TV performances, video and scattered documents list (J5, Jacksons, MJ...)

Maxym

Proud Member
Donations
$6.00
I’ve been compiling some data.

The idea
I thought that it may be tedious to find one’s way across all the TV performances, especially those from the '70s. They may contain live, covers, alternative versions, one-time performances etc.)
There are also song pieces hidden in various video documents (thinking in example of For The Good Times or of that very short piece of a Peter Pan song).
It may also be tedious to find the precise context for some performances/songs (accurate show title, episode…) I never stumbled upon a detailed list for this*… though I guess a lot of information must be spread across wiki pages…

(* Well, now I have, but there were things I listed that they missed, and reciprocally, and we don’t target the same details.)

The super cute URL to access the list (read only)
https://cryptpad.fr/sheet/#/2/sheet/view/J-+GaQjpPGNjWWGohqCR3r1uli83F3qripRJTdCrQ1U/

List description
So, I made this list targeting primarily the TV performances and video documents containing "official" (officially broadcasted) Michael Jackson’s songs/music. The list somewhat extends to more than this but its actual scope is unclear at this time… and I think "better have too many information than not enough, while it’s accurate and somewhat structured".

But I don’t think that this list should be expect to someday seem perfectly exhaustive and accurate, and I see it as something that can evolve, get re-verified and refine over time (when I find time).
Also keep in mind one of its goals is to help find documents (YouTube videos, official DVDs), not to be an exhaustive summary of MJ’s career.

While compiling this, I also thought that having a chronological view helps seeing what happens before or after other things.

Help and feedback would be appreciated
If you have suggestions in order to complete/correct the list, or answers to the enigmas from the "More information required" tab, please contact me (using this thread or messages, as you feel like) (do not leave comments in the document).

Also, initially I wanted to mark performances as Live/Partial live/Playback… but that was too much to assess at the same time as compiling, so that column is very incomplete.

Technical aspects
I wanted a datasheet host where the document could be accessed in read-only mode (at least for now) and that would not require personal data (like Google accounts or phone).

I’m currently testing this host which only requires a login and a password to find one’s documents.

Currently known technical limitations:
  1. I was told that it does not work on mobile. -> On mobile, you should have the option to load a page in "Desktop" mode.
  2. In-document comments don’t seem to work. And anyway, I don’t recommend using them for now (explained in the document’s "Description" tab I think).

Updating/sortig stuff from the "Unsorted" sheet.

Can someone confirm if these two are from the Carol Burnett Show that aired on 24 January 1976?
Which also as the songs "Anybody Named Jackson", Forever Came Today (playback mix), and a medley.
(The costumes match, but they may have used the same costumes on other occasions.)

And then, is this one really also from the same show? I think the year matches but not the costumes:

Last edited:
So the first 2 reportedly were from Soul Train 1975 (which I don't think is listed on IMDb.)
The last one was confirmed to be from the Carol Burnett Show from 1976.

Next thing I was to sort out is
Suzuki - Love my message campaing

Here's what I got so far:
Off The Wall Suzuki advertisement:
Don't Stop Til You Get Enough advertisement:
Making of Suzuki:

Questions

- Are there other/more complete documents?
- Making date AND air date is unclear. Some sources say 1979, some say 1980, some say 1982... Do we know accurate air date(s) and accurate making date(s).

I appreciate and applaud the effort. I will make use of this often I reckon, thanks

Thanks.

Regarding "Suzuki"
Someone on another forum pointed to this picture where MJ is sitting in front of a Jacksons Live advertisement, which was out on 11 November 1981 , so the shooting can hardly be before that
66681989_469428070300269_5438486356986691584_o-1012x1024.jpg

He also points that the scooter model was presented to public in 1982.
And also that Epic / Suzuki vinyl records were released between end of 1981 and 1982.

The following picture was publishing in a Japanese magazine in April 1982.

160845.jpg

We also think that MJ wouldn't have done this from March 1982 as he started working on Thriller.

-> So, best guess for now is between November 1981 and March 1982. (but still not sure...)
List updated
I have finished the details of the songs from
  • The Jackson 5 1972 TV Special
  • The remaining episodes from the Jacksons Variety Show
Questions
But I am still missing some information about the latter two topics.

From The Jackson 5 1972 TV Special (
)
  • Who is the original artist for Day Dreamer? Is a Jackson 5 original?
From the Jacksons Variety Show
  • On The Wall Is it a Jacksons original? Who is the original artist?
  • She's the One or One from season 2, episode 5 (February 16, 1977, who is the original artist?
  • Who performs this instrumental version of I'll Be There in that ends all episodes?
  • Who performs the Opening Theme from season 1? And does it have a title?
  • Does the Opening Theme from season 2 have a title (several episodes mention that it is performed by the Jacksons)
  • Who performs Midnight at the Oasis in season 2, episode 5

Last edited:
Just stumble on this.

Questions
  • Can anyone confirm the date "26th February 1977", which surprises me somehow as it seem like the only perform Motown songs. (The first three videos contain One Day In Your Life , Happy , I'll Be There , Dancing Machine , Body Language (Do The Love Dance)
  • And then, the 4th video which seems to come from the same show, contains extracts of Never Can Say Goodbye and Ben but weirdly the video description on YouTube mentions that they performed the songs Can You Remember and Oh How Happy (which could have been confused with Happy?)
  • Is this a regular concert or a T.V. show?

Regarding the Jacksons Variety Show
New question(s)
  • Who is the original artist and writer for Bei Mir Bist Du Schön (Means You're Grand)? (Season 2 episode 1, 19th January 1977)
Answers
I received the following info about the previous questions
  • Daydreamer is reportedly an unreleased Motown track written by the Jackson 5.
  • On The Wall was written by one of the show writers (Ray Jessel) and register under Peacock Music (so yes, it is a Jacksons original)
  • One is a cover from Broadway show *Chorus Line* written by Marvin Hamlisch (music) and Edward Kleban (texts)

Last edited:
Back