Elvis Presley (sort of) crowns Justin Bieber "the 21st century King of Pop"; outrage ensues

NatureCriminal7896

Proud Member
Elvis Presley (sort of) crowns Justin Bieber "the 21st century King of Pop"; outrage ensues

Elvis Presley will forever be the King of Rock and Roll, but according to him -- or at least his estate -- Justin Bieber is the King of Pop, 21st century edition.

When Justin's new album, Changes, debuted at number one recently, it made him, at age 25, the youngest artist ever to score seven number-one albums. The previous record holder was Elvis, which is why his estate tweeted its congratulations Tuesday to Justin on the chart achievement.

"Yesterday, music history was made. What does the King of Rock n Roll have in common with the 21st century King of Pop?" the Elvis account wrote, re-tweeting Justin's tweet about the chart stats. "Congratulations on setting a new record."
Today, Justin responded, "Thank you King and to the entire Presley family."

While it's only polite that Justin expressed gratitude for the compliment, fans are now complaining that nobody should dub Justin -- or anybody -- the King of Pop, regardless of century, because Michael Jackson is the only one who deserves that title.
Some fans got pretty heated about the tweet, with one writing, "It looks maniac by the Presley Estate to post horrendous crap like this."

Another one added, "You trying to strip a black man of his King of Pop achievement and give it to a white guy during black history month? The causality!"

Still another summed it up by writing, "MJ been making great music till 50. Stardom and influence like no other. Choreography and artistry on a whole diff level compared to JB. Nothing against JB but they totally dropped the bar when it came to this young white artist who barely had to prove himself the way MJ did."

https://www.wrmf.com/elvis-presley-...-the-21st-century-king-of-pop-outrage-ensues/

Re: Elvis Presley (sort of) crowns Justin Bieber "the 21st century King of Pop"; outrage ensues

I say congrats to him. i'm not a fan of his music nor he never be on Michael game. but that's good news if you ask me. and the fact he 25. I don't think he will be on Michael level but good for him.

as fans we need to realize that this will probably happen to everything Michael ever done. let's face it. he gone and not coming back. new people gonna come. and Michael was totally okay with it.

even though this gonna happen let's say Michael did everything first and is an legend.

Last edited:
Re: Elvis Presley (sort of) crowns Justin Bieber "the 21st century King of Pop"; outrage ensues

Who the hell cares. Congrats Bieber, records can be and will be broken eventually. King of this or king of that is just cringeworthy anyway.

Since Michael never named himself the "King Of Pop" i don't really care... if he did i wouldn't care too.
We all know that JB is not even close to his level and i am pretty sure even JB fans would realise this.
No hate to JB though.

What a joke. Getting #1 on the album charts is not what it used to be and honestly streaming changes the whole dynamics so i'm not sure it's even measurable against older records anymore.

Regardless, the Elvis estate acting like some sort of authority is hilarious!

Good for Bieber. Doesn't make him a King of Pop though. Yet another attempt to erase/downplay Michael's legacy.

Regardless, the Elvis estate acting like some sort of authority is hilarious!

I know right they think they ''all that''

Talk is cheap. Why dont they say he is the next Elvis; but then again, MJ is the defination of GREATNESS but they will never take that title (really that title is not good enuf for MJ and limited on what MJ was if you look at the big picture)

records can be and will be broken eventually.

Your right. some fans need to realize this. and the fact he's not with us anymore. but he will always be an legend.

Talk is cheap. Why dont they say he is the next Elvis; but then again, MJ is the defination of GREATNESS but they will never take that title (really that title is not good enuf for MJ and limited on what MJ was if you look at the big picture)

hahaha you got a point. yeah something wasn't right about that post. Elvis estate knew what they was doing. but no hate to JB though.

It is just a title, which even Michael Jackson fans do not really take it too seriously.

Also, Michael Jackson does not have the exclusive ownership of the ‘King Of Pop’ title.

In previous, different eras in music history, different artists had that title, too.

American singer Frank Sinatra, for example, was the first artist who had that ‘King Of Pop’ title (during the ‘40s).

In the following three decades, other artists also got that honorific title.

Then, on February 8th (1984), New York Post referred to Michael Jackson for the first time as the new ‘King Of Pop’.

“BALM ON INJURED NEW KING OF POP” wrote the headline in the newspaper’s article reporting his recovery from the burns on his scalp after the Pepsi accident.

Michael Jackson liked having that ‘King Of Pop’ title (as a moniker) so much to the point that from late ‘80s onwards he even demanded to be called with that title.

Nearly twenty years later, in 2003 Rolling Stone magazine called American pop singer Justin Timberlake as the new 'King Of Pop'.

Now, the ‘King Of Pop’ title is given to the Canadian pop singer Justin Bieber.

In the following decades, that title is going to be given to other pop artists.

In any case, that ‘King Of Pop’ title serves no practical purpose at all.

mj_frenzy;4283236 said:
It is just a title, which even Michael Jackson fans do not really take it too seriously.

Also, Michael Jackson does not have the exclusive ownership of the ‘King Of Pop’ title.

In previous, different eras in music history, different artists had that title, too.

American singer Frank Sinatra, for example, was the first artist who had that ‘King Of Pop’ title (during the ‘40s).

Then, on February 8th (1984), New York Post referred to Michael Jackson for the first time as the new ‘King Of Pop’.

“BALM ON INJURED NEW KING OF POP” wrote the headline in the newspaper’s article reporting his recovery from the burns on his scalp after the Pepsi accident.

Michael Jackson liked having that ‘King Of Pop’ title (as a moniker) so much to the point that from late ‘80s onwards he even demanded to be called with that title.

Nearly twenty years later, in 2003 Rolling Stone magazine called American pop singer Justin Timberlake as the new 'King Of Pop'.

I could call you the King of Pop - that doesn't mean it carries any weight. Adam Levine was called it. Does anyone still refer to Adam Levine as the King of Pop? No.

Yes people have been given the title fleetingly in the media but the fact of the matter is that Michael Jackson, in many eyes is the true King of Pop and most likely always will be.

Who the hell cares. Congrats Bieber, records can be and will be broken eventually. King of this or king of that is just cringeworthy anyway.

There are many records Michael Jackson set that will never be broken.

There are many records Michael Jackson set that will never be broken.

Exactly. For example, no one will ever top 66 million pure physical sales of one album.
And there are many more.

We need to give other artists a chance. we don't have to like them. let's face it Michael is gone and never coming back. he will never be erase but let's others have a
go. if Michael was alive he would say the samething.

Michael was a freaking human being. nobody owns Michael but himself.

mj_frenzy;4283236 said:

Frank Sinatra was called the "King Of Pop" in the 1940s??

Your claims seems to be based solely on this salty article:
https://www.theguardian.com/music/musicblog/2009/jul/13/michael-jackson-king-of-pop

And you misread it.
The author writes about which other artists he thinks should be titled that way throughout music history (not who actually was).

Also, I'm no music history expert, but I never saw the term "Pop" being widely used before the 60s. So why would anyone be called "King of Pop" before "Pop" was even a thing.

mj_frenzy;4283236 said:

The practical purpose of such catchy titles is that they help to carry the hype. For the same reason "Thriller" will forever be promoted as the "best selling album of all time".

Anyway, no matter what one might think about the importance of such titles...
It's still nice if it was initially created for Michael.

Last edited:
mj_frenzy;4283236 said:

I think fans get frustrated over it because it always feels like a subtle-but-also-not-so-subtle attempt to downplay Michael's success and legacy. It seemed especially obvious with JT in 2003 since that was during one of Michael's lowest points and literally everyone was shitting on him.

Where did you hear that Michael demanded to be called that?

In 1991 there were reports that american TV stations who got to play the Black Or White video were "forced" to use that title. MTV later denied it.

How much truth there is to it, and how much Michael himself or his people pushed this idea or not, can only be speculated. In anyway it was a story that led to a lot of media end up calling him "self-proclaimed King of Pop".

An interesting read about that whole Black Or White comeback scenario in the USA from 1991:
https://ew.com/article/2009/06/25/michael-jacksons-black-or-white/

Last edited:

In 1991 there were reports that american TV stations who got to play the Black Or White video were "forced" to use that title. MTV later denied it.

How much truth there is to it, and how much Michael himself or his people pushed this idea or not, can only be speculated. In anyway it was a story that led to a lot of media end up calling him "self-proclaimed King of Pop".

An interesting read about that whole Black Or White comeback scenario in the USA from 1991:

Thank you for the info. The whole "self-proclaimed" thing always comes off to me as another tabloid spin to make him look selfish/egotistical/just plain bad, so I tend to kinda side-eye that stuff.

Amaya;4283325 said:
I think fans get frustrated over it because it always feels like a subtle-but-also-not-so-subtle attempt to downplay Michael's success and legacy. It seemed especially obvious with JT in 2003 since that was during one of Michael's lowest points and literally everyone was shitting on him.

Electro;4283326 said:

Amaya;4283335 said:
Thank you for the info. The whole "self-proclaimed" thing always comes off to me as another tabloid spin to make him look selfish/egotistical/just plain bad, so I tend to kinda side-eye that stuff.

But it was actually a self-proclaimed thing.

Michael Jackson wanted desperately a moniker in the mid/late ‘80s, like the ones of Bruce Springsteen, Frank Sinatra and Elvis Presley.

Bob Jones, who was his long-time publicist from 1987 to 2004, planned to officially bestow upon him the honorific ‘King Of Pop’ title in 1989.

Although it did not happen through Bob Jones’ ghost-written speech that Quincy Jones was about to read, it did happen through Elizabeth Taylor who officially introduced him as ‘King Of Pop’ at the 1989 Soul Train Awards ceremony.

“…I put the words in the speech for Quincy to refer to Michael as ‘the King of Pop’ – a title I had bestowed upon him because Michael had wanted a moniker like Bruce Springsteen, Frank Sinatra and Elvis. In fact, I was the one who got Liz Taylor to introduce him at the Soul Train Awards in 1989 as ‘the King of Pop, Rock and Soul’. Anyway, on this particular night, Quincy read my ghost-written speech, but left out the ‘King Of Pop’ part. Michael was furious…” (Bob Jones, 'Michael Jackson: The Man Behind The Mask' book)

”… And in my estimation, the true ‘King Of Pop, Rock And Soul’, Mr. Michael Jackson! (audience applauds)…” (Elizabeth Taylor, Soul Train Awards, 1989)

Bob Jones also began releasing press releases which explicitly stated that Michael Jackson had to be called ‘the King Of Pop’.

Michael Jackson and Bob Jones went as far as to even refuse giving interviews to journalists who did not call him ‘King Of Pop’.

This information (that Michael Jackson demanded to be called as ‘King Of Pop’) can be corroborated also by other sources, such as by Larry Stessel from Epic Records.

Ok, but as you also already wrote, technically we still have the New York Post "proclaiming" him "King Of Pop" first in 1984. :)

It might be true what Bob writes. On the other hand, you also have to keep in mind that he's one of the backstabbing people who can't be fully trusted. Remember, after he got fired, he also took part in that tabloid trash Diane Dimond TV docu where he sort of hinted with an ugly smirk that something might have happened between Michael and Jordan Chandler during the trip to Monaco for the World Music Awards 1993. I haven't read Bobs book, but as these types of people usually do, he very likely spiced it all up as much as he could to get it sold.

Btw, does anyone remember when the british press first came up with "Wäcko Jäcko"?
We know that Michael hated that, so if that came up in the late 80s as well, it probably strongly added to his desire to establish a more positive moniker for him.

Last edited:

I don't understand why MJ stans get so triggered when someone other Michael is refereed to as the King of Pop. I honestly don't think it's that big a deal.

And besides, I think these titles such as King of Pop, Queen of Pop etc are incredibly stupid and cringeworthy.

The previous record holder was Elvis, which is why his estate tweeted its congratulations Tuesday to Justin on the chart achievement.
If it was Elvis's record that Bieber broke, why didn't they offer him Elvis's title? :innocent:

Congrats to Bieber for his success, but it's not about him, or about titles. It doesn't matter either if MJ "self-proclaimed" himself or not, as a lot of artist/sportsmen etc. label themselves with grandiose titles and never get called out on that if there's achievement behind it. After the worldwide success and impact of Thriller & Bad there was nothing strange/unusual about MJ being titled as something like the KOP (be it given to him by the fans/public or by the request of his PR team).

The pattern here (done for decades) is to diminish MJ's achievements and replace him with someone more "suitable". Now the same is done again, by the estate of someone who himself was selected to be that "more suitable one" (it's not to disregard Elvis's undeniable talent and impact, or to blame him for this situation at all, but there's this uncomfortable side of history as well). It's awkward in every sense.

On the other hand, you also have to keep in mind that he's one of the backstabbing people who can't be fully trusted.
To say the least... For those who don't know him: Bob Jones worked for MJ as a publicist for decades, then betrayed him during the trial, was fired, "wrote" a tell-all-book with Stacey Brown (of all people), and even ended up as a (not too successful) witness for the prosecution.

As per TSCM@MJJRepository: Bob Jones admitted in court that much of what was (ghost) written in book was fake & sensationalized by Stacy Brown, Jones told stories cause he was desperate for money. And that was under oath, unlike a tell-all-book.
https://vindicatemj.wordpress.com/2...-jackson-the-man-behind-the-mask-part-1-of-2/

Last edited:
Electro;4283367 said:
Ok, but as you also already wrote, technically we still have the New York Post "proclaiming" him "King Of Pop" first in 1984. :)

It might be true what Bob writes. On the other hand, you also have to keep in mind that he's one of the backstabbing people who can't be fully trusted. Remember, after he got fired, he also took part in that tabloid trash Diane Dimond TV docu where he sort of hinted with an ugly smirk that something might have happened between Michael and Jordan Chandler during the trip to Monaco for the World Music Awards 1993. I haven't read Bobs book, but as these types of people usually do, he very likely spiced it all up as much as he could to get it sold.

Btw, does anyone remember when the british press first came up with "Wäcko Jäcko"?
We know that Michael hated that, so if that came up in the late 80s as well, it probably strongly added to his desire to establish a more positive moniker for him.

The Sun (UK tabloid newspaper) first called him in 1985 with that W.J. nickname.

Other tabloid newspapers followed quite soon that trend, and as a result, by late ‘80s that W.J. nickname was already in prevalent use by mostly white press/media (not just in UK, but also in other countries as well) when they referred to him.

About the etymology and meaning of that W.J. nickname itself, Joseph Vogel explained in his article (in 2012) that the W.J. nickname has clearly racist roots.

ozemouze;4283373 said:
If it was Elvis's record that Bieber broke, why didn't they offer him Elvis's title? :innocent:

Because Justin Bieber isn't a Rock'n'Roll singer but a Pop singer.

mj_frenzy;4283388 said:
The Sun (UK tabloid newspaper) first called him in 1985 with that W.J. nickname.

Other tabloid newspapers followed quite soon that trend, and as a result, by late ‘80s that W.J. nickname was already in prevalent use by mostly white press/media (not just in UK, but also in other countries as well) when they referred to him.

About the etymology and meaning of that W.J. nickname itself, Joseph Vogel explained in his article (in 2012) that the W.J. nickname has clearly racist roots.

''A British tabloid deemed him "***** *****" in 1985, but the nickname's etymology goes back further: "Jacco" or "Jacco Macacco" was Cockney slang for "monkey."In his absence came a flood of fantastical stories about shrines, hyperbaric chambers, and Elephant Man's bones. Most of these were harmless (and actually amused Jackson), but there was a darker side to the media backlash. - Joe Vogel

Last edited:
ozemouze;4283373 said:
To say the least... For those who don't know him: Bob Jones worked for MJ as a publicist for decades, then betrayed him during the trial, was fired, "wrote" a tell-all-book with Stacey Brown (of all people), and even ended up as a (not too successful) witness for the prosecution.

As per TSCM@MJJRepository: Bob Jones admitted in court that much of what was (ghost) written in book was fake & sensationalized by Stacy Brown, Jones told stories cause he was desperate for money. And that was under oath, unlike a tell-all-book.

The ‘King Of Pop’ part in Bob Jones’ book is a verified fact, confirmed also by other people (close to Michael Jackson).

Also, here is what Bob Jones again stated about that to Dan Glaister (who was at that time The Guardian’s Los Angeles correspondent):

“…That King of Pop sh-t… I named him. I named him the King of Pop, Rock and Soul. He changed it just to the King of Pop…" (Bob Jones, The Guardian, 2005)

There are also other very interesting, verified facts about Michael Jackson’s life and career in Bob Jones’ book.

One of them, is Michael Jackson’s demand during his performance at the 1996 World Music Awards (in Monaco) to have a fan enter the stage and hug him (in order to show publicly to the world how his fans adored him).

But producers of that event did not permit that thing to happen due to safety reasons.

Michael will never be replace. he is an legend.

No idea why bob jones is being credited as the be all source

Guess this means the Chandler shit is true as well then

<blockquote class="twitter-tweet"><p lang="en" dir="ltr">When Michael Jackson was the same age, he broke the record for most Grammys won in one night for Thriller. Who&#39;s the king of pop? It&#39;s still Michael Jackson. <a href="https://t.co/H478T0qiht">https://t.co/H478T0qiht</a></p>&mdash; andjustice4some (@andjustice4some) <a href="https://twitter.com/andjustice4some/status/1236295968854691840?ref_src=twsrc%5Etfw">March 7, 2020</a></blockquote> <script async src="https://platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

Back