In MJ's later years, could he sing

Mister_Jay_Tee

Proud Member
Donations
$1.00
...in a deeper tone of voice? What was the state of his lower register? I'm talking Post Invincible, Post 2005 really. Would it have made it easier for him if he made an album with no higher register at all?

Damien Shields said that the song Dark Lady is sung on a deep voice for the most part so, that should answer this thread.

And even then the entirety of Best Of Joy shows that he could still achieve that lol
But that’s sung in falsetto. The chest and mixed register usually becomes more limited with age, however, given that he could still belt C#5’s in 2001, I’m sure that wouldn’t be a problem for him 8 years later.

Yeah, high notes are the ones that become harder to reach
I mentioned that in my opening comment.
Would it have made it easier for him if he made an album with no higher register at all?
I say this mainly based on the little evidence we have based on his music of the time, WBSS 2008 vs the original, overall much lower, though not as low as his live performances. For All Time's bridge notes are reasonably low. And Hold my Hand, though that one is really pretty consistent MJ. That just leaves Best of Joy as the outlier, though when he's not singing in falsetto, he still sounds, a lil deeper than The Toy.

Could in the sense of was it feasible as a career choice, not if he was physically capable of it.

Though I did frame it in a clickbait headline kind of way on purpose tbf.
Lol honestly, when I first saw the title, I was about to get angry because "didn't we just have a thread about this???" But then when I clicked I noticed I was baited, and I had a good laugh. 🤣

I don't really have an answer to the question though, unfortunately. Either way I think Michael still sounded amazing at middle age, no matter the register he sang in.

Back