Thriller 40 Billboard Challenge

Wow. Will this Actually work!??

Stream and buy all you Can.

I guess sales will be combined for all sales of Thriller, right?

The Thriller Challenge is still going through November 3rd. One of the ways we've been generating streams is through streaming parties, using the app "Stationhead." All you have to do is download Stationhead and connect your music app to it (it does require a premium account, but you can get free trials if you do not have one already). Once you do that, you just join the streaming party by searching for "Infectious Groove" (the host).

I have joined several of these streaming parties and they are cool! There is a live chat which can be fun, but you don't have to participate in that. I joined the party last night while I was in an art class and just left my phone in my purse. It's super simple and a great way to get streams :)

as a thank you they could release a BD-Concert box? I mean they got a lot money from streams/sells :D

Does anyone have a clue if it is realistic for Thriller to enter the chart for the first time?

Will it enter top 10? - or what position do you think is realistic?

Does anyone have a clue if it is realistic for Thriller to enter the chart for the first time?

Will it enter top 10? - or what position do you think is realistic?
My hope after being heavily invested in this, streaming 24/7 from multiple devices and accounts, buying as many versions of the single as possible, joining streaming parties every night, and following all of the numbers... my HOPE is top 10. I have no idea if that will happen. I will be satisfied if it's higher than 19, honestly (last years peak).

The thing is, the competition was nuts this year. Taylor Swift's album, Jin from BTS and Rhianna dropping a single for the first time in 6 years. It was a tough go. But no matter what happens I feel really proud of us fans. It was a literal constant effort for a week straight and a labor of love for Michael. But I got a lot out of it too, especially with the streaming parties with Taj and Prince. So no matter what happens, it was at least meaningful to me.

Sorry, I know this doesn't answer the question with numbers or anything. I'm just decompressing from the whole experience.

For those interested, I wanted to share that fans are organizing streaming parties throughout the release week of Thriller 40. I participated in most of these during the Thriller Challenge week and they honestly were so much fun. Basically, you just log into the Stationhead app and you join via a link, or by searching the name of the host and finding their channel. Once you are in, you are listening along with a group of fun, positive, and excited fans. There is a live chat that is very active, but you don't have to participate in that if you don't want to.

Truly, for me, the highlight was the hosts (who were in most cases long time fans with a deep love for Michael) along with the guest appearances from Taj and Prince. I'm not sure if they will join this time or not, but it was pretty exciting to have them in the chat with us interacting, so I hope it happens again!

For more info, visit the Thriller 40 website here! :)

So what was the result of this challenge? Any final update?

So what was the result of this challenge? Any final update?
Yes!

So, Thriller the album reached #19 on the Billboard 200 which was pretty huge. The highest it's been this century! So that was exciting.

Unfortunately, however, the Thriller Challenge for the song wasn't as successful. It landed at #24 on the Hot 100. While this is really exciting for a 40 year old song, it was disappointing because last year it reached #19 without this effort. However, some context I've learned since then is that last year Thriller was trending on TikTok leading up to Halloween, which lead to it appearing in more playlists and reaching the general public more broadly.

Interestingly, the numbers for streaming, sales, and radio play were all up this year from last year, but chart placement was not as strong. The main factor for this is presumably Taylor Swift releasing her album, as well as several other big releases (including Rhianna's first single in 6 years) and a number of other big artists. Also, I'm not sure how much this impacted Thriller's numbers, but there was strangely a change in how radio play was evaluated in the overall ranking mid-week during the Thriller Challenge. Very strange and unexpected. Again, I'm not sure if this helped or hurt Thriller, but it is notable.

So in all, the Thriller Challenge didn't reach the height the organizers hoped for, but it did do pretty well all things considered! I was personally hoping for a top 10, but hey. There's always next year!

Back