The Jackson 5 Thread

1676598815794.png

sending well wishes to the family 💜

I always thought that the jackson 5’s Hollywood Palace appearance was the most significant; it was the debut of ‘I want you back’, and the introduction from Diana Ross - whom their first album would be titled after. sammy davis jr was also one of Michael’s entertainment influences. in a way, he was passing the touch to little michael 💜 this performance was even portrayed in ‘the Jacksons America dream’ mini series.

I've seen fragments of this footage before but never with the audio. Michael's voice at 2m 38s - omg!

Quality is dreadful, picture keeps breaking down - which is odd bc the other bits I've seen are much better quality than this.

4m 35s

@filmandmusic / @83magic / @staywild23 - you've already seen this, yeah?

Quotes from Michael about Rose Fine, tutor to the Jackson 5 / Jacksons - all from mjjjusticeproject.wordpress.com. Unfortunately, no information on exactly where these quotes come from although in the comments below there is a suggestion that they came from a 2003 interview. There is also a comment there from Rose Fine's grandson.

"Caring Michael: Miss Rose Fine who was Michael and his brothers tutor when they were young and on tour. Some of Michaels thoughts on Rose in 2002.
Edited: …

Rose Fine, who was my beloved childhood tutor and who traveled with me and my brothers when we were all in the Jackson Five. MJ: After the show I would run into [Rose Fine’s] room. We’d read and have warm milk and I needed that so b…adly. She would always say to me, “The door’s open”, and she would leave her door open.

“It was Rose who instilled in me a love of books ,and literature that sustains me today. I read everything I could get my hands on. New cities meant new places to shop. We loved to shop, especially in bookstores and department stores,” “She [Miss Rose Fine] taught me the wonderful world of books and reading and I wouldn’t be the same person if it wasn’t for her.” ~

Q: Rose Fine, although she wasn’t your biological mother, was able to show you a lot of motherly affection?

MJ: And boy did I need it. I was never with my mother when I was little, very seldom, and I had a wonderful mother. I see her as an angel, and I was always gone, always on tour, doing back-to-back concerts, all over America, overseas, clubs, just always gone. [Rose Fine] was with us all the way from the very first professional tour of the Jackson 5 until I was eighteen.

MJ: Rose died this year, Janet and myself, we paid for her nurse and her hospital care, or if her television broke down or the electricity, or there was anything wrong with the house, we would cover the bills. Now her husband is sick, so I am taking care of him, and because we felt she is our mother and you take care of your mother… She was more than a tutor and I was so angry at myself that when she died I was far, far away. I couldn’t get there."

Posting this quote as this is new info to me. Quote from Journal of Michael Jackson Academic Studies podcast - interview with Susan Rogers (previously a sound engineer with Prince, now an academic teaching at Berklee College of Music).

Susan worked on 3 tracks on 2300 Jackson Street and talked to Jackie about his early experiences with J5.

34m 40s - Jackie describes a typical recording session when J5 had to do their vocals

35m - " ... everybody would show up at the session ... the secretaries would be there with their husbands and their children ... the control room would be just full of people ... my brothers and I would have to perform on the other side of the glass ... Berry Gordy and our Dad there ... it was terrible"

Susan - 'those kids were under so much pressure ...'

@zinniabooklover he sounds like on the record, great vocals. One of my dreams is there is tons of the Jackson 5 footage hidden somewhere.
Occasionally I come across fleeting references to masses of unreleased Tamla stuff lying around ... somewhere! But no details. :(

We need that stuff and we need it now. I mean, yes, to J5 film footage. Of course. I want that, too. I want all of it. But I want the unreleased Tamla recorded material, also. I'm assuming there's J5 stuff in there.

Last edited:
The Jackson 5 - Flip Wilson Show - 4 November 1971 - 6m 4s

medley - I Want You Back / ABC / The Love You Save

from 3m 13s - Never Can Say Goodbye (really interesting arrangement)

Last edited:
There is the last video in the link from their recent performance on a festival. Marlon obivously still not there because he is ill. Taryll stepped in.

I watched that performance but the singing was truly awful. Jackie and Tito are not known for their vocals so must be difficult now having to be lead.

As a 4 piece, they were pretty good as Jermaine has a good voice and was able to do most of the singing but he's obviously been missing for a few years now.

Apparently Marlon has stage 4 cancer? That's terrible and wish him well🤞

J5 cd release is scheduled for 10/13. A week later on 10/20 there'll be a J5&MJ release. 🤔I'd say these are "new" compilation cds. I'd like to be proven wrong.

edit:
@Thatkliqkid can you pŕovide links to both cds? Can't find them on Amazon UK.

Last edited:
I've pre-ordered them (can easily cancel if it's something I already have.) Like @Michaels Lover said though if it was new we'd probably have heard?

I feel like if the pandemic hadn't have happened we might have got new stuff for Motown unreleased 1970. Seems to have fallen off the radar now.

Links:

I feel like if the pandemic hadn't have happened we might have got new stuff for Motown unreleased 1970. Seems to have fallen off the radar now.
The pandemic as well as LN have put plans on shelves likely. Late 2019 had marked the 50th Anniversary of J5's Motown debut.

When specificly asked about the Bobby Taylor sessions Harry Weinger said it isn't impossible to release them on cd. Such release would have happened most likely around 2019/2020.☹

I would love to hear the Bobby Taylor sessions. I think he pushed the max out of Michael giving him challenging songs to sing and Michael would have not become such a great emotive singer without him.

The pandemic as well as LN have put plans on shelves likely. Late 2019 had marked the 50th Anniversary of J5's Motown debut.

When specificly asked about the Bobby Taylor sessions Harry Weinger said it isn't impossible to release them on cd. Such release would have happened most likely around 2019/2020.☹
True.
I love the early Bobby Taylor stuff. It's a shame we don't get expanded J5 releases. I impatiently dream of the day the rumoured covers of "Ain't no mountain high enough" by J5 are released. Supposedly they did one like Marvin/Tammi and one like Diana.

Back