The 9 HIStory Statues by Derek Howarth

I wonder why none of the statues faces look like the album cover?

The statue on the album cover (and HIStory teaser video) was made by a different artist, who probably spent more time to get it right, or simply had more talent. She (Diane Walczak) also worked with direct feedback from Michael.

I wonder why none of the statues faces look like the album cover?

1. They are designed to be looked up at from the ground, which is at least 30 feet (plus a plinth) below, so the perspective has to be different.
2. The original 'big statue' model was sculpted at speed from photos of the album artwork. Diana W. had about 7 months (and a session with the real MJ) to work on her artwork - the statue creators not so much. The two models were also made in different materials, with different sculpting properties.

Last edited:
I have to watch the filming process of her doing it again. I remember that she was pregnant during this entire thing. But I never thought about looking at it from ground up. That makes no since what so ever but to each its own. I do understand different artists & etc but imo the face is1 thing that shouldve matched the album cover. Even the thriller bust (shown on the making of thriller) looks exactly like the original history statue

Back