JCsMusicology - Michael Jackson (1983 - 1988)

SmoothCriminal1995

Proud Member

This guy does the best documentaries and now he's doing one on my favourite album.

It's fair to say I've been looking forward to this for ages. I'm sure it'll be filled with loads of new info and brilliant breakdowns by John. Enjoy guys

Last edited:

This guy does the best documentaries and now he's doing one of my favourite album.

It's fair to say I've been looking forward to this for ages. I'm sure it'll be filled with loads of new info and brilliant breakdowns by John. Enjoy guys
Do they talk about songs we have no knowledge of? Was C45 a serious contender for the album?

Do they talk about songs we have no knowledge of? Was C45 a serious contender for the album?
Not really other than in mentioning it, along with Buffalo Bill and Tomboy in relation to John Barnes's early work with Michael. I don't think Chicago 1945 was ever considered for Bad, it was probably dropped after Al Capone came along, then Al Capone dropped after Smooth Criminal came into the picture

Ugh. If there's no new info, I'm not going to waste my time.
If you're a fan of the album, I strongly recommend giving it a listen. John does a brilliant job in adding context and chronicling the sequence of events.

Last edited:
Not really other than in mentioning it, along with Buffalo Bill and Tomboy in relation to John Barnes's early work with Michael. I don't Chicago 1945 was ever considered for Bad, it was probably dropped after Al Capone came along, then Al Capone dropped after Smooth Criminal came into the picture

If you're a fan of the album, I strongly recommend giving it a listen. John does a brilliant job in adding context and chronicling the sequence of events.
I agree. I wish he talked more about I'm so Blue, free, abortion papers & don't be messing round. He didn't mention them at all

Were those instrumentals that were played the real instrumentals or were they AI filtered? They sounded way too clean to be AI. I would also love to hear that version of Dirty Diana without the electrical guitar.

Not really other than in mentioning it, along with Buffalo Bill and Tomboy in relation to John Barnes's early work with Michael. I don't Chicago 1945 was ever considered for Bad, it was probably dropped after Al Capone came along, then Al Capone dropped after Smooth Criminal came into the picture. […]
I’ve never really understood this… because to me, it’s obvious that Al Capone is an early version of Smooth Criminal.

John C does Amazing Work yet again!!! He definitely did John Barnes and the Hayvenhurst crew Justice! The bad Album is THEIR ALBUM!!! Once again another fan doing THE ESTATES WORK!!! This is the stuff the estate should be releasing or at least giving their blessing! These are the types of projects they can throw (what they call unreleasable demos/tracks) on! I hope all the crew members that made the initial magic happen at Hayvenhurst and the Westlake crew guys get to enjoy this episode with their families! Thanks Again John C!!

Last edited:
I’ve never really understood this… because to me, it’s obvious that Al Capone is an early version of Smooth Criminal.
Al Capone literally plays for a split second in the 1984 demo of Smooth Criminal

Interesting episode, even though much of the information isn´t exactly new, it's always fascinating to get a new perspective on the songs. All of the interview snippets together with the music brings clarity, because I can't remember everything said in those MJCast interviews, so it's a treasure to have him bind it together so eloquently. It's sad that we don't know more about the creative process of the Bad album 30+ years after it's release, it's all thanks to the fans efforts that we know half as much as we do. I'm also thankful that the MJCast team had an opportunity to interview John Barnes before he passed, but the same time I wish even more interviews had been done.

John C does Amazing Work yet again!!! He definitely did John Barnes and the Hayvenhurst crew Justice! The bad Album is THEIR ALBUM!!! Once again another fan doing THE ESTATES WORK!!! This is the stuff the estate should be releasing or at least giving their blessing! I hope the Crew that made the magic happen and all the participants families all get to listen to this episode! Thanks Again John C!!
The estates job isn't making a documentary every few years
not saying it is! But they have ALL the resources to create and release beautiful projects the same way fans do!

Is it me or we're hearing other versions of Liberian girl and dirty Diana. ? There's unreleased ad-libs and all
I thought so too, I've only listened to it once driving home from work (so I could be mistaken) but are they the fade outs turned up? Or from the 7 inch editions. They definitely felt new

This is my favourite episode of Musicology, John always does a great job but this was fantastic

I thought so too, I've only listened to it once driving home from work (so I could be mistaken) but are they the fade outs turned up? Or from the 7 inch editions. They definitely felt new

This is my favourite episode of Musicology, John always does a great job but this was fantastic
Yea I've heard these songs a million times before and I noticed immediately that it's not the same vocals on Liberian girl here and on the album version. I wonder if it's the 83-84 version

I listened to the first 45 minutes or so. While it isn’t bursting with new information, it does what every great documentary should do: present a detailed exploration of facts for newcomers. I’d sooner use this as a reference than Bad 25. Just because it isn’t necessarily “beneficial” for us hardcore fans doesn’t mean it doesn’t play a very, very necessary role. Expert job, John!

I listened to the first 45 minutes or so. While it isn’t bursting with new information, it does what every great documentary should do: present a detailed exploration of facts for newcomers. I’d sooner use this as a reference than Bad 25. Just because it isn’t necessarily “beneficial” for us hardcore fans doesn’t mean it doesn’t play a very, very necessary role. Expert job, John!
I bet you can't spend a day without bashing Bad 25 or concert releases.

Was it previously mentioned somewhere else that it was Chris Currell who created the four bar intro to BAD? This was new to me.

Thanks @JohnC for this episode.
Do you mean the one bar, with the horn stabs? “Four bar intro” doesn’t make sense in regards to the released versions, since the main theme starts with the second bar.

Back