How much did History exactly sell as one album?

Spaceship

Proud Member
The RIAA counts an album's sales by disc, so if a double album sells 1m as one package, it's counted as 2m

History is said to have sold 20m worldwide. Is that as one package or counting both discs

I've seen many sources that specify it sold 20 million as one package and 40 million counting both discs.

20m can't be the truth. Invincible album sold 20m worldwide with zero promotion! History had one of the best promotion in history, so I bet it was sold for around 100m or more

You'd be surprised at how few sales there are these days - people simply stopped buying music.

Certified sales is 15.2 million, so that means about 8 million copies were sold.

Of course, it's more complicated than that - CD1 was reissued as a single disc in 2001, and sold four million copies worldwide by 2010. CD2 was released separately in 2011.

20m can't be the truth. Invincible album sold 20m worldwide with zero promotion! History had one of the best promotion in history, so I bet it was sold for around 100m or more
It dropped out of the charts worldwide after 2,5 months. Don’t delude yourself, it barely surpassed 5 million copies sold and that is a very optimistic figure.

oh. Sorry I was talking about money. Not amount of sales 😅😀 If History sold 20m COPIES, then it earned about 100 million dollars 🤔

The RIAA counts an album's sales by disc, so if a double album sells 1m as one package, it's counted as 2m

History is said to have sold 20m worldwide. Is that as one package or counting both discs
RIAA counts a double album as 2 separate discs as long as the combined running time of these 2 discs is at least 120 minutes.

The combined running time of the 'HIStory' album is more than 120 minutes, which means that this album's sales count as 2 separate discs.
The actual sales number of the 'Invincible' album is much lower than that.

The 'Invincible' album has actually sold 7 million copies worldwide, and that was also due to the fact that the album did not manage to re-enter charts after its initial release.

I had absolutely no idea !!
MS0xMTY2LmpwZWc.jpeg

@mj_frenzy I would even dispute the 7 million number. My estimate is around 5.5 million. It goes to show how important singles and tours are, the album would have had a much longer chart life if it had the normal average of 5 singles and a world tour.

According to wiki it re entered some charts in 2009 but those sales barely add up.

People used to say Invincible sold 12 million.
Then 8 million.
Then 6 million.
And now 5.5 million. :ROFLMAO:

@filmandmusic didn't you say 6m before? Make up your mind

Yet another thread hijacked into invincible discussion #212652
Because invincible is one of the best albums, Michael ever created. People love to discuss about something brilliant and cool😎

This is actually a brilliant question - I really don't think HIStory only sold 10m copies.

I agree. Invincible is definitely in my top 10 best MJ solo studio albums for sure!
Well, he has released only 10 albums (if Blood not counted) during active period at Motown & Epic.

so true..... Thriller, OTW and BAD are all pretty rubbish
They are not rubbish! Don't be so silly. All 7 Michael's albums are excellent. But it's okay to compare them between each other and make tops. From 1 to 7 i would say: Dangerous, Invincible, Bad, Thriller, History, BOTDF, OTW

Back