Song discussion - HIStory

I think that the song HIStory is a very empowering and inspirational song that makes me really happy every time I listen to it :) Other than the rest of the song, I think that the song has a really good ending as well by merging Michael's voice with a child's voice, similar to Heal The World (y) I love singing along to HIStory and it's actually one of my favorite songs on the HIStory album

It's one of my favorite songs of his - not in the way of Working Day and Night or Keep the Faith - but in a weird sort of way. It is not meant to be played over and over again; it's not something you could chill to or even enjoy. It sends out a very strong message in a very strong way - it mocks you to get you up, to look at yourself. Not like Man in the Mirror; it does so in a much harsher way. The beat is so damn badass and works very well with the verses.

I think HIStory (the entire album) was a masterpiece and a very mature piece of art. In many ways it trumps a lot of the material which came before it.

At one point, it was my favorite song by MJ. But I no longer feel the same. I think the song's relatively weak, honestly; I give it a 3/5. I do think it's very inspirational and deserved its place in the HIStory album, though.

It's one of my favorite songs of his - not in the way of Working Day and Night or Keep the Faith - but in a weird sort of way. It is not meant to be played over and over again; it's not something you could chill to or even enjoy. It sends out a very strong message in a very strong way - it mocks you to get you up, to look at yourself. Not like Man in the Mirror; it does so in a much harsher way. The beat is so damn badass and works very well with the verses.

Yes! I feel the same way about it. The main line of "Every day create your HIStory/Every path you take you're leaving your legacy" has always stood out to me from that song and I actually think about it from time to time. Makes me want to get up and make something of myself ya know? And even if it isn't big, what I do still has a legacy, an effect on other people and can make a world of difference for them.

I know some people aren't big on it but I like the prolonged intro and outro, with historical quotes and dates being given. The finish with the "One small step for man, one giant leap for mankind" is such a perfect ending imo. Finishing off with one of the highest points of human achievement in our entire HIStory, as if to say "look at what we can accomplish!". It really leaves you on a high note and giving you that extra push to stand up and go do something with your life. When you're in bed late at night and surround by darkness, listening to the song on your iPhone... the ending leaves you in silence and makes you think about the grand scale of the human race and what we have achieved. Well, it does for me anyway, especially after I saw this amazing compilation of video clips from the history of the world set to the song on YouTube... it really moved me but alas I think it was removed some time ago.

Ok I rambled a bit there but I think I'm gonna put this on again :p

EDIT: Right as the final chorus, you have that space chatter, ""And from the crew of Apollo 8, we close with good night, good luck and God bless all of you on the good Earth." I love that line too (despite being slightly edited from the original transmission). It makes me think of how even though we hear every day about bad things happening around this earth (especially with the rise of 24/7 news channels and the internet), the majority of people on this Earth are good people.

Yeah. This was one of the first ever MJ songs on Disc 2 that I fell in love with hehe.

Last edited:
Back