The best thing about the bad era

filmandmusic

Proud Member
Is that Michael really pulled out everything he got for promotion. He did a grueling 2 year tour, performing 7 songs of the album ( should have been 10 but i’m not gonna complain) Plus a grammy performance for the ages.
7 out of 10 songs got a video ( 8 if you count APOM)
He even let us taste a song plus a video of a track that didn’t make the album ( come together), he even released an initially non album track as a single with video (leave me alone) arguably 3 tracks if you count we are here to change the world on captain EO.
9 out of 10 songs were singles (plus LMA)
He even recorded one song in 2 foreign languages for other markets.
the odd one out is just good friends.

The story goes he wanted it to be a triple album. The amount of leaks and extras we got out of this era points towards this being a true story. You make the count…
leave me alone, come together, fly away, free, i’m so blue, we are here to change the world, do you know where your children are, loving you, someone put your hand out, don’t be messing around, al capone, abortion papers, price of fame, streetwalker, throwing your life away, cheater

This would be 26 songs added up with the original 10, almost 3 discs, all of those are either complete or near completion. we also know he worked on TDCAU, black or white and earth song during these sessions.

Which ones haven’t leaked or haven’t been released yet?

Last edited:
The story goes he wanted it to be a triple album. The amount of leaks and extras we got out of this era points towards this being a true story. You make the count…
leave me alone, come together, fly away, free, i’m so blue, we are here to change the world, do you know where your children are, loving you, someone put your hand out, don’t be messing around, al capone, abortion papers, price of fame, streetwalker, throwing your life away, cheater

This would be 26 songs added up with the original 10, almost 3 discs, all of those are either complete or near completion. we also know he worked on TDCAU, black or white and earth song during these sessions.

The list gets much deeper, there are songs like Chicago 1945, Be Me 4 A Day, Turning Me Off, Make Or Break, Tomboy, Apocalypse Now, Buffalo Bill, Crack Kills, What You Do To Me. Some of those have been considered for posthumous albums so I believe we'll hear them eventually.

Is that Michael really pulled out everything he got for promotion. He did a grueling 2 year tour, performing 7 songs of the album ( should have been 10 but i’m not gonna complain) Plus a grammy performance for the ages.
He even let us taste a song plus a video of a track that didn’t make the album ( come together), he even released an initially non album track as a single with video (leave me alone) arguably 3 tracks if you count we are here to change the world on captain EO.

Wow. That is one awesome triple album right there. That would have been total immersion in Michael World. I think Bad as it stands is a great album but this would have been an awesome statement from Michael. I listen to his '90's stuff more than the '80's songs but if Michael could have realised this vision it might have been his magnum opus. Thriller would have it for the sales but a triple Bad would have it as his statement of intent to the world. I really believe this would have been a magnificent artistic achievement, even by Michael's standards.

I always think of Michael as being an entire universe in one body. If this triple album could have happened it would sort of be the encapsulation of Michael as that universe, iyswim.

I always wished Bad had been a double album because it seemed like the right time for Michael to do that. I'm not sure why I had that thought but that was my thinking back then. But my thinking was also quite simple and basic. To me, a double album from Michael = more songs = more videos = more dancing. But now, with this idea of a triple album and seeing all the potential songs listed together like this (adding them in my mind to the existing album), it takes on a whole different character. It goes beyond more dancing.

I wish the world could have figured out how to cope with Michael. I don't care if this idea was trashed by the record company or his management or economic considerations or time considerations or whatever it was. I really don't care. I just wish someone somewhere could have figured out how you deal with a creative genius like Michael so he gets to do the stuff he needs to do. I'm not talking about indulging Michael's every whim. That's not healthy for anyone. I mean recognising that moment when you have to let an artist fly. If he had been able to do this project he probably would have been slagged off for having an overblown ego but he got that anyway so it doesn't matter. Was the world ready for Michael's brain? Probably not.

Seeing the songs listed together like this. Gorgeous. ☺️

Last edited:

Throwing your Live away wasn't recorded untill 1988.

The narrowed down list with 33 song candidates would have looked like this, I guess.

12. Streetwalker
13. Price of Fame
14. Fly Away
15. Cheater
16. Don't be Messin Round
17. Do You Know Where Your Children Are
18. Tomboy
19. Al Capone
20. Learned My Lesson
21. What You Do To Me
22. Crack Kills
23. Pyramid Girl (diffrent song than Liberian Girl?)
24. Chicago 1945
25. Get Around
26. Turning Me Off
27. I'm So Blue
28. Someone Put Your Hand Down
29. They Don't Care About Us
30. If You Don't Love Me
31. Make or Break
32. Lonely Man
33. Buffalo Bill

Isn't this song from the Invincible era? It was listed on Rodney Jerkins's website, or is it a rework/different song?
That along with Cheater and Chicago 1945 were listed on Rodneys website. I suppose these songs were reworked.

Someone with knowledge at hand, how many of the as of yet unreleased or unleaked tracks listed above by @Fuzball are as good as complete?
I would really like it if the Estate finally came up with a figure so that at least we know where we stand... It all seems so chaotic, I'd gladly archive and order it all, they only have to ask me I'd do it for free lol.

Last edited:
Someone with knowledge at hand, how many of the as of yet unreleased or unleaked tracks listed above by @Fuzball are as good as complete?
I would really like it if the Estate finally came up with a figure so that at least we know where we stand... It all seems so chaotic, I'd gladly archive and order it all, they only have to ask me I'd do it for free lol.
Chicago 1945 and Turning Me Off were considered for Xscape so they can be considered complete enough for a release.

Crack Kills was meant as a duet with Run-DMC, MJ couldn't figure out how to incorporate Run-DMC onto the track but a demo with MJ's full vocals exists.

Tomboy wasn't worked beyond 1985, but apparently it features a "funky guitar riff" and the melody is pretty similar to Remember The Time.

Buffalo Bill isn't musically completed but it has full vocals.

As for Make Or Break Michael only did a reference vocal, a background vocal and a reference bridge.

I don't know whether it's complete or not but JR Robinson said he recorded a 6 and a half minute of military drum cadences for Apocalypse Now and also said that other 3 musicians laid down percussions for the track.

Well, the estate is run like a business, not with passion. So they would do something only if they think it will make money and they will benefit.

Back to original topic, I am very new here, so I cannot claim to know a lot. Though now that I have started listening to the unreleased and late released singles, I can see why they were not included. It might have turned out to be same complain as people have from Invincible. Too many songs, too many similar songs. Also Bad has a street vibe, some of these are too soft goodie goodie songs. They are still awesome, and it speaks to the genius of Michael both as song writer and album producer.

The story goes he wanted it to be a triple album, but the story may not be true.

Michael Jackson himself had a very clear vision from the very beginning of the 'BAD' album sessions.

His vision was to sell 30 million (or more) copies with the 'BAD' album, and of course he knew that this was feasible only with one disc full of potential hits (just like the format of his two previous adult albums).

He even used to carry 30 cents in his pocket (during those 'BAD' album sessions) for symbolic reasons, because he wanted to match or surpass the 30 million sold copies with this album.

But even if Michael Jackson really wanted it to be a triple 'BAD' album, the record company would never have allowed that.

The record company knew that such a release would pose a high monetary risk because the manufacturing costs of a triple album would be big while the sales of such a triple album would be much lower.

His vision was to sell 30 million (or more) copies with the 'BAD' album, and of course he knew that this was feasible only with one disc full of potential hits (just like the format of his two previous adult albums).

He even used to carry 30 cents in his pocket (during those 'BAD' album sessions) for symbolic reasons, because he wanted to match or surpass the 30 million sold copies with this album.
Not true. It has been mentioned repeatedly that he wanted Bad to outsell Thriller from the very start and Thriller had already sold 38.5 million copies worldwide by August 1, 1985. So, the story of him carrying 30 cents in his pocket (which I have personally never heard before) seems to be false.

It was Michael’s goal, actually, to sell over 100 million copies with Bad, pretty much from the very start - this is the figure that he would apparently write on mirrors and on sheets of paper from that time (1984-1987).

So thriller sold from november 82 till august 85 a total of 38 million copies
How were the sales of Bad after a similar time period, so from roughly september 87 till april 89?

It is kind of disappointing Michael wanted to beat the record, he should have been realistic enough about it, it was impossible. For thriller everything just clicked in the right place at the right time. 3 of its singles are complete pop classics that will still be played 100 years from now, the moonwalk debut, breaking the barrier of anti black music on mtv, the thriller video which was nothing short of groundbreaking, the victory tour, the record breaking grammy awards. It just all clicked.

I’m pretty sure the aim was to do better than off the wall nobody knew the success was gonna be that big

Last edited:
Back