Is the 2002 Dangerous lowkey the best version of the performance?

PurpleThriller

Proud Member
This may be an unpopular opinion,but I think that the American Bandstand and Apollo Theater performances of 'Dangerous' are among his strongest ones,when it comes to this specific track. I would even go as far as saying that the 2002 Dangerous is a standalone version(of the performance) by itself,being the perfect blend between the intriguing '99 version of the track (when it comes to the intro of the performance,for around the first 40 seconds) and the iconic VMA '95/History Tour version of it (when it comes to the rest of the performance).
What do you think,though? And what would be your favorite version of the song and why?

Many fans seem to like the 'Dangerous' performance at Wetten Dass (1995).

Michael Jackson enjoys that particular performance, he has a lot of energy, his dance moves are accurate, and he wears the 'Dangerous' classic outfit.

Also, that particular performance does not have unnecessary and boring theatrics (such as, the slow intro of the 1999 shows).

I personally love the dangerous performances in 2002, it’s one of my favourites 🤷‍♀️
I feel like it really stands out from some of the other dangerous performances, although I love them all, there might have been one or two missteps and he was out of breath but you have to remember he was 44. Most people would struggle to sing and dance at that intensity, I know for sureeee I would not be able to. The whole performance was really slick to me and it was his last performance so that makes it all the more special. ❤️

Ohh I disagree completely.

The man was breathing out his arse in those 2002 performances. He was out of shape.

93 American music awards followed by 95 mtv awards for me.
This may come as another unpopular opinion (or maybe not at all,I'm not sure),but would I be the only one who doesn't really like the 1993 version of Dangerous?
It looks unfinished(as there are many moments where Michael is either simply just walking,either simply just standing there in one spot without doing any dance moves and just ''singing'' the song or is either simply stuck in one particular spot,doing a single dance move for what would be way too long,at least in my opinion)not to mention that the song also feels overly long (this version has the pre-chorus and the bridge added to it,while the chorus is also being repeated for at least 2 times,if I'm not wrong.I really like the song,but I don't think that so much of it really works that well live,therefore I prefer the later version/s of the performance,where less of the track itself is actually being present) and,nonetheless,this early version is also not as spectacular as the later ones neither,being much less of a spectacle than say VMA's 95 or Mj & Friends '99( at least in my view).

Interesting.To be fair,the 1995 VMA's remains as one of his strongest performances in general I'd say,so maybe my OP was a bit exaggerated,I admit.
What do you think about the '99 version of it,though?
MJ was on fire in 1999, he had some much energy and agility on those 2 nights.

As for the Performance, it's a little bit too stop start for me, but I applaud Mike for trying to keep things fresh.
I think the dances aren't as in sync during the Korea show and another minor thing is, I'm not fond of MJ in the red shirt, it doesn't stand out as well and the material looks cheap

This may come as another unpopular opinion (or maybe not at all,I'm not sure),but would I be the only one who doesn't really like the 1993 version of Dangerous?
It looks unfinished(as there are many moments where Michael is either simply just walking,either simply just standing there in one spot without doing any dance moves and just ''singing'' the song or is either simply stuck in one particular spot,doing a single dance move for what would be way too long,at least in my opinion)not to mention that the song also feels overly long (this version has the pre-chorus and the bridge added to it,while the chorus is also being repeated for at least 2 times,if I'm not wrong.I really like the song,but I don't think that so much of it really works that well live,therefore I prefer the later version/s of the performance,where less of the track itself is actually being present) and,nonetheless,this early version is also not as spectacular as the later ones neither,being much less of a spectacle than say VMA's 95 or Mj & Friends '99( at least in my view).
1993 is my fave. I think it's vastly superior to the later versions. That said, I hardly ever watch those later versions and you make some interesting points here. Maybe I need to revisit those later performances. Do a bit of a comparison. I've never done that.

It frustrates me that the 93 version is so overshadowed by 95. The VMA performance is epic (a term I never use, but very sincerely mean here). But it's because of the entirety of it. Also because of the changes he made to the original 93 performance. But 93 is unreal. There is something extra charismatic about it to me, as compared to all the others.

But to get to the original point of this post, while I don't think 2002 is the BEST of all of them, I think it is fabulous. And his brief struggle breathing at the end does not bother me in the slightest. It's always surprised me how many people seem put off by that.

1993 is my fave. I think it's vastly superior to the later versions. That said, I hardly ever watch those later versions and you make some interesting points here. Maybe I need to revisit those later performances. Do a bit of a comparison. I've never done that.
You definetly need to revisit some of them (since they are indeed spectacular,at least in my view) and I'd recommend the 'Wetten Dass' one from '95,for a start (as MjFrenzy previously mentioned,this particular performance is iconic and rightfully so,I'd say).
But,in the same manner,I may also need to rewatch some 1993 performances as well,since it seems that I may have judged them too harshly,I suppose 🫠

I'm a total outlier. I like the 97' shows. They have the advantage of the staging, it's slightly more refined than 95, And even though they're far less energetic than 95, they are at least less played out.

Soul Trains 95 is also just as good as MTV/Wetten Dass.

Back