The media feeding frenzy on the Michael Jackson Story. Behind the scenes of the tabloid press.

qbee

Proud Member
The media feeding frenzy on the Michael Jackson Story. Behind the scenes of the tabloid press.

Why not just tell people I’m an alien from Mars?
Tell them I eat live chickens and do a voodoo dance at midnight.
They’ll believe anything you say, because you’re a reporter.
But if I, Michael Jackson, were to say, “I’m an alien from Mars,
and I eat live chickens and do a voodoo dance at midnight,”
people would say, “Oh, man, that Michael Jackson is nuts.
You can’t believe a damn word that comes out of his mouth.”

~Michael Jackson

The media feeding frenzy on the Michael Jackson Story.
Behind the scenes of the tabloid press.
Tabloid Truth: The Michael Jackson Story
<embed src="http://mjtruthnow.com/wp-content/uploads/2010/12/player.swf" height="360" width="480" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" flashvars="&autostart=true&file=http%3A%2F%2Fmjtruthnow.com%2Fwp-content%2Fuploads%2F2010%2F01%2FFrontline-Tabloid-Truth.flv&image=http%3A%2F%2Fmjtruthnow.com%2Fwp-content%2Fuploads%2F2010%2F01%2FFrontline-Tabloid-Truth-480-x-360.png&linktarget=_self&plugins=viral-2d&title=Frontline%3A%20Tabloid%20Truth">

Correspondent Richard Ben Cramer goes behind the scenes to investigate
television coverage of the Michael Jackson story.

In this look at the people, organizations, and economic pressures
that have led to the tabloidization of American television,
Frontline uncovers media bias.

Source: http://mjtruthnow.com/

I watched that whole documentary, very interesting. Thank God there are still decent media outlets out there like PBS. Do you know when this documentary was aired? It looks to be from the 1990s.

Was aired Feb 1994 ..

From pbs
Tabloid Truth: The Michael Jackson Story
Feb. 15, 1994
60 minutes

On a quiet Sunday morning at home in the San Fernando Valley, a freelance reporter got a call from an expert in child sex crimes: Michael Jackson was under investigation. By the time the reporter's story aired twenty-four hours later, the media feeding frenzy was underway. Within a matter of days of the first report, the Jackson story had jumped from hard, verifiable news to spectacle and entertainment. FRONTLINE correspondent Richard Ben Cramer goes behind the scenes of the television coverage of the Michael Jackson story to look at the people, organizations, and economic pressures that have led to the tabloidization of American television. The program follows a few of the most exuberant and successful of the tabloid press as they pursue the Jackson story.

Producer(s): Thomas Lennon

http://www.pbs.org/wgbh/pages/frontline/programs/info/1210.html

I have never seen this documentary before , thanks for posting it qbee

Very interesting. Thanks Qbee.

I don't like the end. It's the usual suggestion about Michael buying his way out of the criminal process. They should really hammer home the difference between the civil case and the criminal case. Alright this doc wasn't really about that but the media's dealings, and about that it was interesting.

People really should calculate in the media's role in these allegations - something that is not there in non-celebrity cases (or not to this extent). Most of the prosecution's "prior bad acts" case in 2005 was built on the kind of people we have seen here! Blanca Francia, the LeMarques - they testified in 2005.

I don't know how people can accept the dealings of this kind of media as OK. They distort the truth, twist facts - it's absolutely unethical.

I personally think the Chandlers too fed the media. The National Enquirer was their go-to media. And Diane Dimond, of course.
In Ray's book Dimond is called Evan's "best ally"...

There is an interview Ray gave to the NE in 2004 and in that he praises the NE how he and his family always read it through the 1993 scandal and how "amazingly accurate" it always was. LOL. Yeah, the Chandlers fed them with many of those stories. It's clear from the fact that the same stories then appeared in All That Glitters 11 years later, with the exact same expressions. For example there is that scene when June, Jordan, Lily, Michael and Brett travel to Neverland in a limo in February, 1993. ATG describes that scene as Brett sitting on Michael's lap, while Michael kissing him with "soft, lingering kisses". The exact same words ("soft, lingering kisses") were used in an article in the NE in 1993. I'm pretty sure that story came from the Chandlers. BTW, when June testified in 2005 she described Brett as sitting next to Michael, not on his lap and she never mentioned any "soft, lingering kisses". She didn't describe that scene as something disturbing. That was only Ray/Evan's embellishment. The only people who knew about that limo trip were Michael, Brett and the Chandlers - I'm sure it wasn't Michael or Brett who gave the NE that story.

Regarding that story which is also mentioned in the above report - the NE story about the Chandlers being "Michael's new family" in May, 1993. That too came from the Chandlers. ATG claims a sister of a friend of June's sold the story to the NE, but I don't believe that. I think it was Evan. And this is how the NE connected the dots after the allegations went public and found out that the accusing family were them and found their address, IMO.

The Chandlers played the media game very much, so it's very hypocritical from them when they say they didn't want to participate in the criminal trial because they were wary of publicity.

I personally think the Chandlers too fed the media. The National Enquirer was their go-to media. And Diane Dimond, of course.
In Ray's book Dimond is called Evan's "best ally"...

There is an interview Ray gave to the NE in 2004 and in that he praises the NE how he and his family always read it through the 1993 scandal and how "amazingly accurate" it always was. LOL. Yeah, the Chandlers fed them with many of those stories. It's clear from the fact that the same stories then appeared in All That Glitters 11 years later, with the exact same expressions. For example there is that scene when June, Jordan, Lily, Michael and Brett travel to Neverland in a limo in February, 1993. ATG describes that scene as Brett sitting on Michael's lap, while Michael kissing him with "soft, lingering kisses". The exact same words ("soft, lingering kisses") were used in an article in the NE in 1993. I'm pretty sure that story came from the Chandlers. BTW, when June testified in 2005 she described Brett as sitting next to Michael, not on his lap and she never mentioned any "soft, lingering kisses". She didn't describe that scene as something disturbing. That was only Ray/Evan's embellishment. The only people who knew about that limo trip were Michael, Brett and the Chandlers - I'm sure it wasn't Michael or Brett who gave the NE that story.

Regarding that story which is also mentioned in the above report - the NE story about the Chandlers being "Michael's new family" in May, 1993. That too came from the Chandlers. ATG claims a sister of a friend of June's sold the story to the NE, but I don't believe that. I think it was Evan. And this is how the NE connected the dots after the allegations went public and found out that the accusing family were them and found their address, IMO.

The Chandlers played the media game very much, so it's very hypocritical from them when they say they didn't want to participate in the criminal trial because they were wary of publicity.

I'd like to know who was the author of that Michael new family article.

Barbara Sternig and David Duffy

The exact title is: "Michael Jackson's secret family - a millionaire's wife and her two kids". It was published on May 25, 1993.

Back