MJ made the #1 BLM protest song before BLM was even a thing.

Ms. BlueGangsta

Proud Member
So, I was on Twitter today and because of recent events I noticed that A LOT of people were talking about They don't really Care About Us and how relevant it is today.
MJ was always way ahead of his time, was never scared to speak up about anything, and as a result his music is still being used to make a very important social statement.
I'm so proud of MJ, everything that he has accomplished, and how large his impact and influence is. :D
So without further ado, here are the videos (along with the song) that are being talked about. :yes:

In the months following the shooting of Michael Brown and all the other police shootings that have occurred since then, I thought of this song and immediately realized "whoa, this is still relevant today". It might actually be more relevant now than it was twenty years ago. It would be interesting to see what Michael's thoughts are on the BLM movement.

In the months following the shooting of Michael Brown and all the other police shootings that have occurred since then, I thought of this song and immediately realized "whoa, this is still relevant today". It might actually be more relevant now than it was twenty years ago. It would be interesting to see what Michael's thoughts are on the BLM movement.
My honest and sad opinion of how things would've went if MJ were here to witness everything that's going on now is that he himself would've tried to be a great leader for BLM, but the media would've started another smear campaign on how he was a "self hater" to turn BLM against him, he would be heavily ridiculed, and as a result he would no longer publically support BLM and instead would just donate money to the cause from behind the scenes. :/

Yeah, it's cool how socially relevant he still is 20 years on (and it wasn't even THAT big of a song I don't think? Mainly because of the "anti-semitism" crap) but I think we can all agree we wish it wasn't relevant anymore. I do remember in... 2014? I was on tumblr and I saw an audio post of this song, and the notes on it were going up in the thousands every few minutes. Was super cool.

I do have a problem with this post though, mainly the way you've worded your title. BLM has always existed in some form or another over the past half century and protest groups in support of racial equality were a thing before MJ even sang his first note (as I imagine you know). Sadly police brutality against blacks isn't anything new either; was quite a problem in the 1990s too and no doubt influenced Michael during the development and production of this song.

Honestly though, I've been reading the headlines these past few hours/days and I can't help but shake my head. Restrained black man shot point blank range, officers shot and killed at protests. This shit needs to stop. And honestly with the concept of racism, I can't even grasp the concept of hating someone solely because of their skin colour. I live in a society full of multiple cultures, religions and races, I think of my many friends and co-workers and the idea of someone hating them solely because of their skin colour infuriates me to no end. Many of those people are some of the most amazing people I have ever met, how you can hate someone you don't know for something as shallow as skin colour all makes zero sense to me. I just wish this would all end.

Last edited:
My honest and sad opinion of how things would've went if MJ were here to witness everything that's going on now is that he himself would've tried to be a great leader for BLM, but the media would've started another smear campaign on how he was a "self hater" to turn BLM against him, he would be heavily ridiculed, and as a result he would no longer publically support BLM and instead would just donate money to the cause from behind the scenes. :/

Nah. Michael would definitely speak out against the police brutality (I'm thinking along the lines of what Beyonce has done the past few days). I don't know if the media would treat him entirely different as to how they're treating other celebrities speaking out though, you'd have your racists and idiots who defend these racist pathetic cops, trying to call him out for supporting "these animals" (uggghhhh) or even trying to call him out on his skin colour ("how can he support blacks if he turned his back on them and bleached his skin!!111") but that'd probably be the extent of it.

No way Michael Jackson would stand down though, we're talking about a guy who was publicly accused of child molestation and then basically gave everyone the middle finger by continuing to host children at his Neverland ranch. He don't give a f*ccckkk, he'd do what he think was right. I don't think he'd be as ridiculed as you're suggesting and even if he was, I don't see him standing down. Man's got thick-as-hell rhinoceros skin and has fought off worser things over the years. Ain't no way he'd stand down from fighting racial equality and if anything, critics trying to shoot him down would just make him more determined to fight.

Last edited:
I do have a problem with this post though, mainly the way you've worded your title. BLM has always existed in some form or another over the past half century and protest groups in support of racial equality were a thing before MJ even sang his first note (as I imagine you know).

Yes I do know, and I know a lot. :yes:
There is nothing wrong with my wording. :no:
Black rights activism and activist have existed LONG before MJ was born, but the BLM movement itself has only existed for a few years and came along quite awhile after MJ made They don't really Care About Us. :yes:

Nah. Michael would definitely speak out against the police brutality (I'm thinking along the lines of what Beyonce has done the past few days). I don't know if the media would treat him entirely different as to how they're treating other celebrities speaking out though, you'd have your racists and idiots who defend these racist pathetic cops, trying to call him out for supporting "these animals" (uggghhhh) or even trying to call him out on his skin colour ("how can he support blacks if he turned his back on them and bleached his skin!!111") but that'd probably be the extent of it.

No way Michael Jackson would stand down though, we're talking about a guy who was publicly accused of child molestation and then basically gave everyone the middle finger by continuing to host children at his Neverland ranch. He don't give a f*ccckkk, he'd do what he think was right. I don't think he'd be as ridiculed as you're suggesting and even if he was, I don't see him standing down. Man's got thick-as-hell rhinoceros skin and has fought off worser things over the years. Ain't no way he'd stand down from fighting racial equality and if anything, critics trying to shoot him down would just make him more determined to fight.

Hm, I guess it all depends on how you look at it.
MJ was an extremely mentally strong person, but when I think about MJ being alive now in 2016 I also think about all of the mess he would have had to deal with leading up to now too. :/

Yes I do know, and I know a lot. :yes:
There is nothing wrong with my wording. :no:
Black rights activism and activist have existed LONG before MJ was born, but the BLM movement itself has only existed for a few years and came along quite awhile after MJ made They don't really Care About Us. :yes:

Depends on how you see BLM I suppose. If you see BLM as it's own individual movement, then I can see how you'd see the song as "before it's time" for evidential reasons. If you see BLM as just another movement/protest group (of which I imagine there were similar ones to different degrees? in the 90s), then I suppose the song isn't ahead of it's time but more so relevant then and sadly relevant now. That's essentially how I see it.

I suppose neither sides are wrong, just different points of view :)

Hm, I guess it all depends on how you look at it.
MJ was an extremely mentally strong person, but when I think about MJ being alive now in 2016 I also think about all of the mess he would have had to deal with leading up to now too. :/

I did have the feeling that post '05 allegations, he was just over pretty much everything. Could you get worse than those allegations though? I believe in America once you proven innocent of a crime, you can't be trialled again for the same crime? (Someone please correct me if I'm wrong). So any of those BS allegations from Robson couldn't happen.

So with that in mind, I don't see racial equality being an issue he'd ignore lightly. I know he'd do something in regards to heightened events over the past few years, but what exactly is the question.

Depends on how you see BLM I suppose. If you see BLM as it's own individual movement, then I can see how you'd see the song as "before it's time" for evidential reasons. If you see BLM as just another movement/protest group (of which I imagine there were similar ones to different degrees? in the 90s), then I suppose the song isn't ahead of it's time but more so relevant then and sadly relevant now. That's essentially how I see it.

I suppose neither sides are wrong, just different points of view :)

You're exactly right.
I personally can't see the BLM movement the same way as the abolitionist movement, or the fight for desegregation.
However, I do believe that new movements smartly borrow from and are created from old ones, but I myself don't consider it an evolution and instead the creation of a new movement entirely. :yes:

You're exactly right.
I personally can't see the BLM movement the same way as the abolitionist movement, or the fight for desegregation.
However, I do believe that new movements smartly borrow from and are created from old ones, but I myself don't consider it an evolution and instead the creation of a new movement entirely. :yes:

I get your point better when you put it that way! The way I personally see it is that all the movements are essentially demanding racial equality at the end of the day, so that's sort of why I "clump" them together so to speak! (but I can recognise their differences ofc).

I often wonder that too.
When MJ was passionate about something he put his all into it, so whatever it would've been I know it would've been pretty big.

I wonder if he'd do something film related, he always wanted to get more into film. If he slowed down on the music making after TII (not that I believe he'd ever stop making music entirely, it's in his DNA! :p), it could be enough to get him to record another racial equality song with another huge artist, do another record-breaking short film. Insane how he'd still have to be doing this decades after TDCAU though.

I get your point better when you put it that way! The way I personally see it is that all the movements are essentially demanding racial equality at the end of the day, so that's sort of why I "clump" them together so to speak! (but I can recognise their differences ofc).

I wonder if he'd do something film related, he always wanted to get more into film. If he slowed down on the music making after TII (not that I believe he'd ever stop making music entirely, it's in his DNA! :p), it could be enough to get him to record another racial equality song with another huge artist, do another record-breaking short film. Insane how he'd still have to be doing this decades after TDCAU though.

I do believe he would've gotten into making long full length films (all of which he would've made his own soundtracks for LOL).
My personal ( and admittedly biased) first choice for the person that he would record a racial equality song with would be with his own lil sis Janet.
As for another record breaking short film, I know he still had it in him.
Look at how many tickets he sold for the This Is It concerts, and after not having toured for quite some time.
The concerts were also a residency, which meant that people would've been traveling from near and far just to see him.
His popularity hadn't waned at all, and I'm sure that in 2016 things would be no different. :yes:

I have been listening to the History album in it's entirety a couple of times now and it just conveys the frustration and rage that I feel. Especially with songs like, Scream, Tabloid Junkie, TDCAU and Stranger In Moscow.

I have been listening to the History album in it's entirety a couple of times now and it just conveys the frustration and rage that I feel. Especially with songs like, Scream, Tabloid Junkie, TDCAU and Stranger In Moscow.

MJ was always very aware of the evil in this world, he was angry about it, and he was never afraid to say what he wanted to say.
That's why I think that the imagery and lyrics of TDCAU are really hitting home for a lot of people right now.
MJ wasn't just an entertainer he was an activist that fought for the things he believed in through his very powerful music, and right now although he's physically gone he's still fighting for black rights with songs like TDCAU. :)

MJ wanted world peace, but he also knew that black people in particular dealt with a lot of injustice (he himself experienced racial injustice), and as a result he was/is a very pro-black artist, which is something that I'm very proud of. :yes:

Back