MJ's work ethic

Hot_Street

Proud Member
We know he worked very hard in his youth. He wrote Working Day and Night for Off the Wall. He said to Oprah, he was married to his work.
What else do we know about Michael and his work?

Michael Jackson also used to describe himself as workaholic (i.e., obsessed with working to an unhealthy degree).

According to his own words, he also wanted to work like there was no tomorrow in order to cultivate his talent to the highest degree.

He was obsessed with beating all records (album sales, concert attendance, ratings, etc.). He was completely dedicated to that end. The handwritten note he wrote when he was in his youth:

"MJ will be my new name. No more Michael Jackson. I want a whole new character, a whole new look. I should be a tottally [sic] different person. People should never think of me as the kid who sang "ABC," [or] "I Want You Back." I should be a new, incredible actor/singer/dancer that will shock the world. I will do no interviews. I will be magic. I will be a perfectionist, a researcher, a trainer, a masterer [sic]. I will be better than every great actor roped into one."

He stressed himself too much, he obviously was too strict to himself. In my opinion that wasn't really good

I don't think the word "obsessed" even begins to describe Michael's nearly-insane devotion to his craft. I mean, when you write 300 songs for one album, and only 10 or 12 make the final cut...you are seriously pushing yourself way too much. There's working hard, being dedicated, and then needing professional intervention. In some cases, I think Michael definitely fell into that third category.

after the TII rehearsals Michael worked on music late at night

What Prince Jackson had to say about whats in the vault is interesting. A lot of whats there is layers of snippets and beatboxing of him layering songs.

Back