, the tour and moonwalker on cinema and VHS! On the album he made an abundance of music videos, 8 to be exact, that was playing on tv stations.
And he had a video game.

I don't think he was overexposed, because the album was a big success and the second biggest selling after Thriller at the time. It didn't sell as much, but no album was going to. I think it would have sold more if not for MJ being seen as eccentric, though. Maybe in a world where all the plastic surgery, skin bleaching, hyperbaric chamber, Elephant Man, chimpanzee etc talk never took place, Bad could have matched Thriller.

But it was a huge success nonetheless. Dangerous actually sold almost as much as it, too; I think it would have surpassed it if not for the 1993 scandal. And had that scandal not taken place, I think MJ's next album would have sold as much, too; it would have certainly been a totally different album from History.

Last edited:
Back