MY analysis of The Great Gatsby

miss rose

Proud Member
Okay, you know how people are always saying that Daisy is terrible for leaving Gatsby? Alright i watched the movie and here is what i sense about what could possibly be going through her mind.

Thom Buchanan is violent, mean, a bully and a bigot. Gatsby expects Daisy to tell Thom that she does not love him. Now, here's the thing. Daisy goes ahead and admits that she hardly ever loved Thom. Thom now tries to defend himself by denying how Daisy feels. He now starts to go on one of his bullying rants with Gatsby, by taunting him in whatever way he can. Daisy, knows Thom all too well and has been down this road with him before. So, being mature and strong, she tells Gatsby to ignore and just call it quits while they're both ahead. BUT, Gatsby doesn't do that, instead he needlessly chooses to take Thom on. He argues with Thom, but Mr. Buchanan manages to expose Gatsby's real life story.

Finally, Thom gets through with totally exposing and humiliating Gatsby in front of Daisy. Here is where Daisy changes her mind about Gatsby. Gatsby is basically a moffia /gangster sort of man. He did not acquire his riches the honest way. Daisy has already had her full share of being with Thom, he turns out to be rotten. What is to stop Gatsby from being the same? What if he start to bully her? He's not even really rich and can never help her move away from Thom, because they'll live right next to him. She knows what Thom is like already. Better to stay with the lesser of the two evils, instead of find that she is with a worst person. She feels less let down around Thom. Gatsby would let her down too much, and Thom wouldn't take her back plus there is her little girl to think of.

What do you guys think?

Last edited:
Back