History, Mystery and Memories

Moonstreet

Proud Member
I know the fan community has changed a lot over maybe the last 6 or 8 years. I know there are many fans joining the fan community who have no knowledge of being a fan when Michael was alive or the first few years after his death.

Theres a lot of inaccurate information out there, theres a lot of missing information. There are some great researchers who became active after Michael died who have put a lot of work into various aspects of Michaels life.

But there are huge knowledge gaps about Michael and the fan community, especially in the years after History tour.

So nows your chance. Lets have a question and answer thread and hopefully fill in some of those knowledge gaps. I don't claim to have all the answers and know everything, but if I don't know something I might be able to give a path as to where that information may be found.

Here is a very difficult question.

In the liner notes of the 'Invincible' album (and actually in a very prominent position), there is the following dedication:

"TO CAROLE BAYER SAGER

WITHOUT YOU THIS ALBUM COULD NOT HAVE BEEN POSSIBLE
WE TRULY LOVE YOU FROM THE BOTTOM OF OUT HEARTS

MICHAEL JACKSON & RODNEY JERKINS
"

This particular dedication has perplexed many of his fans.

They have been wondering why American female songwriter Carole Bayer Sager was so important to the point that this album could not have been possible without her.

Carole Bayer Sager just co-wrote one song that made that album ('You Are My Life').

Here is a very difficult question.

In the liner notes of the 'Invincible' album (and actually in a very prominent position), there is the following dedication:

"TO CAROLE BAYER SAGER

WITHOUT YOU THIS ALBUM COULD NOT HAVE BEEN POSSIBLE
WE TRULY LOVE YOU FROM THE BOTTOM OF OUT HEARTS

MICHAEL JACKSON & RODNEY JERKINS
"

This particular dedication has perplexed many of his fans.

They have been wondering why American songwriter Carole Bayer Sager was so important to the point that this album could not have been possible without her.

American female songwriter Carole Bayer Sager just co-wrote one song that made that album ('You Are My Life').

Hi.

Honestly I do not know. It was never something that we noticed or cared about at the time. Michael thanked many people both professional and personal contacts in the album notes. Maybe she gave behind the scenes advice about lyrics or musical direction. Maybe she gave personal advice.

Sometimes I think fans now a days read too deep into things. If you want to know, maybe you should try to contact her directly :)

I thought Carole Bayer Sager introduced Mike to Rodney Jerkins? So without her introduction, they might not have met and worked together on the majority of the Invincible album

That could be it, very likely :) its not something that stuck out to me when reading the album notes for the first time :)

I thought Carole Bayer Sager introduced Mike to Rodney Jerkins? So without her introduction, they might not have met and worked together on the majority of the Invincible album
That could be it, very likely :) its not something that stuck out to me when reading the album notes for the first time :)
But it was Teddy Riley who introduced Rodney Jerkins to Michael Jackson.

Rodney Jerkins publicly spoke about that.

"I met Michael Jackson because of Teddy Riley" (Rodney Jerkins, Halftime Chat Interview)

Teddy Riley took Rodney Jerkins from Virginia Beach (Virginia), he put him in his van, and he drove him to New York City.

Teddy Riley was playing (during the whole way to New York City) Michael Jackson's songs.

When they arrived, he took Rodney Jerkins to The Hit Factory recording studios.

Then, Teddy Riley told to Michael Jackson:

"You need to work with this kid someday" (Teddy Riley)

And this is what later happened, because Michael Jackson worked with Rodney Jerkins on the 'Invincible' album.

This great article from a book by Damien Shields seems to clarify it.

So Rodney first met Michael in the mid-90s through Teddy Riley. Then in 1999 at Carole Bayer Sager's LA home she said to Michael he should work with Jerkins and they met again there that day...

She also worked on songs like Stop the War (We've Had Enough demo) and You Are My Life and also provided the crew some tips on how to write for Michael, using music to tell a story.

Watching this thread!

Last edited:
@Moonstreet

What is your favorite memory of Michael when you met him? I can't remember right now if you were there when Michael asked the fans about their favorite songs, but reading that part always felt special.

Also, I'm wondering how you felt like that Michael reacted differently to certain fans? I know that sometimes he saw the quiet fans in the background and waved them coming to him, instead of other fans. Little stories like these would be nice 😊 It always seemed like he really appreciated the people that travelled a lot to see him.

Back