Should they just release a bunch of outtakes in a boxset

Spaceship

Proud Member
Prince's estate did something like this, iirc. Remaster the very last version of the songs that MJ himself actually worked on and release them in a box set. Each disc would cover one era starting with Thriller and ending with post-Invincible.

Yes! That's what we want!
maxresdefault.jpg

Considering that Michael Jackson's vault is almost empty, if they just release a bunch of outtakes in a box set, then they would have nothing to release in the following years.

Considering that Michael Jackson's vault is almost empty, if they just release a bunch of outtakes in a box set, then they would have nothing to release in the following years.

I don't really see how they can release much else. There's not much public demand for another posthumous album or another rerelease. Dangerous 35? History 30? Invincible 25? 🥱

Wise men said the best is yet to come.
Throwing your life away, Rocker, Make or Break, Hot Street, If You Don't Love Me, Can't Get Your Weight Off Of Me, ...

Of course that is what we want. Michael and Xscape had only a very short shelve life so there is no future in those.
A boxset with outtakes and demos would be much cheaper, you don‘t need to advertise it as it is aimed at fans only and you don’t need to hire producers to make contemporary mixes.

what about ‘the ultimate collection’ box set? that was also released digitally on iTunes under a different name.

Would be too much work for too little money - The Estate.

They should also release a boxset with concerts, will they? Probably not, why not? Because reasons us mere mortals don't understand.

I truly believe they have more than we think.
But I also think there are many songs and demos out there that Sony doesnt have in their vault.
Feel free to disagree though 😀
Anyway I would definately buy a box set with some new unreleased tracks on it,similar to Ultimate Collection.

False. The vault is not empty. There is plenty of material that has yet to be released. This narrative is inaccurate.
Yeah, the estate could make multiple anthologies out of songs with incomplete vocals alone and still have enough for at least a couple of studio albums. The vault is rich in content depending on how you look at it.

Yeah, the estate could make multiple anthologies out of songs with incomplete vocals alone and still have enough for at least a couple of studio albums. The vault is rich in content depending on how you look at it.
I guess the estate doesn't want our money.

The estate don't see unfinished stuff in the same way we do. It's worthless to them.

The easiest project the Estate could ever put together is another box set like The Ultimate Collection. Split the track listing between demos of previously released songs and brand-new songs, ideally half-finished tracks that wouldn’t be applicable for any future albums.

Fans get new tracks and demos, and don’t have to repurchase music we’ve had for decades. The estate gets money and clears out the vault of material that they otherwise wouldn’t have use for. It’s a win-win.

I’m not someone who expects projects from an estate, but I find it odd that they aren’t at least exploiting the half-baked material at their disposal.

I think the bigger question isn't should they, or will they, but when are they. And who's going to have to sign off on it because it prolly ain't gonna be Branca.

I do think it's important to note that we have yet to reach the 15th anniversary of MJs passing yet, so so far we have had:

This Is It within the 1st year
Michael after 1 year
Cirque De Soleil after 2 years
Bad 25 after 3 years
Xscape after 5 years
This Is It 10th Anniversary after 10 years. And there was supposed to be more (new music) in 2019. But we all know why so much was derailed.

And various other songs, remixes, and other such things throughout the years and months. Thriller 40 last year, celebrating, well, 40 years of Thriller. It came 14 years after MJ died.

So by the time the 15th anniversary rolls around, if they want to be ambitious we'll probably have. The biopic. I imagine the goal is 2024, but I wouldn't expect before 2025. And various other releases to coincide with a significant anniversary every time. And if they decide to, they could wait for the 20th, 25th, or 30th mark, to put out a big box set.

Back