Rank the tours MJ participated in.

filmandmusic

Proud Member
So the whole victory tour hate went to my head and there it exploded. I’m currently picking up pieces of my already fried brain, I hope I can restore it to its brilliant self one day. What could help me is to make a thread about it, about MJ touring in general.
My question is if you were to rank the tours which ones you would like to see the most? I can’t ask for the quailty of the tours because we have almost seen none of these so this is purely based on how hyped you are to prefer one tour over another.
Maybe this thread can redeem some of you 😜

My picks From top to bottom, from super excited to see them to least excited.

1 First national tour, second national tour and European tour - J5 ( vocal brilliance as judged from the The Forum live disc) 1970-1972
2 Destiny tour - Triumph Tour (adult MJ peak performing and voice in perfect condition, diverse changing setlists or so it seems) 1979-1981
3 concerts from 1976-1978 ( a big large unknown, but adult MJ, probably great vocals and likely really interesting setlists, presumably these tours were called goin places and the Jacksons )
4 Victory tour (end of peak live Michael, boring setlist but awesome thriller song performances) 1984
5 tours from 1973 to 1975 (interesting setlists but Michael vocally maybe not always up to point with his changing voice)
6 Bad tour (already seen this in decent quality but a second leg concert in America would be cool to see if only for TWYMMF and SC being live)

7 Dangerous tour (already seen this, vocally messy, bloated theatrical, generally not a fan of the updated dance moves)
8 MSG concerts (already seen, at least partially live but so bad, MJ seemed sleepy and sloppy vocally and in terms of dancing)
9 History tour (already seen this, worst tour in the history of music)

I fear “this is it“ could have ranked even lower than HIStory tour….

Last edited:
So the whole victory tour hate went to my head and there it exploded. I’m currently picking up pieces of my already fried brain, I hope I can restore it to its brilliant self one day. What could help me is to make a thread about it, about MJ touring in general.
My question is if you were to rank the tours which ones you would like to see the most? I can’t ask for the quailty of the tours because we have almost seen none of these so this is purely based on how hyped you are to prefer one tour over another.
Maybe this thread can redeem some of you 😜

My picks From top to bottom, from super excited to see them to least excited.
this is the list from what I want to see the most to the least:
Bad World Tour
Destiny Tours
TriumphTour
VictoryTour
Dangerous WorldTour
HIStory World Tour
the jackson 5 concerts
11 History tour (already seen this, worst tour in the history of music)
the problem with the HIStory world tour is that it is more visual, for example it is more pleasant to listen to a victory tour, one of the best vocal moments of MJ, but the HIStory world tour is better visually, better effects, choreography, setlist etc. That's my opinion,

Firsly I'll say - I think TII could have been absolutely amazing. The band was superp, the stage was great, the selection of songs boring and the same as usual, but since it was a greatest hits tour it still makes sense...

My list would be something like this:

1. Bad - a concert from 1987, 1988 and 1989 would be an epic BAD tour boxset.
2. Triumph
3. Victory
4. Destiny
5. Dangerous concert from 1992 we haven't seen.
6. A concert from J5 - no matter which really
7. HIStory - NOT Munich. I would like an early concert, maybe 1996 we haven't seen before
8. 30th Anniversary - with the live vocals.

@Hess edit 1: yes, that's a typo! I'll correct it.
edit 2: Oh I read what I wrote again, I meant in general the thriller album performances were great. So I'll leave it as it is lol

Bad Tour (2nd Leg Early 88 US)
Triumph Tour
Victory Tour
Bad Tour (1st Leg 1987 Setlist)
Destiny Tour (2nd Leg)
Brunei 1996
Dangerous Tour (Earliest Setlist)
HIStory Tour (Earliest Setlist)
30th Anniversary Shows

9 History tour (already seen this, worst tour in the history of music)
Despite its drawbacks, the 'HIStory' tour cannot be called the worst tour in the history of music.

For example, the 'HIStory' tour (the 1997 leg) was described as one of the most important musical events of that year.

Also, according to many of his fans, Michael Jackson reached his zenith as a dancer during the 'HIStory' tour.

Additionally, the 'HIStory' tour has been described as a musically improved tour (in terms of production, sound, instrumentation) compared to his previous tours.

More over, the 'HIStory' tour can be considered not only his most complete tour (in terms of set list), but also a fair tour to the 'HIStory' album because the tour actually promoted that album (by having 6-7 songs from that album in its set list).

Firsly I'll say - I think TII could have been absolutely amazing. The band was superp, the stage was great, the selection of songs boring and the same as usual, but since it was a greatest hits tour it still makes sense...
The 'This Is It' concerts were a downgrade for Michael Jackson, given the fact that all of them were meant to take place at one location only.

And that location was just an indoor arena, rather than those big, outdoor stadiums in which he used to give his concerts.

The 'This Is It' concerts were a downgrade for Michael Jackson, given the fact that all of them were meant to take place at one location only.

And that location was just an indoor arena, rather than those big, outdoor stadiums in which he used to give his concerts.
The ‘This Is It’ residency, which would have become a world tour after the last date at the O2, was in no way a downgrade. It would have been the first time an artist had sold out the O2 arena for 50 shows, a Guiness World Record! Something which no one had and has been able to achieve.

Additionally, the tour would have continued all around the world and would have most definitely broken tons of other records, considering the absolutely incredible start it would have had in London.

The ‘This Is It’ residency, which would have become a world tour after the last date at the O2, was in no way a downgrade. It would have been the first time an artist had sold out the O2 arena for 50 shows, a Guiness World Record! Something which no one had and has been able to achieve.

Additionally, the tour would have continued all around the world and would have most definitely broken tons of other records, considering the absolutely incredible start it would have had in London.
Theoretically… From the day of announcement till the sad day he passed I wasn’t thrilled for the tour because I simply didn’t believe in MJ the live artist anymore post HIStory tour. MSG was just painfully average for example even the dancing.

I’m gonna exclude the Destiny tour because I’ve never seen it.

Bad Tour
Dangerous Tour
Victory Tour
Triumph Tour
HIStory Tour
30th Anniversary

Bad
Dangerous
Victory - Triumph (cant decide)
History
30th

Lack of vocals aside, Mj did improve in refining the choreography and instrumentation on the History tour.

Last edited:
1. Bad 1988
2. Bad 1987
3. Triumph
4. Dangerous 1992
5. Victory 1984 (very close to Dangerous 1992 tho)
6. Dangerous 1993
7. History 1996
8. History 1997

HIStory tour
J5 tours (of what I've seen/heard)
Dangerous tour
Bad tour
Victory tour
Destiny tour

Victory Tour ( pure live and impeccable despite the fact that he did not want to do it as the family wanted more money ) , Bad Tour , Dangerous Tour , I would not even class History as a tour , well he toured but you might as well have put a CD on and listened to it .

Find it difficult to compare Victory, Dangerous and Triumph. With Dangerous the band sounded better (especially the synths & back up vocals), set list was slightly better, Michael’s dance vocabulary expanded, lighting was better and it had Michael’s best intro and outro but 40% of the vocals were playback while Victory was 100% live. Vocals also sounded much better on Victory, Michael was more energetic and at his zenith as a performer. The amount of playback is the main thing that holds back the Dangerous tour (also WYBT & HTW weren’t great performances compared to other songs).

Compared to Triumph Victory had a better setlist, lighting and dancing (only really seen in Billie Jean tho) but Triumph had a much better band, better vocals, there weren’t any long drawn out theatrics like in Victory (during the intro & before Beat It) and there didn’t seem to be any tension between the brothers. The lack of footage from Triumph makes it harder to compare the 2.

Find it difficult to compare Victory, Dangerous and Triumph. With Dangerous the band sounded better (especially the synths & back up vocals), set list was slightly better, Michael’s dance vocabulary expanded, lighting was better and it had Michael’s best intro and outro but 40% of the vocals were playback while Victory was 100% live. Vocals also sounded much better on Victory, Michael was more energetic and at his zenith as a performer. The amount of playback is the main thing that holds back the Dangerous tour (also WYBT & HTW weren’t great performances compared to other songs).

Compared to Triumph Victory had a better setlist, lighting and dancing (only really seen in Billie Jean tho) but Triumph had a much better band, better vocals, there weren’t any long drawn out theatrics like in Victory (during the intro & before Beat It) and there didn’t seem to be any tension between the brothers. The lack of footage from Triumph makes it harder to compare the 2.
This thread is not about comparing them though

It's a pain, isn't it? It's a bit easier for me bc I only go up to BWT 1987 but I'm still struggling. :eek:

OK, totally copying @filmandmusic here bc why not? If he can list Destiny and Triumph as equal 2nd then I can give them equal billing as well, lol.

1 - Destiny and Triumph
2 - BWT 1987
3 - Victory
4 - Live in Mexico 1975
5 - J5 1970 - 1972 - bit tricky bc I'm assessing this period based on not much material. We need more!

Haven't watched enough of BWT 1988 to decide whether to include it. Most likely it will end up at No.4 and push the others down a place.

It's a pain, isn't it? It's a bit easier for me bc I only go up to BWT 1987 but I'm still struggling. :eek:
Bad 1987 was a big improvement on the Victory and it’s great we have a few concerts from that leg. The first 2 shows in Tokyo in particular had the best performances Michael ever did of WBSS, Heartbreak Hotel, Beat It & arguably Human Nature.

I’d definitely recommend watching Bad 1988 tho; the set list, lighting, dancing, interludes and band all improved compared to the 1st leg and it feels more like a Michael Jackson show.

Bad 1987 was a big improvement on the Victory and it’s great we have a few concerts from that leg. The first 2 shows in Tokyo in particular had the best performances Michael ever did of WBSS, Heartbreak Hotel, Beat It & arguably Human Nature.

I’d definitely recommend watching Bad 1988 tho; the set list, lighting, dancing, interludes and band all improved compared to the 1st leg and it feels more like a Michael Jackson show.
Oh, I've seen quite a few bits of BWT 1988. Not as much as I've seen of DWT and nowhere near as much as I've seen of HWT. But enough. For example, '87 and '88 will always be two separate things in my mind which is why, if I get around to including it, BWT 1988 will be listed separately. Since this is just a bit of fun it hardly matters. :D

I saw a bit of '88 before I ever saw '87 but, once that happened, nothing was ever the same. I'd seen bits of Wembley and thought it was pretty good. Then I found BWT 1987 (1st show, black top) and literally the first few seconds just blew my mind to pieces and it went on from there. No comparison!

Anyway, I liked your earlier post and I'm reflecting on it and finding it quite useful, quite interesting ... 🤔

Oh, I've seen quite a few bits of BWT 1988. Not as much as I've seen of DWT and nowhere near as much as I've seen of HWT. But enough. For example, '87 and '88 will always be two separate things in my mind which is why, if I get around to including it, BWT 1988 will be listed separately. Since this is just a bit of fun it hardly matters. :D

I saw a bit of '88 before I ever saw '87 but, once that happened, nothing was ever the same. I'd seen bits of Wembley and thought it was pretty good. Then I found BWT 1987 (1st show, black top) and literally the first few seconds just blew my mind to pieces and it went on from there. No comparison!

Anyway, I liked your earlier post and I'm reflecting on it and finding it quite useful, quite interesting ... 🤔
Most songs were performed better on the 1st leg but I just love the songs added on the 2nd leg (especially Another Part Of Me which is even more enjoyable in high quality).

2 things I prefer about the 1st leg are that it was 100% live and the vocals. Luckily the shows in Kansas and New York had the best of both worlds (2nd leg set list, dancing, lighting, outfits etc… and the vocals were 95% live and sounded as good as the first leg).

I don’t know people for me Michael’s swagger on the Victory tour really is on a different level, the way he struts around the stage especially during BJ. I think it is because of the very fast pace the song is played on that tour.
It wasn’t replicated on the bad tour for me.

All his moves are so fast on that tour, extra energized. It is above the bad tour for me both vocally and visually

I don’t know people for me Michael’s swagger on the Victory tour really is on a different level, the way he struts around the stage especially during BJ. I think it is because of the very fast pace the song is played on that tour.
It wasn’t replicated on the bad tour for me.

All his moves are so fast on that tour, extra energized. It is above the bad tour for me both vocally and visually
I am getting through Victory slowly. I can't binge on these gigs. I always go through 'em *really* slowly. Might change my mind about Victory. I can still remember the days when I thought I would never watch Victory bc of the way Michael got pushed into doing something he didn't wanna do. Now I've heard TMIND, I can't go back, lol. He is fierce in Victory.

1. Dangerous (purely from visual appeal)
2. HIStory (undeniable visual appeal)
3. Bad (visual and vocal appeal)
4. Victory
That's all I have seen so far.

I don’t know people for me Michael’s swagger on the Victory tour really is on a different level, the way he struts around the stage especially during BJ
I need to see that again, though doubt it will change my ranking.

I'm gonna exclude the Victory Tour (technically Thriller tour) as it involves his brothers.

1st - Bad Tour 2nd leg , simply iconic and MJ had such an amazing aura around him. Best live vocals and his dancing was also an improvement from Victory. More robotic moves!

2nd - Dangerous Tour. Great toaster intro and live vocals were still very good. His dancing by this point absolutely amazing. He was so slick and extremely fast and better dancing than BAD.

3rd - HIStory tour. I hate to say it but it was a disgrace that he got away with the amount of lip syncing he did! The sets were pretty cool and he looked badass in all that armour but his dancing was poorer as he was obviously older and not as energetic/fast.

It's a shame because that was his best set list too. His live singing wbss and J5 medley was shit.

Still can't believe he got away with singing pretty much 2 live songs throughout the entire tour. A disgrace!

Back