Samples from previous songs

Richard76

Heartbreaker
Country
Russia
Is it the truth that MJ was using samples from his previous songs? I just recently listened Speechlees, and there is definately part taken from You Are Not Alone song... Same situation with song "In The Closet", which uses sample from Smooth Criminal... So my question is was he really just taking samples to put it in new songs or he was re-recording it?

3:30 - in the closet
3:07 - smooth criminal
I think he's just sung the line again there, it sounds very similar on ITC but it lasts longer than on Smooth Criminal. Perhaps it was a different take

You know what I love both songs and I've never picked up on that

Who is it?

I often felt like some of his ooh aah and heehees showed up in some of his other tracks. I can't give a clear example for now but I often felt like "hey this sounds very familiar"!

It’s all perfectly normal. It’s like with a guitarist, you’ll hear certain phrases (or ‘licks’, as I said above) occuring now and then in different songs. The same applies to vocalists.

Having said that, it has nothing to do with the topic at hand, seeing as it’s labelled ‘samples’.

f&m, do you mean this sort of thing?

Some of the similarities in the first video aren’t similar at all, if you ask me. Like Leave Me Alone and Invincible, for instance.

Edit: The most obvious outlier is Unbreakable, though. I’m struggling to hear any similarities whatsoever. 🙄

Some of the similarities in the first video aren’t similar at all, if you ask me. Like Leave Me Alone and Invincible, for instance.
I agree. I posted it bc the person who did it presumably believes that there are similarities. So maybe other people will, also. But I am not entirely convinced. Re f&m's question, I probably should have only posted that second vid. That is the one that is more relevant.

Last edited:
not exactly the same words but same vocal melody:

The Jacksons Wondering Who - bg vocals hee hee hee love is blind vs Chicago 1945 (hee hee) found again
3:03f

2:49f

Ralph Tresvant Alright Now - (assuming Michael's demo is identical to this)
When we give to each other whatever we need, woo / We learn that by giving we'll always receive / And I know that our love will be all it can be vs Elizabeth I Love You - But through all the heartaches / When they put you down / You know, you were the victor / And you earned the crown / It's like, walking through the fire / Determined to win

3:15f

2:44f

@zinniabooklover

Yes you're second video is what I had in mind. I love it though when he repeats lines. That video is also incredibly cool, wonderful vocals! I like it when he slurs his lyrics.

@Themidwestcowboy well spotted! very cool!
Blame it on the boogie is one of my favorite songs from MJ. It’s so fresh and funky and I love his delivery!

He sung the same Adlibs on Scream that he sung on Blame It On The Boogie. Don’t know if that answers your questions but there are many instances like this, which is completely normal.
Mate that has blown my mind, I love both songs and those adlibs in both songs and I've never made that connection once

Back