Let's end the confusion about MJ's unreleased tracks here

Honestly, I wish Michael had only worked with his old collaborators Michael Prince and Brad Buxer, as he got older.
To me it seems like the gem of the 2000's comes from their sessions. I don't think I'd like the songs from Neff-U's sessions very much but I Am A Loser, D.I.G, Rocker, Adore You, Best Of Joy, Boy No and Just Remember are songs that have a lot of potential/are said to have potential. I can only hope we get to hear the unleaked songs someday.

I wanna hear it all before I decide what's good and bad. I'm just glad MJ stayed in the game. Imagine he just started re-recording his old songs, or making cover songs like Branca suggested. Which maybe isn't actually an awful idea but if we had gotten that instead of Bad?

As MJ got older, he should have stuck to his sound and made music with his long time collaborators instead of chasing commercial success with collaborating with the young producers. I think that was one of the big issues with Invincible, in particular the Rodney Jerkins tracks.

As MJ got older, he should have stuck to his sound and made music with his long time collaborators instead of chasing commercial success with collaborating with the young producers. I think that was one of the big issues with Invincible, in particular the Rodney Jerkins tracks.
But MJ didn't have a sound, literally his entire career is as versatile as can be. Is Billie Jean his sound, or is Beat It? Or is it Dangerous? You Rock My World was supposed to be a throwback right? To Off The Wall? Is that his sound? You Are Not Alone was his last #1, that's just R.Kelly through and through. Why did that song get more success than Stranger in Moscow?

Does a song like "Don't be Messing 'Round" even sound like traditional MJ? Or Throwing Your Life Away? Isn't The Way You Love Me just a Beach Boys homage? Isn't Behind The Mask just Yellow Magic Orchestra with his vocals on top? Even in the outtakes we hear way more variation and changes.

I just don't ever understand what people mean when they say "Michael Jackson" sound. Any song he sings on, saying hee-hee, that's basically his sound. No matter if it's late 70s, early 80s, late 80s, early 90s. He was eclectic, and that's why I like him. He's his own genre.

Sorry to go off on this rant on you. I would never fight you.

But MJ didn't have a sound, literally his entire career is as versatile as can be. Is Billie Jean his sound, or is Beat It? Or is it Dangerous? You Rock My World was supposed to be a throwback right? To Off The Wall? Is that his sound? You Are Not Alone was his last #1, that's just R.Kelly through and through. Why did that song get more success than Stranger in Moscow?

Does a song like "Don't be Messing 'Round" even sound like traditional MJ? Or Throwing Your Life Away? Isn't The Way You Love Me just a Beach Boys homage? Isn't Behind The Mask just Yellow Magic Orchestra with his vocals on top? Even in the outtakes we hear way more variation and changes.

I just don't ever understand what people mean when they say "Michael Jackson" sound. Any song he sings on, saying hee-hee, that's basically his sound. No matter if it's late 70s, early 80s, late 80s, early 90s. He was eclectic, and that's why I like him. He's his own genre.

Sorry to go off on this rant on you. I would never fight you.
EXCELLENT observations.

I completely disagree with the notion that MJ should’ve stuck to a certain sound. He recruited popular producers for Dangerous and HIStory without issue, but since Invincible was imperfect, somehow doing so becomes a negative. When an artist starts resting on their laurels and doing the same thing over and over again, that (to me) dilutes their catalog. Even if I don’t like the end result, I love that MJ consistently tried new things.

EXCELLENT observations.

I completely disagree with the notion that MJ should’ve stuck to a certain sound. He recruited popular producers for Dangerous and HIStory without issue, but since Invincible was imperfect, somehow doing so becomes a negative. When an artist starts resting on their laurels and doing the same thing over and over again, that (to me) dilutes their catalog. Even if I don’t like the end result, I love that MJ consistently tried new things.
Now, see, on the other hand, MJ did try new things, in his own compositions and writing, and that was great. It was great hearing MJ experiment with crazy new music. Even songs like 'What a Lovely Way to Go", super eclectic, but a total one off. And people hated it lol. But I digress.

MJ tried new things with other people too, which was fine. He was not Prince and did not do it all by himself. And that approach didn't always work for Prince either; even at the end, he became a bit too self-referential for my liking. Certain albums had stronger bases than others. (I do love 2000s Prince quite a lot, more than most people actually.)

And now to convert this thread into "Invincible bad"

The biggest point against MJ and Invincible was that his heart wasn't in it, the album was, TOO LONG, and not sequenced well. And Rodney Jerkins just wasn't the hippest cat in the world. Pharrell and The Neptune's were the earliest trailblazers, JT's album is way, way fresher. MJ deserved those songs. And then Kanye came along, and Timbaland was there the whole time, really in his prime, he was at his peak then. Rodney was best in the mid-late 90s with Brandy. Even she stopped working with Darkchild in the 2000s. And the 90s was the exact time MJ was, pretty much just using Dangerous outtakes. So, idk. If it was up to me, I wouldn't have brought Teddy or R.Kelly back either. Cry was a mediocre song, and I can take or leave everything from TR except Whatever Happens. Which really isn't his song anyway.

There's pretty much nothing from the HIStory sessions unfortunately. It'd be a nice alternative if the Estate released the demos of the songs on HIStory on a re-issue with a couple of extra outtakes like Innocent Man and Changes.

There's pretty much nothing from the HIStory sessions unfortunately. It'd be a nice alternative if the Estate released the demos of the songs on HIStory on a re-issue with a couple of extra outtakes like Innocent Man and Changes.
Michael McKiller

Do we have any more info about Hot Fever and/or Deep in the Night (Might have asked about that 1)?
Hot Fever was actually more than just the instrumental of TWYMMF. It was also the working title for the song in general. On the multitrack sheet used in the studio, the song is also titled Hot Fever, although by that point it had lyrics.

I just mean what's the lyrics. I have bad English i wonder how what he meant about them if they are like family things or no
There are no lyrics, Michael is randomly singing stuff without meaning just to get a feel of the melody and direction he was going to take the vocals in. Which in other words means "scratch" vocals. This is for songs like rocker and dark lady. It is possible both choruses are in a more advanced state.
Remember what I told you holds similarities with speechless wether that is through lyrical resemblance or song structure I don't know. It is supposed to be halfway completed.
Boy No I have no single idea about.

There are no lyrics, Michael is randomly singing stuff without meaning just to get a feel of the melody and direction he was going to take the vocals in. Which in other words means "scratch" vocals. This is for songs like rocker and dark lady. It is possible both choruses are in a more advanced state.
Remember what I told you holds similarities with speechless wether that is through lyrical resemblance or song structure I don't know. It is supposed to be halfway completed.
Boy No I have no single idea about.
But there is song he said 2 verse 2 chords i will show u

Hot Fever was actually more than just the instrumental of TWYMMF. It was also the working title for the song in general. On the multitrack sheet used in the studio, the song is also titled Hot Fever, although by that point it had lyrics.
Right, that's my understanding. Just wanted to make sure that that was actual canon, and not fan conjecture. Would be very interested in hearing it one day.

Right, that's my understanding. Just wanted to make sure that that was actual canon, and not fan conjecture. Would be very interested in hearing it one day.
Yeah, I believe someone (Brad Sundberg?) said during a seminar that it was called “Hot Fever” while the music was being developed, and it became “The Way You Make Me Feel” when MJ started/finished the lyrics. Someone once posted a photo of a rough demo tape online and the song was titled “Hot Fever (The Way You Make Me Feel).”

Yeah, I believe someone (Brad Sundberg?) said during a seminar that it was called “Hot Fever” while the music was being developed, and it became “The Way You Make Me Feel” when MJ started/finished the lyrics. Someone once posted a photo of a rough demo tape online and the song was titled “Hot Fever (The Way You Make Me Feel).”
That's good to know. Also really interesting since the song played in the opening of the video Is "Hot" by Roy Ayers.

So there's nothing more to it?
The way MJ created demo's you should expect at least some main vocals of 'Deep In The Night' exist, even if it's of the mumbling kind..?
Not sure, there's other demos like Monster that only have chorus vocals so it's possible he just recorded those and there's nothing else though.

Back