If the Estate were to make more anniversary albums what songs would you want to see be put on disc 2?

ChanceToDance

Proud Member
I'll start. If the Estate were to make Dangerous 30, Invincible 25, Bad 40 and so on these would be the songs I'd like to see be released:

Off The Wall:
Little Susie Demo
Got To Find A Way Somehow
Going To Rio
Thank You For Life

Bad 40:
Buffallo Bill
Turning Me Off (The song has been said to be subpar but it's still a releasable song, so it should be released on an anniversary album so it's not wasted.)
Make Or Break (It's stated to be incomplete but still a good song, perfect place for it to be released.)
Be Me 4 A Day

Dangerous 30:
Ghost Of Another Lover (Would love to listen to this one in HQ.)
Mostly any Bryan Loren song

Invincible 25:
Monster (Song is largely incomplete but is said to be one of the best songs in the vault, should be released on this album.)
Cheater 2001
Get Your Weight Off Of Me
Chicago 1945 (If Steve Porcaro's version is already released beforehand)
Any song from that era that isn't complete, save the ones that are finished for a posthumous album.

The 1978 demo of Sunset Driver that Michael wanted on the 2001 Special Edition would be great to hear too

I'll start. If the Estate were to make Dangerous 30, Invincible 25, Bad 40 and so on these would be the songs I'd like to see be released:

Off The Wall:
Little Susie Demo
Got To Find A Way Somehow
Going To Rio
Thank You For Life

Bad 40:
Buffallo Bill
Turning Me Off (The song has been said to be subpar but it's still a releasable song, so it should be released on an anniversary album so it's not wasted.)
Make Or Break (It's stated to be incomplete but still a good song, perfect place for it to be released.)
Be Me 4 A Day

Dangerous 30:
Ghost Of Another Lover (Would love to listen to this one in HQ.)
Mostly any Bryan Loren song

Invincible 25:
Monster (Song is largely incomplete but is said to be one of the best songs in the vault, should be released on this album.)
Cheater 2001
Get Your Weight Off Of Me
Chicago 1945 (If Steve Porcaro's version is already released beforehand)
Any song from that era that isn't complete, save the ones that are finished for a posthumous album.
Who told you that be me for a day recorded and .off the wall unreleased recorded

Off The Wall:
Goin' to Rio
Iowa
Ode to sorrow

Bad 40:
Crack Kills
Throwing your life away
Earth Song demo from 80's
Hot Fever
Dirty Diana from 1983

Dangerous 30:
Men in Black
Work that body
She got it
Serious Effect

Invincible
I am a loser

Also wherever Michael McKellar fits!

Reactions: MJ5
Instead of anniversaries I’d rather see a big boxset released, preferably in a couple of volumes filled with demos, alternate takes, extended versions and outtakes nicely done in chronological order. These could be released in combination with studio , video and concert footage of each period. This obviously requires talking and making deals with Motown, the Jacksons And of course the Estate itself. The time stamps could be discussed but roughly like this:
Boxset 1 1969 - 1975
Boxset 2 1976 - 1980
Boxset 3 1981 - 1985
Boxset 4 1986 - 1991
Boxset 5 1992 - 2001
Boxset 6 2001 - 2009

Instead of anniversaries I’d rather see a big boxset released, preferably in a couple of volumes filled with demos, alternate takes, extended versions and outtakes nicely done in chronological order. These could be released in combination with studio , video and concert footage of each period. This obviously requires talking and making deals with Motown, the Jacksons And of course the Estate itself. The time stamps could be discussed but roughly like this:
Boxset 1 1969 - 1975
Boxset 2 1976 - 1980
Boxset 3 1981 - 1985
Boxset 4 1986 - 1991
Boxset 5 1992 - 2001
Boxset 6 2001 - 2009
This. Exactly this.

I don't give a tiny whatever for anniversaries. This right here is my only dream. It won't happen but I like to imagine that it could. In an alternate, perfect world.

P.S. Do we need 1967 / 68 for Steeltown Records stuff?

Boxset 1 1969 - 1975
Boxset 2 1976 - 1980
Boxset 3 1981 - 1985
Boxset 4 1986 - 1991
Boxset 5 1992 - 2001
Boxset 6 2001 - 2009

Would love an anthology type series. Definitely the most appealing thing they could do in my opinion.

P.S. Do we need 1967 / 68 for Steeltown Records stuff?
I don’t think there is a lot that survived time, there is a steeltown album but it is not particularly interesting and the audio isn’t the greatest.
But in an ideal world the first boxset would be 1964 - 1968

That is an insanely long career of recording and performing, if he was still among us he would still be recording I am sure of that.

Boxset 1 1969 - 1975
Boxset 2 1976 - 1980
Boxset 3 1981 - 1985
Boxset 4 1986 - 1991
Boxset 5 1992 - 2001
Boxset 6 2001 - 2009
In an unrealistic world, yes, but remember this. The rights to the Jacksons' songs as well as Michael's music is split up between three different companies. Motown/Universal for their 1969-1975 recordings, Philly International/Legacy for their 1975-77 recordings, and Epic/Legacy for their 1978-2009 recordings. For that to realisitcally happen, the Estate would have to contact the departments of Motown, PIR, and Epic - and gain the approval of their respective producers and any others who may have been involved (and obviously the brothers themselves).

That's not even getting to the fact that there were rarely any songs with different takes, as Michael had a knack for comping his performances in the last two decades of his career. I'm just saying, the Estate would have to go through a bunch of red tape to make that happen.

I don’t think there is a lot that survived time, there is a steeltown album but it is not particularly interesting and the audio isn’t the greatest.
Mm, yeah, but this is fantasy I'm talking about, lol. That Steeltown album intrigues me. Haven't listened to all of it but I love Soul Jerk, Lonely Heart and I Found A Love. I agree the quality isn't the best but I don't mind that bc hearing early stuff is always so interesting.

Of no interest to the Estate, of course, since they wouldn't see it as a money spinner plus there would be a dreadful mountain of business red tape to get through. This will only ever exist in my head but I wish it could be a real thing. I'm not a completist but I like the idea of that early stuff getting some representation just because of it being the very start of his professional recording career.

But in an ideal world the first boxset would be 1964 - 1968
Yes, indeed. I need to go back and re-read that 'Big Boy' thread because that seemed like an interesting little bit of Michael's story.
I can't remember whether the version on the Jackson's YT is the original recording or if there really is an even earlier version out there in the ether somewhere.

Last edited:
Off The Wall:
Going To Rio
Holiday Inn
A Baby Smiles

Bad:
Buffalo Bill
Crack Kills
Throwing Your Life Away
Chicago 1945

Dangerous:
Deep In The Night
Men In Black
Jane Is A Groupie
Joy

History:
In The Back
Innocent Man
Changes
Earth Song 1988 Demo
Little Susie Off The Wall Demo

Invincible:
Monster
People Of The World
Rampage
Get Your Weight Off Me

Reactions: MJ5
I was the Loser or I am a Loser would be nice to have released. - It's such a great song.

Hope it will be released on the next all new album.

I don't know about anybody else, but I'm tired of buying albums again and again. I've just lost interest. Especially because the sound quality is always so poor.

Also, they can't do it with Dangerous or Invincible because the run time is already 70 minutes, there's literally no space.

Better would be to just release a new disc with loads of demos on it. I don't need another version of Black Or White or Smooth Criminal.

Also, they can't do it with Dangerous or Invincible because the run time is already 70 minutes, there's literally no space.
Does the physical disc limitation matter, especially since all posthumous anniversary releases have their bonus content on an additional disc?

Off the wall
——————
Under your skin (if it was actually recorded)
Sunset driver (79 version)
Little susie (70s version)

Bad
——
Get Around
Chicago 1945
Streetwalker (Quincy mix)
Crack Kills

Dangerous
—————
Man in black
Throwing your life away
Joy
If you don’t love me (shorter version)
She got it
Ghost of another lover
I’ll be there 90 (if it was actually recorded)

History
———
Why solo version (I choose to believe it exists)
2 bad (ghosts version)

Invincible
—————
Angel
Maybe we can do it
This is our time
Pressure
The Pain
Seduction

Plus alternative takes or demos or album tracks

Does the physical disc limitation matter, especially since all posthumous anniversary releases have their bonus content on an additional disc?
But my point is, why buy the album again? Waste of plastic, and harms the environment. Totally unnecessary to keep rereleasing everything as a two-disc set. Just release the "additional" disc as a standalone, Xscape-style.

Last edited:
If we are talking fantasy too I think it would be interesting if they released a compilation of the Jacksons variety songs. The way he sings Just a little bit of you on the variety show is fantastic. It's as if Michael finally got to sing the Motown hits the way he wanted.

For my wish I have a few things in mind!!!

1. A huge Opus book full of notes, drawings, hand written/type lyrics and pictures of Michael in the studio, photos of the tapes and reels that are sitting in the vaults. Stories about Michael’s song writing process and how he was in the studio.

2. A Docu-Series! I’d love to see a multi part documentary (Motown, The Jacksons, Solo Years) of studio heads (the ones that actually worked with Michael) listening and discussing his songs - released and unreleased. The XSCAPE documentary was good and bad at the same time. Great idea just done with the wrong people.

There are songs the estate feel don’t appeal to the masses and aren’t worth anything. Have these guys talk about some of these tracks. See how much they remember. Go over studio notes. Tinker with the multi-tracks. Let them isolate Michaels vocals. Showcase his beatboxing skills. Play work tapes. Play unreleased alternate verses. Everyone is getting up in age and all this stuff should already be documented.

The estate could try to strike a deal with Netflix/Hulu and or with one of the big cable networks like how they did Bad 25.

3. Release a big box set like Ultimate Collection. The linear notes should be detailed. They can throw in songs like Deep In The Night, the alternate version of Smile, Michaels demo of Eaten Alive, Alright Now, Joy, The Toy, the demo to Speed Demon, Make A Wish, an early version of Can’t Let Her Get Away, You’re The One, some unreleased Motown stuff, Victory, the solo version of I Just Can’t Stop Loving You and some of the other original demos that were promised to be on Bad 25.
Mostly everyone is on some sort of streaming app. Let’s say it’s the 50th anniversary of Dangerous they can make a playlist with the original album and gather a bunch of unreleased songs/demos that were worked on during that specific album.

4. Same idea as number 1 and 2 but now an Opus and a documentary on Michael’s Short Films, his performances and his humanitarian efforts!

For my wish I have a few things in mind!!!

1. A huge Opus book full of notes, drawings, hand written/type lyrics and pictures of Michael in the studio, photos of the tapes and reels that are sitting in the vaults. Stories about Michael’s song writing process and how he was in the studio.

2. A Docu-Series! I’d love to see a multi part documentary (Motown, The Jacksons, Solo Years) of studio heads (the ones that actually worked with Michael) listening and discussing his songs - released and unreleased. The XSCAPE documentary was good and bad at the same time. Great idea just done with the wrong people.

There are songs the estate feel don’t appeal to the masses and aren’t worth anything. Have these guys talk about some of these tracks. See how much they remember. Go over studio notes. Tinker with the multi-tracks. Let them isolate Michaels vocals. Showcase his beatboxing skills. Play work tapes. Play unreleased alternate verses. Everyone is getting up in age and all this stuff should already be documented.

The estate could try to strike a deal with Netflix/Hulu and or with one of the big cable networks like how they did Bad 25.

3. Release a big box set like Ultimate Collection. The linear notes should be detailed. They can throw in songs like Deep In The Night, the alternate version of Smile, Michaels demo of Eaten Alive, Alright Now, Joy, The Toy, the demo to Speed Demon, Make A Wish, an early version of Can’t Let Her Get Away, You’re The One, some unreleased Motown stuff, Victory, the solo version of I Just Can’t Stop Loving You and some of the other original demos that were promised to be on Bad 25.
Mostly everyone is on some sort of streaming app. Let’s say it’s the 50th anniversary of Dangerous they can make a playlist with the original album and gather a bunch of unreleased songs/demos that were worked on during that specific album.

4. Same idea as number 1 and 2 but now an Opus and a documentary on Michael’s Short Films, his performances and his humanitarian efforts!
There is a MJ Opus . It might cost you a small fortune now.

There is a MJ Opus . It might cost you a small fortune now.
I know. I have it. But have one specifically about MJ the performer, one about just his short films, one on his humanitarian efforts etc. Doesn’t need to be as big or heavy as the 2009 Opus but just a beautiful detailed coffee table book!

Back