Subtle changes during tours that you've spotted

During the final dance routine for Smooth Criminal Michael always did a spin and a leg kick, but from 1993 onwards he stopped doing the spin and only did the leg kick. Wonder why

During the final dance routine for Smooth Criminal Michael always did a spin and a leg kick, but from 1993 onwards he stopped doing the spin and only did the leg kick. Wonder why

I think it has something to do with precision and stopping on time, if you watch his performance at MTV in 2001 with N'Sync you can see that the spin can take longer than expected and cause you to miss a beat.

I think it has something to do with precision and stopping on time, if you watch his performance at MTV in 2001 with N'Sync you can see that the spin can take longer than expected and cause you to miss a beat.

I hate how he took the spin out of the performance. The spin gives the performance an extra level of coolness. And on Bucharest 1996 he does the spin but doesn't do the leg kick.

I hate how he took the spin out of the performance. The spin gives the performance an extra level of coolness. And on Bucharest 1996 he does the spin but doesn't do the leg kick.
same for the rehearsal footage in TII

They also made some subtle changes to the video (with segments of his music videos and highlights of his career) that was played on the video walls right before the ‘Billie Jean’ performance during the HIStory Tour.

The video of the earlier HIStory concerts was longer and included shots that were cut from the later HIStory concerts.

For example, in the later HIStory concerts, towards the end of that video they cut his ‘Human Nature’ pose, but they also cut the ‘Thriller’ scene in which while hugging Ola Ray he turns to the camera smiling with these scary eyes.
I just watched and compared some 1996 and 1997 shows, and turns out the video interlude has never change. In 1997 Johannesburg show (the very last show), the Human Nature pose (1:00:31) and the Thriller staring the camera scene (1:00:20) were both there.

Am I misunderstanding something? Can you share a video and make a timestamp of where you see the difference?

At some point in the later part of the 1996 leg, Michael started to yell "MACHO!" and 'DO IT" for some reason during Beat It and he did it througout the entirety of the 1997 leg.

Also, during Earth Song, the lift sometimes spins at different speeds depending on the show. For example, during Munich the lift was running at it's normal speed so Michael goes back onstage after the "do we give a damn" line. However during both Copenhagen and Gothenburg, the lift was running faster, so Michael went back onstage in the middle of the last part of the "what about us" part. For Kuala Lumpur, the lift was running REALLY fast as it was already done with it's sequence during the "where did we go wrong, someone tell me why" line.

Was he wearing the Billie Jean glove in right hand instead of left hand during Dangerous tour? I can't tell, but that would be a major change?!

Last edited:
Was he wearing the Billie Jean glove in right hand instead of left hand during Dangerous tour? I can't tell, but that would be a major change?!
Yeah. In fact, correct me if I am wrong, he wore it on his right hand on the Victory, Bad and Dangerous Tours. It was this way for 1996 leg of the HIStory Tour as well, but somewhere between Sydney (last seen on left hand) and Manila (first seen on right hand), he began to wear it on his right hand and never took it off. It's kind of strange he would remove his glove mid-performance if he wore it on his left, but kept it on when on his right. Oh well

I think we are getting left and right all mixed up! In Dangerous he was wearing it on the right hand, the hand that also had the tapes. During HIStory, I saw it on left hand, the hand which also held the šŸŽ¤. I found that odd because it was not the 'dancing' hand! I was hoping some long time fan knows the story behind the change.

I just watched and compared some 1996 and 1997 shows, and turns out the video interlude has never change. In 1997 Johannesburg show (the very last show), the Human Nature pose (1:00:31) and the Thriller staring the camera scene (1:00:20) were both there.

Am I misunderstanding something? Can you share a video and make a timestamp of where you see the difference?
They kept subtly changing the 'Remember The Time' video interlude throughout the entire HIStory Tour.

For example, compare the Prague concert (1996) with the London concert (on July 12th, 1997).

In the Prague concert, the 'Human Nature' pose is at 1:04:01, but it was removed from the London concert.

In the Prague concert, the 'Thriller' smile with the scary eyes is at 1:04:09, but it was removed from the London concert.

Or, in the Prague concert, the 'Dirty Diana' car scene is not included, but that scene is included in the London concert (58:50).

Prague concert:

London concert:

They kept subtly changing the 'Remember The Time' video interlude throughout the entire HIStory Tour.
Man, now I see it, thank you so much!

and I just watched Budapest, it was the same as Prague too, but in Seoul they already changed it to the London way. So I'm guessing this is a change that happened in the very early phase of the tour. Have you observed any other changes of this video in the later part of the tour (I watched and compare a few but didn't find any)?

During HIStory, I saw it on left hand, the hand which also held the šŸŽ¤. I found that odd because it was not the 'dancing' hand! I was hoping some long time fan knows the story behind the change.
Could it be because he was wearing a ring on his other hand?

It seems like it was prone to falling off. I don't think putting a glove over it would help.

It seems like it was prone to falling off. I don't think putting a glove over it would help.

That makes sense. Yes, it was prone to falling off! I have seen two other clips where it fell off. Though somehow he always found it and put it back on!! I read somewhere that after a while he gave up and removed the ring. Perhaps the glove then went back to left have. Have to find that again.

Back