Michael’s most heartbreaking ballads

filmandmusic

Proud Member
I love his ballads both the romantic and sad ones but I want to highlight the sad ones specifically here. I think in those songs listed below he sounds so vulnerable, like crystal waiting to break. I love his use of melodramatic strings which for many is too schmalzy but what is more beautiful sounding than a swelling string piece in combination with Michael’s soft voice might I ask?

Scared of the moon and little susie could be companion pieces, be not always is pure defeatism, push me away, SOOML and TWFNO and SPYHO are pure desperation and smile and someone in the dark while sad just offer a much needed glimmer of hope in dark times.

Scared of the moon
someone in the dark
she’s out of my life
smile
gone too soon
childhood
little susie
Time waits for no one
push me away
be not always
Someone put your hand out

Someone In The Dark, his vocals on that are glorious and the control is otherworldly. The small quiver before "oh I believe that you and I" is heartbreaking

Gone Too Soon, his vocals on that tell such a bittersweet tale. Joy knowing the person gone was here with you and agonising knowing they've departed. Such a poignant vocal

Someone Put Your Hand Out, is so honest and raw. The longing in his voice when he sings "I'm just needing that someone, to save me now' the lyrics on this are wonderful but his voice shines through.

Michael is the best singer I've ever heard in my life for conveying powerful emotions

Carousel is heartbreaking for me. I'm ready to fight whoever left him at that Carousel every time I hear that song 😂

Little Susie kills me. I was 11 when HIStory came out and I used to be scared to listen to it and used to skip it. Absolutely gorgeous and completely haunting.

I love his ballads both the romantic and sad ones but I want to highlight the sad ones specifically here. I think in those songs listed below he sounds so vulnerable, like crystal waiting to break. [ ... ]
f&m, this is one of the most accurate and also one of the loveliest things you've ever written about Michael's music. It's beautiful but it's also got me thinking ...

💔 ✨ 😲 (y)

Last edited:
Back