MJ doing the James Brown split (no video just a question)

filmandmusic

Proud Member
Why did Michael not do it more? He used to do it as a child and I have seen him doing it as late as the mid 70s at least once. Maybe I even saw him do one in 1977 Jacksons variety show (not sure).
I also remember an interview from 1974 where the interviewer asked Michael why he isn’t doing the dancing anymore he did in the very beginning of his career. Michael replied that he still danced a lot. I’m not sure what the interviewer meant because there is so little footage of very early Michael but apprently he danced his socks off then. I guess that video of the Motown demo in 1968 or 69 was an MJ we saw a lot more of early on.
Again there is no footage but to me this implies that young Michael danced a lot of free style stuff in the early tours, channeling James Brown or Jackie Wilson.

I have read comments over the years how fans say he perfected his dancing in the 90s especially the JB shuffle but he did all that stuff as early as 9 or 10 years old and many people don’t even realize this.

I have absolute no idea, but I feel like Michael loved routine too much. He seemed to be inspired by certain moves and wanted to make them his own, doing it perfectly. It makes sense to me he didn't really do more stuff outside "his routine", even tho personally, I wish he would have done it more.

Back