Songs (pre OTW & Triumph) That foreshadowed MJ the solo artist.

Themidwestcowboy

Proud Member
I've been thinking about this lately, if there is a song, or songs, that hinted at where MJ would go musically (with his voice,style and production and etc) before he made his first adult solo album? an obvious choice would be Heartbreak Hotel but that came after Off The Wall so i'm not counting that.

The other day All Night Dancing popped up on my Ipod and seriously everything about this song is SO MJ. It's so flagrant. Just listen to that pulsating beat and the rhythm that is very reminiscent of a lot of his uptempo songs like, The Way You Make Me Feel, Cheater, Smooth Criminal and more. The vocal style he used on that song, the staccato approach with sudden outburst of high notes was a stylistic choice he implemented in a lot of his song e.g Blood On The Dancefloor, Off The Wall, Jam, Wanna Be Starting Something and more. The Adlibs he did on that song are very similar to the way he did it later. Ain't nobody business but mine, dancing from nine to five, keep it grooving! Keep on dancing!" He even did the "Hoo Hoo" The Harmonies are there on the chorus when he says "All Night! The hiccups are even there , I'm telling you everything is right there in this song. With fresh ears take another listen to this song and pay extra attention this time.

[youtube]BEYYvnayKRQ[/youtube]

Do you have a song (pre off the wall) where you immediately go "Oh this right here is MJ the solo artist"? If so then what song?

Good topic.

Heartbreak Hotel. Foreshadows Billie Jean, Who Is It - those type of songs. (And I think even Rod Temperton said ones that Thriller was inspired by HH.)

Lyrically also songs like That's What You Get for Being Polite, Things I Do for You, Bless His Soul. Walk Right Now perhaps too.

Can You Fell It - as his first "world changing" anthem.

Good topic.

Heartbreak Hotel. Foreshadows Billie Jean, Who Is It - those type of songs. (And I think even Rod Temperton said ones that Thriller was inspired by HH.)

Lyrically also songs like That's What You Get for Being Polite, Things I Do for You, Bless His Soul. Walk Right Now perhaps too.

Can You Fell It - as his first "world changing" anthem.

Things I do for you is so poignant! Beneath the pretty beat is a really sad song and it was a recurring theme throughout his career. Lyrically being Polite is also another one

Bless His Soul for me. The way he signs Dangerous in the bridge section reminds of Dangerous the song.

Back