Earth Song vs Earth Song :)

RIP_2009

Proud Member
Long vs short version.
I love the original 6:45 album version of this song,one of my all time MJ favorites.
I just recently heard the short radio/single 5:00 or whatever its called and it was a pleasent listen despite being
almost 2 minutes shorter.
Over the years I have heard many shorter versions of songs that I really like but they have all been butchered and not enjoyable at all so
thats why I have been avoided the short version of ES. (Prince-Purple Rain and Pink Floyd-High Hopes comes to mind)
I still much prefer the album version of Earth Song but the shorter one is also good 😊👍

Last edited:
I love the album version - I consider it one of the best songs of the 90s.

I do remember hearing the short version on the radio when it was released, but I didn't give it that much thought. However, about 2 years ago I picked up the CD single (for the remixes of WBSS). The radio version on there is 6:46. I know there is another version that's 4:58. But it's an epic song that needs the length.

Working in a club in 1995, our DJ had made a very short version - basically it was the first verse, and then went straight into the drums kicking in, and then was mixed into something else shortly after.

If you want the longest version, look for Hani's Around The World Experience, which is 14:47!

As for Purple Rain - the last 2 minutes is utter garbage. That's one song I always cut down.

If you want the longest version, look for Hani's Around The World Experience, which is 14:47!

As for Purple Rain - the last 2 minutes is utter garbage. That's one song I always cut down.
The 14:47 version is…to me….simply awful 😌
In 95% of the time I really dislike remixes…..
Agree regarding Purple Rain the 8:40 album version,the last 2 minutes is just useless (so thanks for audio edit software)
Same with the single version as its only 4 minutes long…way too short.

Purple Rain is a perfect song from beginning to end.
It is….up to approx 7:00…for me that is.
I really wish the record company would release the raw live recording before overdubbing was done.
Would fit well on one of the many PR album releases ….including the recent box set.

I don't think I've heard the shorter version, but there's one line from the song which still stands out:

"What have we done to the world, look what we've done / What about all the peace, that You pledged Your only Son?"

For a man who was raised as a Jehovah's Witness, that's about as close to outright Biblical as Michael ever got...and as a Christian myself, I was both surprised and very pleased.

Back