Unpopular opinion about World Music Awards 2006

PurpleThriller

Proud Member
The vocals that Michael performed during ''We are the world'' at WMAs in 2006 were the best ones that he had ever done for this song,live.
Do you agree?

Last edited:
His particular performance at that event was plagued by certain problems that also adversely affected his live vocals.

In terms of technical issues, there was definitely something wrong (Michael Jackson at one point even looks at the mixing desk).

Also, they did not play the instrumental version of the song, instead they chose to play the studio version of the song which seemed to confuse the singer while he was trying to sing live his lines.

Some people noted that this event was a disaster for Michael Jackson, such as the English celebrity publicist Max Clifford who noted that the singer at that event destroyed his on stage image (as a performer) by singing one mangled line and several messy high notes.

His particular performance at that event was plagued by certain problems that also adversely affected his live vocals.

In terms of technical issues, there was definitely something wrong (Michael Jackson at one point even looks at the mixing desk).

Also, they did not play the instrumental version of the song, instead they chose to play the studio version of the song which seemed to confuse the singer while he was trying to sing live his lines.

Some people noted that this event was a disaster for Michael Jackson, such as the English celebrity publicist Max Clifford who noted that the singer at that event destroyed his on stage image (as a performer) by singing one mangled line and several messy high notes.
Yes, he couldn’t hear himself.

@PurpleThriller
I agree with you. Beautiful live vocals and I especially like the unusual vocal run he did somewhere in there.

Only you could wake up and post something like this.

Yeah it is great, awesome even but short, so short.
Unfortunately for the world he often seemed embarrassed to sing live especially later on in his career when he started to look really different. He did not feel comfortable about himself a lot of the time and it is regrettable but understandable.

calling it "performance" when he sang just 4-5 words and his last performance was 2002/2003.
expected way more back then. huge letdown.

I was there. What performance are we talking about? The guy before entering Earl's Court he said he would NOT perform. Then due to the crowd and organisers pressure, he came back on stage, still holding his award in one hand to sing a long. Who would ever perform holding an award?

Impressive. I've never thought that someone could surpass me when it comes to negativity. I'm flattered,I must admit

Last edited:
I remember the rumor was that he was going to perform Thriller which ended being performed by Chris Brown. And if Michael was going to perform Thriller that would have been an odd choice because he's never performed that as a one off at an award show.

And the WATW vocals sounded great. Especially since it was spur of the moment

Last edited:
His appearance got hyped up because he was due to perform Thriller as others have said , MJ himself shot this down on the red carpet and sid no and that it was a misunderstanding.

I remember the papers/media next day saying that he was booed off stage, what a lot of crap!

For the few lines that he did sing, he sounded great. It was amazing to hear him again after several years of inactivity (trial etc)

He still had that same magic in the arena, the hysteria was still there for all to see.

Back