Michael Jackson signing session 2001, your fave moments?

filmandmusic

Proud Member
I watch this every now and then to look at the people's reaction when meeting their idol. You got any particular fave encounters here? Maybe someone from this forum was there?

I love the girl that shyly asks Michael to marry her
Also Michael's genuine reaction when the mentally challenged girl (sorry if I word this wrong, it is not my intention to be rude) tells him she loves him
another great moment is the mother who almost can't contain her excitement when she takes a picture of her kid (in MJ clothes) and Michael

Sorry I don't have timestamps, though there are a couple of good ones in the comments.

I remember when the signing event was happening, I was so jealous I wanted to be there so bad. I love that too, the “bye! See you at the wedding!” So cute. I love when a fan is crying and he asks “you ok? What’s your name?” It’s so perfectly sweet. And of course him asking the girl about her belly piercing and MJ’s bodyguard says “do I see something sticking out” “you nasty 😝

I remember when the signing event was happening, I was so jealous I wanted to be there so bad. I love that too, the “bye! See you at the wedding!” So cute. I love when a fan is crying and he asks “you ok? What’s your name?” It’s so perfectly sweet. And of course him asking the girl about her belly piercing and MJ’s bodyguard says “do I see something sticking out” “you nasty 😝
That signing event was so cute lol, I laughed so hard about the belly piercing comment 😂

I was there, oh gosh so many memories.

We slept outside Virgin Megastore the night before and it was so cold.

Only the first 500 people in the queue were allowed in.

They gave out numbered tickets about an hour before the store opened.

When we were allowed in, it was just to buy the album and get the lanyard. They wrote the number of the ticket on the lanyard pass and on the till receipt of the album. Everyone then went back out onto the street.

We brought our sleeping bags back to our hotel, went for some food and then joined the queue to get into the shop.

That signing event looked a bit weird.

Michael Jackson, the megastar, sat down and signed copies of his newly-released studio album.

Actually, this is a move that newbies normally do, not already established artists like Michael Jackson.

And there is also another thing: when you are Michael Jackson, you have to remain an unapproachable artist even to your own fans, otherwise you ruin the mystery that surrounds you.

Michael Jackson, the megastar, sat down and signed copies of his newly-released studio album.
Actually, this is a move that newbies normally do, not already established artists like Michael Jackson.
There is no rule book, you do what you want to do
And there is also another thing: when you are Michael Jackson, you have to remain an unapproachable artist even to your own fans, otherwise you ruin the mystery that surrounds you.
I don’t agree, the mystery worked early on in his career but this new approach was more humble and out of the box for MJ. I think it was a cool decision. It was the right time for it, in the 80s people probably could not be contained lol

That signing event looked a bit weird.

You are very very wrong.

It was not weird. The cd signing was held about 6 weeks after September 11. I was at the concerts and returned for the cd signing. This thing about being unapproachable is pure crap. Michael was VERY VERY approachable to fans. He wanted to have close contact with the fans. He was VERY involved with the European fan clubs.

Crap like this makes my blood boil because its projecting a fantasy image of what you want him to be instead of the real person he was.

This is one of the reasons I become low profile in the fan community. New to the community fans projecting their fantasy image which then becomes popular opinion, while first hand experiences from people who were part of the fan community when Michael was alive are dismissed.
I understand that and empathise with you. However, I must say such stories and memories are so interesting and nice to read. It truly makes one feel as if one is there. Please don’t stop sharing!

There is no rule book, you do what you want to do

I don’t agree, the mystery worked early on in his career but this new approach was more humble and out of the box for MJ. I think it was a cool decision. It was the right time for it, in the 80s people probably could not be contained lol
Michael Jackson in his earlier, adult career intentionally created an air of mystery around him, and he wanted to be perceived as an enigmatic, mysterious and unapproachable artist.

That mystique that surrounded him actually worked a lot during those years, for example, in the era between the 'Thriller' album and the 'BAD' album.

But when later he started becoming more approachable, more open, more humble and more ordinary (like, in that Virgin Megastore signing event, in the 45th Birthday Party 2003, etc), then this behaviour automatically contradicted and thus cancelled his earlier, mysterious public image that proved to be very effective.

The example of the American singer Elvis Presley is very telling.

Part of his huge success was also because Elvis Presley managed to remain for his whole life a rather mysterious, unreachable and unapproachable artist even to his own fans.

Michael Jackson in his earlier, adult career intentionally created an air of mystery around him, and he wanted to be perceived as an enigmatic, mysterious and as an unapproachable artist.

That mystique around him actually worked a lot during those years, for example, in the era between the 'Thriller' album and the 'BAD' album.

But when later he started trying to become more approachable, more open, more humble and more ordinary (like, in that Virgin Megastore signing event, in the 45th Birthday Party 2003, etc), then this behaviour automatically contradicted and thus cancelled his earlier, mysterious public image that proved to be very effective.

Part of his huge success was also because Elvis Presley managed to remain for his whole life a rather mysterious, unreachable and unapproachable artist even to his own fans.

You are so full of crap, just stop, you were not there, you do not know. just SHUT THE HELL UP

Michael Jackson in his earlier, adult career intentionally created an air of mystery around him, and he wanted to be perceived as an enigmatic, mysterious and unapproachable artist.

That mystique that surrounded him actually worked a lot during those years, for example, in the era between the 'Thriller' album and the 'BAD' album.

But when later he started becoming more approachable, more open, more humble and more ordinary (like, in that Virgin Megastore signing event, in the 45th Birthday Party 2003, etc), then this behaviour automatically contradicted and thus cancelled his earlier, mysterious public image that proved to be very effective.

Indeed, Michael Jackson had this enigmatic outworldly aura in the 80s, but it all ended with the Oprah interview. MJ finally sat down and spoke for over an hour. However, even after the interview, MJ remained iconic.

Moonstreet, no need to be rude, I was around in the 80s and witnessed all the Michaelmania back then.

Here's one of the promotional videos broadcast back in the end of the 80s, if this is not a video of an outworldly icon I don't know what it is:

You are so full of crap, just stop, you were not there, you do not know. just SHUT THE HELL UP
@Moonstreet, you start exhibiting the same, rude and disrespectful behaviour like when you did few years ago in the now-defunct MaxJax: HIStory Continues fan forum.

In the MaxJax: HIStory Continues fan forum, you even started creating hateful threads not towards me but towards other specific members of that fan forum, just because you disagreed with them about certain aspects of Michael Jackson's life and career.

This can be easily confirmed also by members here who used to be also members of that fan forum (such as, @AlwaysThere, @SmoothGangsta).

Needless to say, I just reported your rude and disrespectful post.

This is one of the reasons I become low profile in the fan community. New to the community fans projecting their fantasy image which then becomes popular opinion, while first hand experiences from people who were part of the fan community when Michael was alive are dismissed.
This is why we need people like you! Thank you for sharing your stories. 😊

Back