Invasion in Liverpool

MJBrazil21

Proud Member
According to some news I saw on a fan club page, Michael Jackson's concert at Aintree, Liverpool 1988 There was an invasion of over 100,000 people, Initially the concert had an audience of more than 125,000 people, but during the show, There was a huge invasion of the venue by 100,000 fans who hadn't gotten tickets and passed the barrier. The crowd was so big that the police couldn't control it. Is that true, guys?

Can't help you with this. The only thing I can say is, I've read several reports on the Aintree concert in the local Liverpool paper (the Liverpool Echo) and I can't remember any mention of an invasion of 100, 000 fans. I also have vague memories of seeing a tv news report which also did not mention this.

Hopefully someone else can help.

@Blues_Away2023 - am I right in thinking the Aintree concert is one that your Dad attended? Do you remember him telling you tales of a mad invasion? I don't think I've seen anything about this anywhere. šŸ¤”

Can't help you with this. The only thing I can say is, I've read several reports on the Aintree concert in the local Liverpool paper (the Liverpool Echo) and I can't remember any mention of an invasion of 100, 000 fans. I also have vague memories of seeing a tv news report which also did not mention this.

Hopefully someone else can help.

@Blues_Away2023 - am I right in thinking the Aintree concert is one that your Dad attended? Do you remember him telling you tales of a mad invasion? I don't think I've seen anything about this anywhere. šŸ¤”
He doesn't remember there being any invasion, just that there was a a hell of a lot of fans , the attendance figures would confirm that.

I've seen a YouTube video of a news report from the Aintree show and there was no mention at all of an invasion.

I think the op has possibly got it mixed up, maybe the terminology of invasion - just means that there was a massive number of fans who attended. I highly doubt an extra 100,000 fans could sneak in ha

Must have been so magical to have been on the stage that night, seeing one hundred thousand people swaying their lighters during MITM, sighšŸ˜© if we only had video from that concert, what a magic time that must have been. MJ must have been so proud, seeing people all coming together like that, it was his dream after all.
I remember watching Moonwalker for the first time and seeing MJ perform MITM, I will never forget it! Sadly that is the closest I will ever come to being there, it left me speechless the first time I saw it.

It's false.

As someone who lives extremely close to Liverpool, our city has had way too many lies told about "hooliganism" and "unruly crowds" when nothing could be farther from the truth

I think the op has possibly got it mixed up, maybe the terminology of invasion - just means that there was a massive number of fans who attended. I highly doubt an extra 100,000 fans could sneak in ha
I agree. I think something has got a little bit lost in translation. The crowd for Aintree has always been quoted as being approx. 125, 000. It isn't very likely that there would be an extra 100,000 people turning up and it doesn't make the news.

It's false.

As someone who lives extremely close to Liverpool, our city has had way too many lies told about "hooliganism" and "unruly crowds" when nothing could be farther from the truth
I'm not from L'pool but I agree, it gets a bad rap. Constantly. The number of reports in the Liverpool Echo that I've read about Michael's Aintree concert, if there had been any kind of invasion I'd have seen something about it.

Last edited:
I agree. I think something has got a little bit lost in translation. The crowd for Aintree has always been quoted as being approx. 125, 000. It isn't very likely that there would be an extra 100,000 people turning up and it doesn't make the news.

I'm not from L'pool but I agree, it gets a bad rap. Constantly. The number of reports in the Liverpool Echo that I've read about Michael's Aintree concert, if there had been any kind of invasion I'd have seen something about it.
No invasion I was there best day ever

Didn't think there was. Good to have it confirmed. :)

So happy for you.
Such a happy memory, there was no trouble, everyone was buzzing with excitement, Michael joked and took one of the policemans helmet and put it on, he seemed very happy my favourite concert of his by far

Such a happy memory, there was no trouble, everyone was buzzing with excitement, Michael joked and took one of the policemans helmet and put it on, he seemed very happy my favourite concert of his by far
During what song did he put a policeman helmet on? Any more stories from the concert?

I love the amateur audio I heard from Aintree. When the band do the Beatles medley the crowd are singing all the Beatles lyrics. It's so cool. Normally I'm not keen on amateur stuff and I definitely don't want too much crowd noise getting in the way (it's usually people talking) but this was ace. Loved it. They were having so much fun. :)

I love the amateur audio I heard from Aintree. When the band do the Beatles medley the crowd are singing all the Beatles lyrics. It's so cool. Normally I'm not keen on amateur stuff and I definitely don't want too much crowd noise getting in the way (it's usually people talking) but this was ace. Loved it. They were having so much fun. :)
People were hanging out of there bedroom windows, trying to get a glimpse, I live about a 20 minutes drive away from Aintree think I was on a high for days it's all we talked about for weeks happy days
During what song did he put a policeman helmet on? Any more stories from the concert?

People were hanging out of there bedroom windows, trying to get a glimpse, I live about a 20 minutes drive away from Aintree think I was on a high for days it's all we talked about for weeks happy days
I love stories like this. I can picture it, the buzz, the excitement. :D

Back