How much does the MJ estate charge as a licensing fee for Michael's music?

Experts on this field have revealed that it is very difficult (even if you have the required money) to get from the Michael Jackson Estate the appropriate licence in order to play Michael Jackson music in your commercials, video games, and so on.

Also, the Michael Jackson Estate charges very high prices for even a very short Michael Jackson music snippet of several seconds (for use in your commercials, video games, etc).

That is why, only very big companies (and usually multinational ones) can really afford to pay such very high prices when they want to get these appropriate licences.

The only reason the 2 songs were in Vice City is because they were part of a Sony thing- as soon as the rights were gone the songs were not only just taken off via updates, but completely removed from the games code (as confirmed with the recent anniversary releases). They never would have afforded 1 song let alone 2 had they gone via MJs company.

Is that a good strategy, especially now when no new music is being produced? Won't it be better to give more exposure and love to Michael's music through games and stuff?

Disclaimer: I know nothing about music business, I am just speaking from my common sense and wondering 🤔

I hope some songs appear in GTA 6 game was revealed today. GTA Vice City had Billie Jean and WBSS in 2002 but they were removed later re-releases.
That is very unlikely to happen due to MJ's tarnished reputation. Despite the fact of being found not guilty in a court of law . People still believe it and unfortunately mud sticks . Especially in a case such as this which is wrong I know.

I have no idea about the MJ Estate, 3 times I wanted to know how to use some music "with legal licence or at least author's agreement" in YouTube videos (none were MJ songs, one was a Prince song) :
- Once I ended up filling a very long form with many fields, some of them I had no clue what they were and never received a reply.
- Once I calculated an amount based on the equivalent of ASCAP in my country and the sum was tenths of thousands of EUR (involving yearly renewals)
- Once I wrote an e-mail to the organiser of a Broadway show the music originated from, but never got a reply.

But so I except tenths of thousands, maybe more for MJ songs... But also I thought that you could licence a song by reaching to author society's like ASCAP rather than estates... Maybe for big artists like MJ it's different. (Just my 2 cents.)

That is very unlikely to happen due to MJ's tarnished reputation. Despite the fact of being found not guilty in a court of law . People still believe it and unfortunately mud sticks . Especially in a case such as this which is wrong I know.
It has nothing to do with that, it's because the estate charges far too much money for his music.

A deal for a Michael Jackson Tribute Concert came out to $20 MILLION DOLLARS.

It fell through.

I think Hiker had the right idea. Does it make sense for MJ to be a luxury brand? And the answer is perhaps.

Back