Rod Michael's Demos from MJ (2005-2007) | Discussion

Speed Angel

Proud Member
I saw that little is said about the demos made by Rod Michael for MJ in the 2000s!

Particularly, I like "Don't Walk Away" and "What's Your Name"!
I think in Michael's voice, it would be amazing!

Who is Rod Michael? Never heard of him and his songs for MJ. Any source for this?

Who is Rod Michael? Never heard of him and his songs for MJ. Any source for this?
Rod Michael is a guy who claims that he submitted certain demos to Michael Jackson in 2007.

Rod Michael sings in these demos (as a vocal guide).

Rod Michael also claims that Michael Jackson rejected these demos because he had already released songs with such a sound.

There has not been any official confirmation (aside Rod Michael himself) that he actually submitted these demos to Michael Jackson.

If he did submit them then I kinda understand why MJ wasn't interested. They're not all that great.

They sound like, Casio tracks lol.

Which I guess sounded like Ne-Yo music vicariously.

Rod Michael is a guy who claims that he submitted certain demos to Michael Jackson in 2007.

Rod Michael sings in these demos (as a vocal guide).

Rod Michael also claims that Michael Jackson rejected these demos because he had already released songs with such a sound.

There has not been any official confirmation (aside Rod Michael himself) that he actually submitted these demos to Michael Jackson.
"U Are" sounds like part 2 of Butterflies

I like the songs (except "U Are"), but I recognize that compared to the other songs that MJ worked on, it's pretty low!

I wonder if the "Don't Walk Away" song that was written in the notes in MJ's bedroom was referring to one of those Rod Michael songs. It's weird that MJ was working on a song with the same title as a song he had released only 8 years prior though, I don't think he had ever done something like that before. It's as if MJ worked on a new song called Baby Be Mine for the Bad album lol.

I wonder if the "Don't Walk Away" song that was written in the notes in MJ's bedroom was referring to one of those Rod Michael songs. It's weird that MJ was working on a song with the same title as a song he had released only 8 years prior though, I don't think he had ever done something like that before. It's as if MJ worked on a new song called Baby Be Mine for the Bad album lol.
Certainly, Rod's "Don't Walk Away" would have been renamed so as not to be confused with the Invincible track!

Almost as weird as their being three songs called One More Chance!

These would’ve been solid hits for your average mid-2000s pop/R&B singer, but for MJ? Far, far, far below par.
Yeah, I guess they are not terrible but for MJ it just doesn't vibe with me. Maybe if I heard him on them it would be different as he has tranformed songs with his performance before, but as they are they just seem very average.

How about You Were There? I remember seeing it on a note. Is it the same song as the Sammy Davis, Jr. tribute one?

Very average. Maybe these songs would have sounded better with MJ's voice.

So that’s another one, then, @ChanceToDance!
The You Were There from 1989 was just an one-off performance so it doesn't count, exactly. This new Don't Walk Away song is interesting to me because MJ never worked on a song with the same name as one he had already released, at least not that we know of.

The You Were There from 1989 was just an one-off performance so it doesn't count, exactly. This new Don't Walk Away song is interesting to me because MJ never worked on a song with the same name as one he had already released, at least not that we know of.
Mhm… goalpost moved, I see. But it still ain’t true. When he released One More Chance, he had already released a song with that title two times prior.

Mhm… goalpost moved, I see. But it still ain’t true. When he released One More Chance, he had already released a song with that title two times prior.
I'm not trying to change the topic, I'm just quickly explaining why it's something he hadn't done before. Again, One More Chance doesn't count because the 2 first songs don't belong on MJ's solo catalog and he didn't have control in releasing them. And also, The Jacksons' One More Chance song isn't even MJ's song, it's entirely Randy's.

I'm not trying to change the topic, I'm just quickly explaining why it's something he hadn't done before. Again, One More Chance doesn't count because the 2 first songs don't belong on MJ's solo catalog and he didn't have control in releasing them. And also, The Jacksons' One More Chance song isn't even MJ's song, it's entirely Randy's.
But then the premise rightfully should read: “working on a song with a title shared by another song that he previously had released under his own name and since he signed with Epic – that’s something he hadn’t done before!”

Back