MJ stripped back performances

But by doing an intimate show it would have really been a platform for MJ to show off his vocal talent.

He had a beautiful singing voice (when not out of breath)

We all loved watching the leaked footage of him recording childhood and how perfect his voice was. It would have been amazing to hear him just sing. No smoke and mirrors and no dance routines.
Exactly so. It's not about wanting him to leave behind his showmanship and the glitz and spectacle that he seems to love so much. It's just an opportunity to see another aspect of Michael as a performer which he never really properly showed off, imo. Not in his adult solo career.

(btw, I often talk about Michael in the present tense. I have no idea why. I know he's no longer here)

A one off show would have been brilliant.
It would. Personally, my fantasy involves a series of shows. Not too many bc I don't want him to get exhausted but I definitely want him to do more than one. In the real world, ofc I would have settled for just one show of this type. Besides, if he had done a show like this, I can't believe he wouldn't have enjoyed it. That might have prompted him to try it again. :)

Anyone who wouldn't want MJ singing Stranger In Moscow completely live in this type of setting is bonkers
The very first HWT clip I ever watched was SIM. I couldn't even get to the end of the song. I was so disappointed. I didn't know about the miming. I love Michael but that was a low moment. Happily, I have since discovered BWT 1987 so it's all good.

MJs entire early career was stripped back, live performances. Like @filmandmusic said, all the J5 and Solo Motown stuff.

What people are asking for is MJ in his most visually iconic era of time to do nothing but stand there doing what he did when he was 15. Just because they only listen to his most iconic stuff.

Conversely it's not like we're asking for Beat It stripped down or Thriller stripped down. Everybody realizes how that ruins the point of most of MJs adult catalogue? They want Stranger in Moscow without lip sync, and Earth Song without lip sync.

God forbid he decided to do stripped down Invincible. Some people's heads would explode.

Back